[nfbmi-talk] Fw: [Nfbnet-members-list] Blind Driver Challenge and How You Can Help

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 02:16:26 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Freeh,Jessica (by way of David Andrews <dandrews at visi.com>)
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 7:43 PM
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Blind Driver Challenge and How You Can Help

Dear Fellow Federationists:

This is Chris Danielsen, director of public relations for the National Federation of the Blind.  As many of you know, on Saturday, January 29, many of us will be attending the public debut of a car equipped with a nonvisual interface that will empower a blind person to drive without sighted assistance.  Naturally, the public relations office is working hard to obtain coverage of this historic event in as many media outlets as possible, including local outlets ranging from television stations to community-based newspapers.  I'm writing to ask if you will assist us in this publicity effort by contacting media outlets in your local area and making sure that they know about this historic event.  If you are planning to be in attendance at the Daytona International Speedway, then you may want to let your local media know that you will be a witness to the first public demonstration of driving by nonvisual interface and that you are willing to talk with them about your experience.  You might agree to dial in from the grandstand on your cell phone and talk to your local radio station, or to be interviewed by your local paper about what the NFB Blind Driver ChallengeT means to you.

There are a number of materials available at www.blinddriverchallenge.org that can guide you in talking to local media, including a comprehensive set of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).  You should also take advantage of the press releases available in the Press Center, where you can also subscribe to have the latest press releases sent to you by e-mail.  Feel free to forward any or all of the press releases to members of the media.  Finally, if reporters request information that you cannot provide, don't hesitate to contact me or to have them do so.

Please watch for subsequent e-mails and continue to check the Blind Driver ChallengeT and NFB Web sites to learn more details about the event.

I look forward to seeing many of you in Daytona Beach as we show the world the true capacity of blind people to perform tasks that are thought to be visual, as long as we have the proper information and technology.  The foundation of many misconceptions about blind people will be shaken, and we will continue to make our dream of full independence and equality come true.

Sincerely:

Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND