[nfbmi-talk] Accessible Cable Menus

Ghkitchen ghkitchen at comcast.net
Thu Nov 10 18:57:47 UTC 2011

Hi Phyllis,

Since I cannot see the TV I am not sure know if I understand what you are
referring to.

I know there is a page that gives all the channels and their names I think.
I just memorize the cable remote and with the tv listings on Newsline go to
the program I want. I don't watch much TV so this is  rare. Radio Shack had
a cable ready 7 inch tv on sale recently. I should have  bought it. Anyone
who is totally blind probably would appreciate this small TV unless they
watch their shows on Iphone,  iPad or their computer.

The  NFB of MI and the NFB as a whole has many issues that are important to
them. However, like most  organizations, we have  limited resources so we
concentrate on working on access issues that help people get jobs, children
and youth to learn the core skills of blindness and  to get a good education
or vocation, seniors we have a  senior division and list. We have info for
seniors, seminars in Baltimore and in different chapters across the country.
We work locally to educate folks including the sighted about blindness. See
our web site for a wide variety of articles including
Courtesesy Rules of Blindness and What is the NFB among others.
We have a senior packet of information and other packets on the web site or
you can order them free. phone
410-659-9314 andlisten to  the prompt for the independence Market.
That is just an example

If you would like to be on the  senior list or others, I can get you on  and
we can discuss other lists that you may  profit from also.

 We live in a sighted world. We go to the center in Kalamazoo to learn how
to do things differently than the sighted. Many times these  are the same
things like reading a book--the sighted use their eyes, blind folks use
braille, technology, large print, talking book.
Best,
Georgia