[nfbmi-talk] Fw: E O C Election

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Mon May 3 15:11:20 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Zanger, Connie (DELEG)
To: president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Cc: Cannon, Patrick (DELEG) ; Martin, Carrie (DELEG) ; Heibeck, Cheryl (DELEG) ; Hull, James (DELEG) ; James Chaney ; Shane Jackson
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 7:53 AM
Subject: E O C Election

Good morning, Larry;

Director Cannon asked me to respond to your E O C election inquiry of April 19th.

When the Automark voting machine was about ready to go to market, the Elected Committee was fortunate that the manufacturer offered them the use of the accessible voting machine as a test of the machine's capabilities.  Last year (or perhaps the year before) Risa Patrick-Langtry tried to get a local municipality to loan the E O C an Automark voting machine for the election.  She was unsuccessful, in part because the local municipalities were unable or unwilling to provide staff to ensure the safety of the machine and that the machine was used properly.

B E P is, and has been, very sensitive to the Committee's concern.  To that end, several years ago we contracted with a C P A firm or law firm to proctor the election.  It was quite expensive.  For the next election, Roger Houghtaling (then a Committee member), suggested the Davison Lions Club would be happy to conduct and proctor the election for a nominal fee ($600).  The Davison Lion's Club has conducted the E O C election each year since.

Following is the established procedure for the Election.

The third party contractor's responsibilities in regard to the election are:

*           Provide four (4) people to perform the following services.

*           Attend the Saturday morning Workshop session and record the names of the nominees.

*           Assist the hotel staff in setting up voting booths.

*           Record nominee names and label the ballot boxes.

*           Secure both the voting booths and the ballot boxes.

*           Assist voters, as requested by the operator, in casting ballots in correct ballot boxes.

*           Count votes and report to proper authority.  It had been the practice for the Lions Club to provide the election results to the Assistant B E P Program Manager.  Last year the results were provided to both the Assistant B E P Program Manager and the E O C Chair.

*           Any other assistance that may be required

B E P staff's responsibilities in regard to the election are:

*           Establish a purchase order for the election proctor

*           Make arrangements with the hotel for the election booths

*           Retrieve the ballot boxes and keys from the warehouse and deliver to the Workshop location

*           Make accessible paper ballots for the election

*           Generate a list of eligible voters (i.e., active operators) for the use of the election proctor

*           Turn over the ballot boxes, voter list and accessible ballots to the election proctor Saturday morning prior to nominations

*           Serve as a resource to the election proctor should they have questions.  This includes being present near the voter registration table (which is located outside the room with the voting booths) to advise the election proctor if there is a question as to voter eligibility.  Traditionally, the Assistant B E P Manager performed this function.  From last year forward, an E O C representative (not running for election) and the Assistant B E P Manager perform this function jointly.

The traditional practice has been to announce the election results at the banquet.  As there was a single mandatory training session on Saturday this year after the election, election results were also announced at the Saturday afternoon session.

The Workshop Subcommittee met many several times in the past 12 months.  I do not recall that the integrity of the election was at issue.  The Subcommittee certainly did not take any specific action or make a motion that the election process be changed.  As of Sunday morning, Larry, I'd not heard any disparaging remarks in regard to the E O C election.  James Chaney chose Joe Sontag to proctor the election with James Hull.  I think that was the perfect choice!  While Joe and I may not always share the same point of view, I think you will agree he is a man of good character, committed to following the rules.  In fact, James Hull reported to me that after the election as he and Joe Sontag were walking back to the meeting room to report the results to James Chaney and I, James Hull noted to Joe that some operators may still not be satisfied with results of the election.  Joe responded to James that he was very satisfied the election was run fairly and properly.

I trust this information satisfies your inquiry.

Regards,

Constance Zanger

Business Enterprise Program Manager

Michigan Commission for the Blind