[nfbmi-talk] Minutes, August 28

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 00:57:35 UTC 2010

Minutes, August 28

10 A.M. to 3 P.M.

Doubletree Hotel

5801 Southfield Road

Detroit, MI 48228

(313) 336-3340

Quorum yes

Board members included, Larry Posont, Mike Powell, Terri Wilcox, Peter Zaremba, Marcus Simmons, Dave Robinson, Melinda Latham.
Around 35 people attended including the board.

Secretary's Report A motion was made by Dave Robinson, and seconded by Mike Powell to approve the Secretary's Report. The
Secretary's report was approved.

Treasurer's Report. Peter Zaremba. Beginning Balance 1901.

Donations and Grants, $2605.

Fund raising sales revenue at National Convention, $1,100.

Total Revenue $3705.

Expenses, Legal fees $3090

Donation to Sun Fund, $250.

Nonprofit Filing Fees, $120.

Phone Expense, $329.

Routine Operating Expense, $53.

Total Expenses $3843.

Ending Balance $1762.

Reserved Funds for Summer Youth Activities, $20,000.

Camp Flier Printing, $21.

Braille Camp Expenses $5,700.

Science Camp Expenses, 5,328.

Culinary Camp Expenses, 5,400.

Total expenses for summer programming so far were $16,449.

Balance $3,550.

Newsline Fund, beginning Balance, $1,287.

No Revenue

Expenses for Welcome Packets, $38. Ending Newsline Balance $1,248.

A Parent Division Could is being held until the Board is reformed. The amount is around $4000. Phone expenses will be less because
of switching services. Dave Robinson moved and Mike Powell seconded the motion. The Treasurer's Report was approved.

President's Report. The Commission does not want to approve policy written by National Federation of the Blind. We are getting to
Pat Cannon. Pat Cannon took on Larry Posont publicly in the meeting. Larry Posont asked the Board to allow him and Joe Sibley from
MCBVI, plus one Commission staff member and one Commission Board member to look at staff training. Cannon stacked the meeting with
staff, so Larry Posont tried to address the issue. None of the people originally suggested to be part of the meeting had an
influence on the agenda. The original intent of the meeting was not followed. Pat Cannon is the problem with the agency. There are
still problems with the signage at the Victor building. Dol, rather than the Commission, controls the budget. Larry Posont intends
to write Jo Ann Pilarski and the board to encourage their involvement in the budget. The Commission Board gives away its policy
making power. It was commented that  Commission Board meetings are changing dramatically because of the Nfb. The state plan is
updated. The Board heard standards for the first time. The Board is trying and there is a difference. There is surplus money in the
Commission for the Blind including 4 million in stimulus money and 4 million from the regular budget. The Commission for the Blind
didn't know how to take advantage of the available money by asking to increase their spending authority when needed. Nfb is the
largest and oldest organization of the blind in Michigan. Our tone or email is not liked by members of the Board but we will do our
job. The Board was reluctant to recognize our donation for Camp Tuhsmeheta.  The agency has money and cannot use this as an excuse
to deny service. Senators denied two Commission Board reappointments. The new governor will reappoint the Commission Board next
year. The Governor also appoints the chair. We must educate the new Governor. We need to invite the candidates for Governor to our
Convention. Larry intends to write letters to invite gubernatorial candidates to our State Convention. Stipends for Commission Board
Members were cut. It is speculated that Pat Cannon cut stipends to board members to weaken the Board. We stand behind blind people
even if we do not get much from it. We advocate for blind people even if it hurts us. We will not back down even if we do not look
for a fight.

Law Suit the Commission for the Blind Board refused to talk to us. The Board does not seem willing to separate issues and still
conduct business. There was a long discussion about the law suit. Jo Ann Pilarski is realizing that we are fighting the bad
instructions the Commission Board received from the Attorney General more than the Board itself.

Commission Board Meeting, August 27. If we were not involved in the college policy, it would have been very bad, anti blind people,
anti student and also illegal. Yesterday they adopted an imperfect policy. Students are in a better position than with the old
policy. According to the Rehabilitation Act, the  Commission is not able to pick and choose what they pay for. Elizabeth Mohnke was
trying to get the Deleg form excluded, but it stayed in the policy. There are places in the policy where Commissioners did the right
thing. The Deleg form is very bad if the financial office does not return the form in a timely manner. We discussed how closely the
policy that passed conforms with our excellent policy that we passed at the May 28 NFB Board meeting. We thought it was close with
the exception of the Deleg form. It was suggested that a motion about what points we oppose on the new policy should be passed.  We
discussed Cannon's statement that Commission for the Blind workers still have opinions as blind people. In the morning half the
audience was Commission Counselors. The student/counselor relationship should be one of mutual respect. The Commission Board wanted
data. Dave Robinson recommends an action plan about our disagreements concerning the policy. Fred Wurtzel suggests a resolution at
Convention. He will write one with Elizabeth Mohnke to be voted on at Convention. We need to check the policy that goes to Rsa and
the one that is included in the Minutes. The Consumer Involvement Committee meeting is September 15. Pat Cannon is anti consumer and
anti Rsa. A board resolution calling for Cannon's resignation to the governor is proposed.

