[nfbmi-talk] Detroit Bus Expansions as Well

J.J. Meddaugh jj at bestmidi.com
Tue Sep 6 04:15:51 UTC 2016

IN case you haven't seen this, lots of expansions in Detroit as well,
which is definitely a welcome change. The return of several more 24-hour
routes and express service on Woodward and Gratiot that runs all day.

Definitely a good week for transit.

More info here.

DETROIT – Over the past two years, Detroit’s Transportation Department
has made significant strides to improve its service and reliability.  It
has put 80 new buses on the road, hired more bus drivers and for the
first time in many years is reliably meeting its posted schedule.
With that foundation now in place, Mayor Mike Duggan said today that
DDOT is now in a position to implement the largest expansion of bus
service in the city at least 20 years. When fully implemented in
January, the service expansion is expected to add approximately 1,500
trip per week for DDOT customers.  This will significantly reduce the
average wait time for customers along several of the city’s major bus
routes.
The first wave of expanded service begins Saturday, Sept. 3rd. That’s
when DDOT will add the first three of six new 24-hour routes, spanning
the city.  Three more will be added in January, for a total of nine
24-hour routes citywide.  Until early this year, when DDOT added
around-the-clock service to Woodward, Gratiot and Grand River, the city
was providing no 24-hour service to its customers.
In addition to the 24-hour service expansion, DDOT will be adding five
new express routes that will help connect Detroiters to the city’s key
job centers.  Passengers who use these routes can expect see their job
commute time cut by up to 30 minutes in each direction:
                 > #95: Northeast (E Outer Dr) to downtown
                 > #96: West (Joy Rd) to downtown
                 > #92: Northwest (Grand River) to downtown
                 > #89: Southwest (Fort, Vernor) to DMC, Wayne State,
Henry Ford Hospital
                 > #80: East (Jefferson, Lafayette) to DMC, Wayne State,
Henry Ford Hospital
“One of the worst things the city ever did cut its bus service because
it cut people off from their ability to get to a job,” Mayor Duggan
said. “By January, we will have nine 24-hour routes and five express
routes that can get our residents to the city’s major job providers.”
In September, DDOT also will begin a new Saturday-only nonstop
round-trip service to Detroit’s Eastern Market from every City Council
District. This new service, called the Fresh Wagon, came as a direct
result of customer feedback during a series of public meetings hosted by
DDOT.   A full schedule of locations and times are available on
the city’s website.
Thanks to DDOT’s new partnership with the Regional Transit Authority
(RTA) and SMART, DDOT will add express service on Woodward from downtown
to Somerset Mall via the new #498 refleX Woodward, and SMART will
provide the same express service via the new #598 refleX Gratiot.  This
express service will not replace DDOT's existing Woodward route.
Phase 2 launches in January
In January 2017, three additional routes will be added to the 24-hour
lineup, tripling the around-the-clock coverage DDOT provides today.
“Having nine key routes running 24 hours, seven days a week will allow
riders to travel both day and night, whenever they need it,” says Dan
Dirks, DDOT Director. “Residents will not have to worry about service
ending at midnight and will be able to use one of these bus lines any
time day or night, whether they’re heading to work, home or the store.”
In addition to the new 24-hour routes, DDOT will introduce more new
direct and express service routes in January that will connect more city
neighborhoods to major transit routes.
More Drivers, More Buses on the way
This service expansion will be supported with the hiring of 80 new bus
drivers – 30 of which start work tomorrow and the expected arrival of 20
new DDOT coaches in spring 2017.   The remaining 50 new bus drivers are
expected to be hired by the time the Phase 2 expansion begins in January
2017.
24-hour routes
Effective Sept. 3:
◾ #14 Crosstown
◾ #16 Dexter
◾ #45 Seven Mile
Effective January 2017:
◾ #25 Jefferson
◾ #37 Michigan
◾ #48 Van Dyke-Lafayette
Express/Direct bus service
Effective Sept. 3:
◾ #95 Ryan Express
◾ Connects to Downtown via East Outer Drive, Ryan, Nevada, Conant,
Caniff, Lumpkin, Holbrook and I-75.
◾ #96 Joy Express
◾ Connects to Downtown via Evergreen, Joy and I-96.
Effective January 2017:
◾ #80 Villages Direct
◾ Connects to Midtown via Jefferson, Lafayette, Rivard, Russell,
Wilkins, Brush, Canfield and Cass.
◾ #89 Southwest Direct
◾ Connects to Midtown via Bassett, Schaefer, Fort, I-75, Springwells,
Vernor, Michigan, Trumbull, Warren and Cass.
◾ #92 Rosedale Express
◾  Connects to Downtown via Pembroke, Evergreen, Grand River and I-96
Other Service Improvements
Effective Sept. 3:
◾ #14 Crosstown
◾ Extended to Warren & Telegraph
◾ #17 Eight Mile
◾ Expanded Morning and late night service 7 days a week
Effective January 2017:
◾ #22 Greenfield
◾ Expanded Morning and late night service 7 days a week
◾ #25 Jefferson
◾ More Frequent Service 7 days a week
◾ #37 Michigan
◾ More Frequent Service 7 days a week
◾ #42 Mid-City Loop
◾  New route connecting residents to commercial corridors and major
tran­sit routes via Manchester, Oakland, Beaubien, St. Antoine,
Canfield, Second, Grand Boulevard, Rosa Parks, Webb and Hamilton.
◾ #49 Vernor
◾ Extended to Michigan and Schaefer,
◾ More Frequent Service 7 days a week

Source: