[nfbmi-talk] Hello Donna,RE: College Policy

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sat May 22 02:27:47 UTC 2010

Hello Donna,

Thank you so much for your kind words. As I think about how to respond to your question, I am wondering what specifically about internships you would like to see included in the policy. Are you wondering if the Commission could help find an internship for someone or if the Commission would help pay for living expenses so that a student could participate in an internship?  I know some academic programs require a sponsored internship as a part of the academic program. I would think this would be covered by the Commission since it is a part of the academic program and generally counts as a credit on a student’s transcript.

At one point in time, there was a section in the policy on employment services, but the review committee took it out of the policy. Since the main goal of the Commission is to help someone become employed, they did not believe it should be specifically included in the college policy. Since I agreed with their reasons, I have not included this in any of the drafts that I have created. However, this does not mean that it cannot be included if others think it is important. I will see what others have to say about this tomorrow at the board meeting.

Elizabeth