[nfbmi-talk] Washington Seminar Agenda

Jason Meddaugh jj at bestmidi.com
Fri Jan 25 18:34:58 UTC 2013

WASHINGTON SEMINAR 2013

Holiday Inn Capitol, Washington DC
550 C Street SW

Washington, DC 20024
(202) 479-4000

February 3-7, 2013

AGENDA

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3

1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.       IEP Advocacy for Parents of Blind Children
                                Saturn/Venus

While preregistration is not required for either session, it would be
helpful if you would contact NOPBC president Carlton Walker in advance at
nopbcpres at gmail.com.  Please include your name, state, email address, phone
number, and which session you wish to attend (parent of a blind child or NFB
adult member).

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 4

7:45 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.       National Center Tour

Buses will load at 7:45 a.m. and will depart at 8:00 a.m. sharp.

Tours will begin at 9:30 a.m. and buses will leave the National

Center for the return to the Holiday Inn Capitol-Washington at noon.  A box
lunch will be provided to visitors.

9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.   IEP Advocacy for NFB Advocates
   Saturn/Venus

While preregistration is not required for either session, it would be
helpful if you would contact NOPBC president Carlton Walker in advance at
nopbcpres at gmail.com.  Please include your name, state, email address, phone
number, and which session you wish to attend (parent of a blind child or NFB
adult member).

8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.       National Association of Blind Students

                                Winter Meeting Registration $5

                                Discovery II Foyer

9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.       National Association of Blind Students

                                Winter Meeting

                                Discovery II

Attention students, teachers, and young professionals:  Join NABS for our
annual Winter Meeting to learn about the current work of NABS; benefit from
informative presentations on topics including jobs and internships,
recreational activities, and scholarships; and participate in interactive
discussion sessions on issues ranging from technology to self-advocacy in
the classroom.  If you have any questions or require further information,
please contact

Sean Whalen at (608) 332-4147 or nabs.president at gmail.com.

11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.  National Association of Blind Merchants

Attention blind entrepreneurs, blind vendors, and all Federationists
interested in business opportunities:  The National Association of Blind
Merchants will hold a luncheon meeting to discuss our new initiatives, the
Americans with Disabilities Business Opportunity Act, wholesale buying, and
business teaming.

Cost of lunch is $35.00.

12:30 p.m. -2:30 p.m.      Cash and Caring Committee Program

                                Discovery I

        We would like to have as many states as possible represented.

        This will be a fast-paced exciting program regarding the
integration of fundraising into all affiliate activities.

(The Mercury Room is open 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. and for one hour following
"The Great Gathering-in.")

2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.        Legislative Seminar
                                        Columbia Ballroom

Whether you are a grizzled Washington Seminar veteran or a highly touted
rookie, valuable information will be shared.  The Government Affairs team of
the NFBJI will carefully dissect the fact sheets for this year's issues on
the Hill.  We will also role play, giving participants an opportunity to
present the issues as they would do on the Hill, and we will offer
constructive feedback.  Experienced Washington Seminarians will share their
D.C. dos

and don'ts acquired through their years of practice.

The fact sheets will soon be available to download online at
https://nfb.org/washington-seminar.  We expect you to review them and come
prepared with questions.  If you have questions or difficulty understanding
a concept in the fact sheets, definitely assume you are not the only one.
The goal of this seminar is to get participants comfortable with the issues
and ready to explain them on the Hill.  If your only preparation is this
seminar, it may not be enough.  We cannot urge you strongly enough to review
these fact sheets carefully and develop questions about things you do not
understand or that you think others may not fully grasp.  Please join us for
an entertaining and informative discussion of this year's Washington Seminar
issues.

2:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.       NABS Resource Fair

                                Discovery II

Drop by to talk one-on-one with representatives from a variety of
organizations providing products and services of interest to blind students
and their teachers.  Come to learn about sources of accessible reading
material, find out more about NFB training centers, get the lowdown on
standardized testing and financial aid, and check out the latest and
greatest in access technology.  NABS will have a table, too.  So stop by and
say hello!  For more information, please contact Sean Whalen at (608)
332-4147 or nabs.president at gmail.com.

3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.       State Presidents Meeting

                                Discovery I

        Financial Position of the Federation and Your Role in Making

        It Better.

5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.       "The Great Gathering-in"

                                Columbia Ballroom

8:00 p.m. - Midnight NABS Café

                                Discovery I & II

Come on out to see old friends, and make some new ones, while supporting
your NFB students' division!  Enjoy great live music from some of our most
talented students, and hear some old Federation favorites, while socializing
and bidding on exciting items in our silent and live auctions.  There will
be a cash bar as well as light snacks available throughout the evening.  The
silent auction begins at 8:00 p.m., and items will be auctioned off starting
around 9:30.  Come early to get a good seat and to check out all the awesome
auction items before they go up for bidding.  Tickets are $5 in advance or
$7 at the door.  To pre-order, please see any member of the NABS Board any
time before 7:30 p.m. on

February 4.  Please contact Sean Whalen at (608) 332-4147 or
nabs.president at gmail.com with any questions or for further information.

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 5

(The Mercury Room is open 7:00 a.m. - 5:45 p.m. and for one hour following
the "Reviewing Our Day on the Hill" meeting.)

7:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.       Focus Group

                                Mars

        Thank you to Vanda Pharmaceutical for sponsoring an educational
focus group (by invitation only).

6:00 p.m. Reviewing Our Day on the Hill

                Columbia Ballroom

Meeting with John Paré, Jesse Hartle, Anil Lewis, and Lauren McLarney.

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6

(The Mercury Room is open 7:00 a.m. - 5:45 p.m. and for one hour following
the "Reviewing Our Day on the Hill" meeting.)

6:00 p.m. Reviewing Our Day on the Hill

                Columbia Ballroom

Meeting with John Paré, Jesse Hartle, Anil Lewis, and Lauren McLarney.

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 7

(The Mercury Room is open 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)

Best Regards,
Jason Meddaugh
A T Guys
Your Assistive Technology Experts