[nfbmi-talk] Minutes National Federationofthe Blindof MichiganBoard Meeting March 20, 2014

Terry D. Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 14:15:05 UTC 2014

As Fred pointed out, the existence of a AFFILIATE STANDING COMMITTEE is not
dependent on an appropriation of funds, or any decision by the affiliate or
committee to act in any manner.  The affiliate has had a scholarship
committee as many years as my memory allows, at least as long as Mark has
been alive, when I served on the affiliate Scholarship Committee.  Some
years the affiliate has funds and other years it does not for a certain
cause, and that does not change the philosophy, mission, or make-up of the
organization structure from year-to-year.

I believe this points out the strong need for this organization to
continuously find methods to raise funds to promote and carry-out the
philosophy, mission, and collective dreams of our members--namely, change
what it means to be blind in a world with vision beyond sight.

The upcoming joint chapter affiliate walk-a-thon, is a prime example of
which I write about raising funds for the advancement and fulfillment of the
organization's philosophy, mission, and dreams.  Everyone who believes in
the philosophy, mission, and dreams of the NFB, should be involved in the
walk-a-thon to raise funds to advance the work of our chapter and affiliate
Committees.

Did you know, the National Funeral Directors has reported that the average
person who dies, and that is all of us at some point in time, knows an
average of 300 people we each know by way of relatives, friends, fellow
employees, students, and social and faith-based associates and
acquaintances, and that average number is nearly borne out by the number of
social media contacts many Americans have on there chosen social media page
contacts.

Imagine if each person who believes in the philosophy, mission, and dreams
of the NFB, made a personal commitment to raise just $1 from 300 people,
which translate to $each NFB supporter bringing in $300 for the walk-a-thon,
just imagine the programs, such as chapter and membership building, Braille
training outreach, scholarships to attend state and national conventions,
Washington Seminar, college scholarships, and other  programs and causes, we
the NFB are  engaged and and wish to advance.

Is $300 raised by each NFB supporters readily achievable?  Certainly.  For
those who desire to say that they don't know 300 people, as the national
funeral directors association suggest, just consider how easy it is to
secure $10 from the 30 family members, friend, and acquaintances we may or
might have in our life, past or present.  $300 is easily achievable I
submit.  If each NFB supporter just secured a $10 pledge or donation for the
walk-a-thon, whether you can walk in the event or not, at the rate of one
$10 per day for the 45 days that remain before the walk-a-thon date, that is
45 $10 contributions, or $450 to turn in toward this fund raiser.  So you
can see how easy $300 is  a cinch to raise in 45 days with little effort.

Please do your part if you are reading this, as you must believe in the work
that the NFB is doing to change what it means to be blind in Michigan and
across this great nation.  Please get a pledge form from the nfbmi.org
website, and talk, tweet, or write your way to $300, $450, or more
contributions toward the walk-a-thon in each of the next 45 days.

Finally, can anyone recall the last time you went back to read the minutes
of a NFB board meeting?  Better yet, can anyone recall a case of a blind
person being discriminated against employment, access to public programs and
services, a student not getting the books, supports, or funds to achieve a
quality education, in order to achieve the skills for competitive
employment, or avoid the slave wages of a sweatshop employment opportunity
for life, or a senior citizen that feels that a useful, fulfilling life is
over because of vision loss, and wondering how they shall survive in the
darkness of blindness?  The latter are the cause and work of the NFB to
overcome to change, for positive, what it means to be blind in employment,
education, independence at home and in the community, and much more for a
finer quality and fulfillment of life dreams, collectively and individually.
This is the first of forty-five days for each of us who believe in the NFB,
to take decisive consistent personal daily action to do our easy part to
make the May 17 walk-a-thon fundraiser event a fabulous financial and NFB
outreach success!  Please, let all of us put energy where it can really
matter--in the lives of blind persons present and future.  This challenge is
ours as individual NFB supportwes to embrace and achieve or not--a matter of
priority, dedication, commitment and personal action for the next 45 days.

Note to chapter, division, and interest committee presidents and leaders:
Please widely distribute this fundraising challenge to your members and
supporters immediately.  The clock is ticking toward the May 17 event.