[NFBMD] URGENT: Individuals Needed to Go To Annapolis on January 30, 2024

Maryland President president at nfbmd.org
Fri Jan 26 19:24:13 UTC 2024

All,

The House Ways and Means Committee will be holding a briefing on electronic
ballot return for individuals with disabilities and military and overseas
voters at 1PM on Tuesday, January 30, 2024.  We need everyone who is
available to attend this briefing.

We recognize that our Congressional appointments in Washington, DC are that
day, so we're are asking those who committed to going to DC from Baltimore
in particular to consider shifting to Annapolis instead, and we're asking
those who are otherwise available to come as well.  A van will leave NFB at
11:00AM.

Rest assured, we are not leaving Washington unattended - we have a great
group of folks from the Sligo Creek chapter, some of our students, and our
BISM staff and students who will be in DC.  I myself will split my day and
start out in DC and then head to Annapolis, and then back to DC for the
Congressional Reception.  I may have a couple of seats in my transportation
if someone wants to do that as well.

This briefing in Annapolis is vitally important, as we saw the agenda, and
there are no blindness or accessibility experts scheduled to testify.  In
fact, the only expert that will testify is a security "supposed" expert who
has been linked to the Stop the Steal campaign and has been discredited by
his peers.  He's a fear-mongerer, and his research is dubious at best.

We need blind people to show up to be seen so the General Assembly
understands it can't just ignore us, and it can't use what we believe based
on what we've seen and heard, is a poorly conducted study to silence us as
we fight for our rights.

If you are able to go to Annapolis on Tuesday, please contact me by 5PM on
Sunday.  Please also tell me if you plan to take the transportation from the
NFB.  The van will leave at 11AM and we expect we will return roughly around
4PM.

Thanks,

Ronza

Ronza Othman, President