[NFBMD] New Update on HB1076 / SB1091 - Textbook Equity Bill

Maryland President president at nfbmd.org
Sat Mar 30 20:43:17 UTC 2024

Hi Friends,

Here's an update on our Textbook Equity for Blind Students Bill.

SB1091 was passed out of the Senate earlier this month.  The House held a
hearing on the Senate version of the bill, and yesterday, the House Ways and
Means Committee gave SB1091 a favorable report.  The full House is expected
to take it up on Monday evening, and a second vote will happen either
Tuesday or Wednesday, assuming the first vote on the House floor is
favorable.  This means that this bill will hopefully pass out of both
chambers by the end of the week, and we'll head to Annapolis for a bill
signing in May.

Regarding the House version, HB1076, the Senate Education, Energy, and
Environment Committee has not yet scheduled it for a hearing.  This is not,
I'm assured, because they oppose the bill; it is instead because they are
completely overloaded with legislation.  The Senate has to hear the bill and
get it out of Committee by this Friday for there to be enough time for the
full Senate to vote on it.  Nonetheless, because the House is poised to move
the Senate version of the bill, having the Senate move the House version is
a "nice to have" but not essential.

I'll keep you posted as we move toward the finish line here.

Ronza Othman, President

443-426-4110

Pronouns: she, her, hers