[nfbmi-talk] Spring Board Meeting Minutesmay2016 spring nfbm board.docx

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Mon May 23 19:12:51 UTC 2016

Hello!

Here are the draft minutes.  They are pasted below and attached for your
convenience.

Warmest Regards,

Fred

secretary report may 5 minutes approved

treasurers report - There was no Treasurer's report

Airport Larry and Fred reported about WCAA meeting.  Initially we thought
there had been a sign change.  Upon leaving, we discovered the offensive
sign is still there causing the stops to be segregated.

Driver payment There was discussion regarding paying drivers for waiting
time.  Discussion  about hourly payments for drivers resulted in a consensus
that decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Next discussion was MAER.  Fred made report.  Members in attendance at NFBM
table were Fred, Carla, Mary and Ozzie.  We sold several mugs and gave out
information about Newsline and youth programs.  We had a very good location
and met lots of folks.

Grant writing  Larry reported that Lydia is doing grant writing.  We have
received 2 grants, so far.  We received a grant to increase Newsline
subscribers in the U.P. and another to pay someone to write 25 more grants.
Larry asked for people to let him or Lydia know of projects we ought to do.
Fred commented that we need to create projects that create jobs for blind
people, preferably our members if possible.

A braille training program similar to Bell was suggested.  A committee was
formed to develop the program.  .  Derek volunteered to be the chair.
Lillian Quigly and Linda Bloodsaw also volunteered.

National Convention July 30 - 6.  Rosen Shingle Creek, Orlando Florida.

Caucus will be announced.  Financial support will be distributed at the
caucus.  We are still looking for someone to manage our Exhibit table.
Those receiving financial support must register for the convention, work at
the exhibit table and go to the banquet.

Kimberly suggested we have bags for mugs and that we have credit card
acceptance.

J.J. said training of workers is most difficult part of credit card
acceptance.

Fred made a motion to send a letter to the Secretary of state to recommend
the E.S.S.  machine.  It is recommended that we send a letter to all
elections officials and write a press release.  Elizabeth commented that we
already have a resolution to do this.

Larry is recommending that we meet with the LARA director about the opening.
Blind people do not have any voice within the administration regarding
rehabilitation.  Response to Ed Rodgers retirement

Martha Moore read the proposed constitution of the Dog Guide Division.

Genesee County reported about activities including iPhone training

Derek Moore reported about Grand Rapids Chapter

John Scott reported about large turnouts for Detroit chapter

Mary Wurtzel reported about Lansing Chapter

J.J. reported about the State Convention arrangements.  Our 2016 state
convention will be November 4, 5 and 6 at the Westin Hotel and convention
Center in Southfield.  Proposed exhibit hall from 1-6 on Friday

Seminar on your rights as a blind person

Detroit Chapter will organize Friday night hospitality

Let J.J. know about division meetings

Student meeting at lunch Saturday

Elizabeth made a motion to send out save the date cards in print and Braille
Martha Moore seconded: Motion carried unanimously.

Banquet will be 30 dollars

Pre-registration will begin August 1 October 15 after 10/15 prices will
increase

We need door prizes and auction items.  Exhibitors, chapters and Divisions
are encouraged to provide at least 1 door prize and/or auction item.

There was discussion of a Motown themed talent show.

Meeting adjourned at approximately 2:45