[nfbmi-talk] Matter of Oppinion

Fred wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Wed Apr 6 17:28:31 UTC 2011

Hi larry,

your comments are right on.  I do not announce my blindness on the cover
letter, though I do include my Federation accomplishments on my resume.  I
do not want to let some screener's prejudices get between me and an
interview.  I, as you have expressed, have my reasons ready if the topic
arises, though it never has.  The woman in the commentary was a wacko.  I
feel no obligation to warn people of my blindness any more than a black
person or a woman or a short person or a person with red hair needs to feel
an obligation to declare their characteristics.  How about those hidden
disabilities, either inherited or self-inflicted?  Does the heroine addict
declare their addiction to their interviewer?  My blindness is far less
debilitting than addiction, yet it would most certainly rule me out of some
or many interviews.

Warm Regards,

Fred