[NFBMD] Legislative Alert: HB0107 / SB0943 - Better Bus Services Act

Maryland President president at nfbmd.org
Sat Mar 30 21:36:14 UTC 2024

Hi Friends,

We are asking our members and friends to mobilize on the Better Bus Services
Act, specifically the Senate version, SB0943.

As you know, the House previously stripped protections for bus stops and
curb cuts from its version of the bill, HB0107, and we're concerned that the
House Environment and Transportation Committee will do the same with the
Senate version of the bill.  House Environment and Transportation will hear
the Senate version of the bill, which did keep the protections in, this
Tuesday, April 2.

We need everyone to call and email the House Environment and Transportation
Committee members to urge them to retain and vote favorable on the Senate
bill and to resist amending it to conform to the House version.  Below you
will find some language you can use, and please copy Annapolis at nfbmd.org
<mailto:Annapolis at nfbmd.org>  when you send your emails.  You can also call
the members of the Committee, but please  let me know if you do so.

Dear Delegate [Name],

I am writing to urge you to vote in support of SB0943, the Better Bus
Services Act, and I am asking you not to support amending the Senate bill to
conform with the House Bill, HB0107.  This is because the House version of
the bill, when it was amended, changed the bill from being a pro-disability
bill to an anti-disability bill.  Blind and low vision Marylanders like me
use public transportation to move around in our communities, to get to
medical appointments, to get to work, and to do all of the things that
others without disabilities do.  However, we're dependent on bus services,
and we need bus stops and curb cuts to be unobstructed.  Because people stop
and park in bus lanes and curb cuts, blocking them, Marylanders with
disabilities can't safely or independently cross the street or get on and
off the bus.

For example, we use our canes and the curb cut to line up with the
crosswalk, which then enables us to safely cross the street.  But when a
vehicle blocks the curb cut, we have to step into traffic to cross, and we
may veer into a moving traffic lane.  Others using wheelchairs also can't
get on or off the sidewalk when the curb cuts are obstructed.  In terms of
bus stops, we depend on them as tactile landmarks for where the bus will
pick up passengers, and we need to be able to hear the audio announcements
to identify the right bus.  If a vehicle is obstructing the bus stop, then
we can't easily identify the buses as they arrive since they are often not
near the bus stop, and sometimes we can't hear them at all; that means we
are missing the bus because a vehicle driver blocked the bus from picking us
up where  it is supposed to do so.  Others using wheelchairs or other
mobility devices also need buses to stop at proper bus stops in order to
safely get on and off the bus, because bus stops are designed to have enough
space and clearance for bus ramps; other areas along the road may have
obstructions like treewells, signs, poles, and stoops, which mean those in
wheelchairs may not be able to safely board or debark a bus other than at
the bus stop.

The bus lane monitoring mechanism applicable to bus stops and curb cuts is
precisely what made this bill a pro-disability bill, and removing those
protections means that those who obstruct bus stops and curb cuts can
continue to prevent people with disabilities from safely and independently
moving around our communities.  In fact, removing these protections is the
same as telling violators that it's OK to do so.

For these reasons, I ask you to support SB0943 as is and keep the bus stop
and curb cut protections in the bill.

Please contact me if you have questions.

Thanks,

[Your name]

Members of House Energy and Transportation Committee

Marc Korman, Chair

Marc.Korman at house.state.md.us <mailto:Marc.Korman at house.state.md.us>

410-841-3649

Regina Boyce, Vice Chair