[nfbmi-talk] closed rehab cases

Lydia Schuck laschuck at juno.com
Sat Jun 25 14:07:29 UTC 2011

Hello listfriends,
When the commission board met on Thursday, we had some wide-ranging
discussion not related to the state plan directly.  Some of that
discussion was about closed cases.  I want to seriously urge anyone who
believes that his or her case was closed prematurely, or in any way that
was unsatisfactory, to contact the rehab counselor and ask to have it
reopened.  Then don't take no for an answer.

As long as they have documents that were signed by a consumer when the
case was closed, there is no argument that the case was closed properly.
I know that discouragement with the process keeps us from continuing to
try to change the system, but we have to keep trying.  Write down every
date and what happened when you talked to a counselor, or when you
called, when they called back, etc.

If they will not open your case, NFB will pursue it with you, I am
certain.  And if the agency opens your case, but does not cooperate, I or
another person in the NFB will go with you to see the counselor, to talk
to the supervisor, to call CAP.  Leamon suggested that people who are not
satisfied should go to him, but that is not the way the agency should
operate.  There is a system in place that should work.

Right now is a good time for you to try to get what you want and need
from the agency, and to turn to your fellow consumers to support you and
help you fight the discouragement that may come when the going gets
rough.  Please email me off of this list if you want to talk more about
this with me.

If you ask for any documents, and I urge you to do that, insist on
getting them in your reading format.
Lydia Schuck, always a friend, and now for a while, a commissioner