[nfbmi-talk] College Policy

ly schuck laschuck at juno.com
Thu May 20 19:37:14 UTC 2010

Hi NFB friends, I am forwarding to you an email from Geri Taeckens
regarding the college policy and the June 21st meeting to work on the
policy.  There are some attachments that I hope will come through.  One
of those is JoAnn Pilarski's suggested policy, which may be important to
look at.  Please note that if you send anything to Geri regrading the
policy, send it by June 14, and put colpol in the subject line.  Lydia
Schuck

 To all interested constituents who want to provide input to the MCB
college policy.

Please be sure to e-mail your comments to Commissioner Taeckens at the
following e-mail address.

accesstherapy at gmail.com
  Be absolutely sure to put colpol in the subject box or I may not open
the e-mail.  All comments will be combined into a document which will be
put on MCB’s list serve and generated to anyone who submits ideas by June
14, a week before the college policy work meeting on Monday, June 21, at
the Victor building, time and room yet to be announced.  If you would
prefer to call, my phone number is 906-635-3439. I do not take calls
after 9 p. m.  I will return all calls when possible.  Feel free to share
this e-mail with anyone who might be interested.

I have attached documents that will help you in your provision of input
to the college policy process.  I still need to acquire the Free
Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA,), so we have all the
documents that relate to this policy. I will forward this on when I
receive it. If anyone has a request for other related documents, just
ask.

Below is a summary of the items that need to be addressed.  Welcome
aboard this rather unique process and thank you for your partisipation.

Sincerely,

Commissioner Geri Taeckens

Policy Items  to be considered:

I. Mission statement:
Purpose of policy

Policy A.  Prerequisites for college and other post secondary training
What should the policy say?
Procedures:
1.  Should include   College preparation, when, where, skills to be
address?
2.  Address responsibilities of client and councilor for locating
educational institution, what documents required
3. The IPE process and what should be included?

Policy B.  Accreditation
Must include clarification of accreditation,

Procedure:
1.    Exceptions?

Policy C.  Duration of Training
Policy should address time lines, coarse loads. Should this all be listed
under the IPE.

Procedure:
1.    Should include clarification of semesters,
2.    Address summer school,
3.    Need to take breaks in educational program.
4.    , changes in majors or in IPE goals.
5.    address number of associates, bachelors, secondary  degrees,
6.    Community verses 4 year college.

Policy D.  Financial Aid
Must, by RSA requirement, identify that MCB can only provide financial
aid after other resources are exhausted.

Procedure:
1.     Should address Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA,),
2.     must clarify SSI benefits can’t be utilized for tuition and
supplies,
3.     what scholarships can not be considered by MCB to supplement,
4.     What MCB can and will pay for related to education.
5.     MCB responsibility to assist with finding other grants and
resources available to students to help offset the cost,
6.     Need to address DELEG/MCB Statement of Financial Need.
7.     Some statement of support for students whose families might not
contribute despite what (FAFSA) says.
8.     Must also address deadlines for paper work to be submitted.
9.     Discuss the question, how does MCB help students not end up with
college debt and stay with in the federal and state guidelines for
financial support?
10.                       Address out of state or abroad colleges.
Should, can, MCB pay more than the in-state fees?  What circumstances
should be considered?  Is this an IPE issue?
11.                       Discuss the Memorandum of Understanding, (MOU)
the role and responsibility of MCB and the client to address issues of
conflict between the 3 entities.  This may need to be a separate policy.
12.

Policy E.  Academic Progress
Must address responsibility of clients and MCB  for providing financial
support based on educational performance.

Procedures:
1.     Define probation.
2.     How can client access help, when, where if having educational
difficulty?
3.     What will happen if student is on probation?
4.     What are the financial responsibilities for client, MCB if client
takes incomplete or fails a class?
5.

Policy F.  Advanced Degrees/Graduate Degrees

Statement of MCB financial provision  for advanced degrees.
Procedures
Discuss acceptance of client request for advance degree under what, if
any circumstances.
Address academic issues and how it related to continued financial
support.

Scanned for viruses by EUPTC Internet Service