[NFBMI-Talk] Accommodations for Jury Duty

terrydeagle at yahoo.com terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 03:19:40 UTC 2020

Sorry to say this, however Fred was mostly correct.  To ignore a jury duty summons could land one in jail or fined.  The jury system does not know about a person's disability, and to ignore a summons could have you appearing in court to explain why you ignored the summons.  Mark had some excellent advice to follow to achieve your obligation.

While blind persons don't generally have a good track experience record of serving on juries because of prejudice and bias ignorance of jury administrators, attorneys, and even judges, as part of fighting to change what it means
To be blind, every attempt should be made to fulfill our civic duty, as did Mark, and as part of the flawed process, a blind person can further use the opportunity to raise accessibility matters, and hopefully bring about changes and compliance within the jury notification, selection, and jury service process.  This approach as described by Mark is the only way to bring about change.

Best wishes on your jury duty journey!