[nfbmi-talk] Newbie...

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 26 00:44:25 UTC 2009

We have both read Braille from the age of four. We use a computer without a
mouse or monitor. A software package called Jaws reads the screen to us. We
do all of our input with the keyboard, and keyboard commands. In third
grade, I learned to type on a standard type writer keyboard, so the use of
keyboarding skills is not new with the computer. My husband has a degree in
Computer Information Systems and is eager to have a full time job in the
access technology field.  I have a Master's in Voice Performance.
Unfortunately, there is an eighty percent unemployment rate among blind
individuals, so neither of us has had a full time job. He works at the local
library for the blind ten hours per week, teaching blind, and other disabled
individuals how to use adaptive computer technology. I sing in two choirs,
one of them being the church choir, do as much solo work as I can, and teach
a few voice lessons. My next statement will probably surprise you. You said
you cannot imagine being totally blind. My blindness is due to septo optic
dysplasia, which comes with other health issues. If I had a chance to fix
one thing, blindness would be at the bottom of my list. With proper training
in techniques of blindness it can be reduced to the level of a physical
nuissance. Blindness is definitely not a tragedy.