[nfbmi-talk] FW: Literacy Provides Opportunities

Fred wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Tue Dec 13 15:32:43 UTC 2011

From: Brian Mac Donald [mailto:contact at nbp.org]
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:00 AM
To: f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Subject: Literacy Provides Opportunities

Having trouble? View this message on our website. <http://nbp.convio.net/site/R?i=97pR0m-mb-pq0KXqFfa20g>

 <http://nbp.convio.net/site/R?i=N7U2q4R9Q_bnCwRYMPXryw> Description: End of Year Stationary

 <http://nbp.convio.net/site/R?i=8CaFoddp_diBhOUNVgJgzw> Donate |  <http://nbp.convio.net/site/R?i=4h5hTzVCKcHJMnq50gtKGw> Tell A Friend |  <http://nbp.convio.net/site/R?i=5OfGuDnhW2gF7o_pxVbIVw> Visit Us Online

As a child, I fought learning braille and thought my limited vision would be enough to succeed in school. I did well academically, was captain of the track team, and continued my athletic pursuits at Boston College.

In spite of doing well in school, I quickly realized what a mistake I had made in pushing braille away when I tried to pursue a career as an on-air radio personality. Since I couldn’t read ad copy, headlines, and scripts, I relied on memory and struggled with hitting the right tone. Had I been able to read braille, I think I would have successfully pursued a radio career.

I now use braille for daily activities such as identifying groceries and reading menus.  In my professional life, braille has given me the opportunity to run meetings, refer to notes and budgets, and label important documents.

During this holiday season, I would like to thank all those who support NBP’s mission of braille literacy.  I am eager to spread the word about this great organization because the more tools blind children have, the easier their educational and professional pursuits will be.

Please keep braille alive by making a donation today <http://nbp.convio.net/site/R?i=v9KPLhmE6mDLpgKOThy4Lg> , so that blind children won't be limited due to their inability to read.

Joseph Quintanilla, Director of Major Gifts & Planned Giving

P.S. Tell a friend about this campaign <http://nbp.convio.net/site/R?i=r3FfXmTwEzdhB53XUhLPiA>  and double your impact.

 Braille Matters!

Please make your gift today

 <http://nbp.convio.net/site/R?i=XBpwH4kd8yLNja8OL3UHnw> Description: Donate Now

 <http://nbp.convio.net/site/R?i=MxViqzJxMKVl9jbVgRiCcw> Description: FacebookDescription: Powered By Convio  <http://nbp.convio.net/site/R?i=jmdNCZIs5AmWndZGlWmWxA> Description: Twitter  <http://nbp.convio.net/site/CO?i=_9tyQXKPT6SDAXNgOowJ0fKnE0dzljrM&cid=1121> Unsubscribe |  <http://nbp.convio.net/site/R?i=0Q8t5uPIkhaAk7wBo9bTXg> Forward to a Friend |  <http://nbp.convio.net/site/R?i=-swtqHD59MQEOeokQ2QZNQ> Visit our web site

88 St. Stephen Street, Boston, MA 02115 tel: 617.266.6160 | fax: 617.437.0456
National Braille Press © 2011 All rights reserved.