State Convention. Fred Schroeder will be the National representative. A banquet ticket is $35, $45 if you do not preregister. It
costs $15 for registration $25 without preregistration. Rooms cost $85 per night plus tax for the hotel. Make reservations for the
hotel no later than two weeks prior to the start of Convention. Kim Mohnke is seeking ideas for a theme for the flier. Education and
life long learning are themes which are proposed. There will be no formal senior day. There will be a Parents meeting. Andrea Nelson
expresses interest in blind parenting. Mike Powell urges that we try to help parents become a part of the organization. Dave
Robinson proposes a parents reorganization meeting along with a student meeting. Elizabeth Mohnke suggested building the student and
parent divisions as these were not represented at the current Board meeting. It was suggested that we urge a group of friendly
people to mentor parents who attend. Dave Robinson heads the Resolutions Committee. A resolutions meeting is proposed for Friday
afternoon. A social is proposed for Friday evening. Auction proceeds will go to Youth outreach. Marcus Simmons moved and Mike Powell
seconded the fund raiser/karaoke/pumpkin motion. Dave Robinson moved and Marcus Simmons seconded the motion to give three awards.
Melinda Latham proposes a scavenger hunt for the youth, using limos to find clues throughout Dearborn. Donna Posont urges
individuals to bring door prizes.

Please have Agenda items to me as soon as possible, no later than September 15.

Youth Outreach Bridge Walk 2010. Three camps were sponsored by NFBMI at Camp Tuhsmeheta. Melinda Latham thanks Camp Tuhsmeheta
volunteers. Melinda Latham is going to The National Center as a mentor to other youth coordinators on September 24-26. It is six
days away from the Michael Seay Memorial Bridge Walk. We have obtained 2 air conditioned buses for $1000 including gas and a driver
and a volunteer. We will have our own boat tour of the Soo locks with the best captain for explanations. Thirty nine people are
attending. Fifty percent or more of the people attending are not Nfb members. On Saturday evening, we have dinner at a restaurant
with our own banquet space. We will talk about the Nfb and why we call it the Michael Seay Memorial Bridge Walk. The budget for the
Bridge Walk was discussed. We want contact information for Camp Tuhsmeheta students. Soon, Peter Zaremba will provide us with the
Camp Tuhsmeheta budget.

Mike Ellis spoke on audio streaming and equipment needs. A motion was made by Peter Zaremba and seconded by Mike Powell to give $200
for Mee Inc. for the streaming.

We discussed the possibility of having the 2011 convention in Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo.

New Business: Switching the State phone services will save us around $45 per month.

We have Nature's Finest Bounty on our website. Individuals can buy many varieties of coffee via a credit card through our website.
It is our goal for other blind entrepeneurs to have their goods and services advertised on our website. We have our banner almost
completed. We want the top three suggestions from members about our website content. Newsline is suggested. Send suggestions to

f.wurtzel at att.net

 The financial costs for the website can be finished in 15 hours at $35. Last year, we had a motion to move the website forward. We
will get contact information as well as order information from individuals making coffee purchases on our website.

Old Business:

Imagination Fund grants are due September 1. Three grants were requested. These include: scholarships from the student division,
Youth Outreach for $5000, and a grant for Washington Seminar. Dave Robinson favors seeking grants that will grow the affiliate.
Elizabeth maintains scholarships draw students. Fred Wurtzel volunteered to write the grant for the Washington Seminar. Dave
Robinson volunteered to write a grant for chapter organization.

Pac Plan. The division or chapter with the largest increase in Pac giving will win a cash prize.

Meet the Blind Month. The Western Wayne County Chapter is having Dine with the Blind at The Senate Coney Island and passing out
information at the Performing Arts Center. They will also sell cherries. A birding by ear class is being offered.

Chapter Reports The Detroit Chapter had a picnic of 51 people with 40 blindindividuals in attendance. The talent show is postponed
to the spring. Mike Powell's band is playing  jamborees and  donating the profit after expenses to the chapter.

The Ann Arbor Chapter is new and meets the second Saturday of the month. The Lansing Chapter had a picnic at Fred and Mary's.
Lansing sponsored 2 youth for the Bridge Walk. Lansing is having Whose Whozit, and having a Macy's fund raiser. Fred has a science
camp DVD. MeeInc. was also advertised.

The Kalamazoo Chapter had 17 people at the meeting last Thursday. They are having an increase in attendance!

Upon the completion of our Board Meeting around 3 P.M. The Western Wayne County Chapter sponsored a picnic/fund raiser at Larry
Posont's

house. For $10 per person, we had steak, baked potato, and corn on the cob. After expenses were paid for the

food,  profit went to the Western Wayne County Chapter.
Adjourn at 3-05.

Thank you for working together to change what it means to be blind in Michigan.

Email: president.nfb.mi at gmail.com