[nfbmi-talk] FW: [NFBAffiliatePresidents] Bush lauds Biloxi man - NFB chapterpresident

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Tue Dec 16 04:12:04 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbaffiliatepresidents-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:nfbaffiliatepresidents-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Wilson,
Joanne
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 11:15 AM
To: NFBAffiliatePresidents at nfbnet.org
Subject: [NFBAffiliatePresidents] Bush lauds Biloxi man - NFB
chapterpresident

Thought you might interested in seeing this article about one of our Chapter
Presidents. Hats off to Kendrick.
Joanne

-------------------------
Bush lauds Biloxi man

Blindness overcome

By MARIA RECIO - SUN HERALD WASHINGTON BUREAU

President Bush, speaking at the winter commencement of Texas A&M University
in College Station on Friday, named Biloxi resident Kendrick Kennedy as one
of the most inspirational people he has met during his presidency.

"I thought I would share a few of the most powerful examples of courage and
service that I have witnessed over the past eight years," Bush said.

"America is blessed to have citizens... whose hearts are big enough to share
the greatest gift of all - the gift of love.

"Kendrick Kennedy shared that gift... after Hurricane Katrina struck his
hometown of Biloxi, Mississippi. Even though his own house had been damaged,
Kendrick put others first - helping family members find shelter, and
cleaning up debris in neighbors' yards. There's another piece of the story:
Kendrick is blind.

"A few years before the storm, he lost his sight - and his job. But he
refused to let that hold him back. He enrolled at Mississippi Gulf Coast
Community College. I met him there when I spoke at his commencement (in
2006). He went on to the University of Southern Mississippi, where he became
the first blind student to graduate summa cum laude.

"Now he's in law school in Ole Miss. And this good man has set a high goal -
to serve our country as a justice on the Supreme Court."

Earlier this year, the University of Southern Mississippi selected Kennedy
as one of 17 students, earning a degree from the Gulf Park campus, for the
2007-08 Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges. In a
news release the school described Kennedy as a management information system
major in the Southern Miss College of Business, and said he served as
president for both the Southern Miss Gulf Coast Student Government
Association and the National Federation of the Blind - Gulf Coast chapter.

Kennedy couldn't be reached Friday night for comment.