[nFBMI-Talk] Clarification Regarding Student Elections at State Convention

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 7 17:54:07 UTC 2018

Hello All,

There seems to be some confusion regarding the elections for the Michigan Association of Blind Students at the upcoming state convention. Therefore, I thought I would provide some clarification in regards to these elections.

There are some people who have indicated an interest in running for a position on the board who may not able to attend state convention for a legitimate reason. According to our constitution, there is nothing indicating that a person needs to be present at the state convention to seek a position on the board. Additionally, I have seen someone be elected to the national student board who was not able to attend national convention due to a legitimate reason. Therefore, if a person cannot attend state convention for a legitimate reason, they can still seek a position on the board as long as they have the ability to carry out the responsibilities of the board position for the remainder of the term.

However, there are also some people who have indicated an interest in serving as the President and the Vice-President who are not currently students. According to our constitution, a person needs to be a current blind student in order to serve as the President and Vice-President. Therefore, anyone who is not a current student when elections take place at state convention are not eligible to run for these board positions. Being enrolled for classes starting next semester does not make someone a current student, and these people are not eligible to run for the positions of President and Vice-President.

I understand some people may not like what the constitution says about the positions of President and Vice-President being held by a current blind student, but  this is what the constitution says about these positions. There are procedures set in place to change the constitution. However, any  changes made to the constitution would not take effect until after the close of the business meeting at state convention.

Hopefully this helps provide clarification regarding elections for the Michigan Association of Blind Students at state convention. Please feel free to ask further questions if more clarification is needed in regards to this matter.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth Mohnke
Board Member,
Michigan Association of Blind Students