[nfbmi-talk] Fw: FOIA Response to Request for Information on the RSA 15 Report

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Thu Jun 19 15:50:29 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: Haynes, Carla (LARA)
To: joe harcz Comcast
Cc: Rodgers, Edward (LARA) ; Luzenski, Sue (LARA) ; Pemble, Mike (LARA) ; Belknap, Katie (LARA) ; Zanger, Connie (LARA)
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:41 AM
Subject: FOIA Response to Request for Information on the RSA 15 Report

June 19, 2014

Mr. Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

E-mail: joeharcz at comcast.net

1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI 48458

Re:  FOIA Response to Two Requests for Information on RSA 15 Report

Dear Mr. Harcz, Jr.:

This email is in response to your June 9 & 18, 2014, email requests for information, received by this office on June 10 & 19, 2014, respectively.  Please be advised that the Bureau of Services for Blind Persons (BSBP) is processing these requests under the state's Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), MCL 15.231 et seq.

You have requested information as described in your emails (which are also below) as:

"All employees must be documented in the RSA 15. So I'm again requesting those required federal reporting documents and they had better be accurate or then BSBP would be guilty of making false statements and indeed false claimes to an agency of the United States government which does create and fund BSBP to begin with." And "On several occasions I have requested in writing and verbally all RSA 15 reports conducted by BSBP since its creation (October 1, 2012). Several others including operators have requested similar data and required reports."

First, in regards to your statement:  "All employees must be documented in the RSA 15. So I'm again requesting those required federal reporting documents and they had better be accurate or then BSBP would be guilty of making false statements and indeed false claimes to an agency of the

FOIA Response - P.J. Harcz, Jr.

June 19, 2014

Page 2 of 2

United States government which does create and fund BSBP to begin with", your request is denied.  To the best of my knowledge, information or belief, no documentation exists pertinent to your request.  Operators in the Business Enterprise Program (BEP) are not required to provide specific employee information.  The Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) does not require this information.

Second, in regards to your request regarding a copy of the RSA 15 Report, your request is granted as to existing, nonexempt information responsive to your request.  This report is available on-line at https://rsa.ed.gov/view.cfm?rsaform=RSA-15&state=Michigan&grant=RANDS12PMI

Under the provisions of MCL 15.240, Section 10(1) of the state's FOIA, you may (1) submit a written appeal regarding the disclosure denial of any portion of your FOIA request to Steve Arwood, Director, Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Michael Zimmer, Chief Deputy Director, P.O. Box 30004, Lansing, MI 48909. Your appeal must include the word "appeal" and identify the reason(s) for reversal of any disclosure denials; or (2) you may file an action in an appropriate court within 180 days after this notice. If you prevail in court action, the court may award you reasonable attorney fees, costs, and disbursements. If the court finds the Department's actions to be arbitrary and capricious, the court shall award you, in addition to any actual or compensatory damages, punitive damages in the amount of $500.00.

Sincerely,

Carla Miller Haynes, FOIA Coordinator

Bureau of Services for Blind Persons

Attachments - 2:  Email Requests for Information

cc:     Edward F. Rodgers II, Sue Luzenski, Mike Pemble, Katie Belknap

Constance Zanger, James Hull

Belknap, Katie (LARA); Essenberg, Rob (LARA); Zanger, Connie (LARA); Hull,

James (LARA)

Subject:     Re: FOIA Response to Request for Information on Anderson Building - Petrilli

All employees must be documented in the RSA 15. So I'm again requesting those required federal reporting documents and they had better be accurate or then BSBP would be guilty of making false statements and indeed false claimes to an agency of the United States government which does create and fund BSBP to begin with.

Sincerely,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

Essenberg, Rob (LARA) ; Zanger, Connie (LARA) ; Hull, James (LARA)

Sent: Monday, June 09, 2014 5:12 PM

June 9, 2014

Mr. Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

E-mail: joeharcz at comcast.net

1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI 48458

Re:  FOIA Response to Request for Information on Anderson Bldg. -

Petrilli

Dear Mr. Harcz, Jr.:

This email is in response to your May 30, 2014, email request for

information, received by this office on June 2, 2014.  Please be advised

that the Bureau of Services for Blind Persons (BSBP) is processing this

request under the state's Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), MCL 15.231

et seq.

You have requested information as described in your email (which is also

below) as:

"Regardless I am again requesting from you all the temporary operator

agreement for this BEP location with its terms and conditions...Moreover,

I am again requesting the names, salaries and positions of just who in the

heck is working at "Cora's Café". Finally, as Mr. Rodgers himself stated in

a recent press story the he thought, "four of the seven employees were

blind" I wish to have those blind employees identified for the record."

In regards to your request for the temporary operator agreement for Cora's

Café, your request is denied.  To the best of my knowledge, information or

belief, this documentation does not currently exist pertaining to your

request.  When such documentation does exist, we would be able to send

you a copy.

FOIA Response - P.J. Harcz, Jr.

June 6, 2014

Page 2 of 2

In regards to your request for names, salaries and positions of just who is

working at "Cora's Café", Ms. Constance Zanger (in her May 30, 2014,

email to you which is attached) indicated that Mr. Robert Essenberg and

Ms. Amanda Newman are Business Assistance and Development

Program (BADP) employees under BSBP and the only staff persons of

which we would have any information on names, salaries and positions.

In regards to your request to identify those employees who are blind, your

request is denied.  To the best of my knowledge, information or belief, no

such document exists that is pertinent to your request.

Under the provisions of MCL 15.240, Section 10(1) of the state's FOIA,

you may (1) submit a written appeal regarding the disclosure denial of any

portion of your FOIA request to Steve Arwood, Director, Michigan

Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Michael

Zimmer, Chief Deputy Director, P.O. Box 30004, Lansing, MI 48909. Your

appeal must include the word "appeal" and identify the reason(s) for FOIA

reversal of any disclosure denials; or (2) you may file an action in an

appropriate court within 180 days after this notice. If you prevail in court

action, the court may award you reasonable attorney fees, costs, and

disbursements. If the court finds the Department's actions to be arbitrary

and capricious, the court shall award you, in addition to any actual or

compensatory damages, punitive damages in the amount of $500.00.

Sincerely,

Carla Miller Haynes, FOIA Coordinator

Bureau of Services for Blind Persons

cc:     Edward F. Rodgers II, Sue Luzenski

          Mike Pemble, Katie Belknap

     Rob Essenberg. Constance Zanger, James Hull