[NFBMI-Talk] sad news

mpowell7583 at yahoo.com mpowell7583 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 01:12:42 UTC 2022

Greetings federation family.

Below is a message that was posted on the mailing list for state presidents
and leaders of the NFB.  The message came yesterday from the president of
the NFB of Alabama.  As president of our Michigan affiliate I gave a
response as many of our leaders did to show our support during this
difficult time.

Another Family Member Departs

It is with a heavy heart that we must share with you the very sad news of
the passing of our former affiliate president, dear friend, and wonderful
mentor  Joy Harris. Her husband Allen reports that Joy passed away last
evening. Everyone here in Alabama and across the federation will miss Joy
for all of her many contributions and will be forever grateful for her
steadiness in the federation philosophy and spirit. We will share any
updates as received.  Let's all keep the Harris family and her extended
federation family in our thoughts and prayers as we bereave together.

With sympathy,

NFB of Alabama

Barbara Manuel, President

The NFB of Michigan sends its condolences and prayers to the Alabama
affiliate, Joy's family, and Al Harris, our past state president.  Joy and
Al did much in building the Michigan affiliate and they worked with me when
I began to assume responsibilities in our Saturday school program, and when
I became state secretary.  I first met Joy in junior high school as I was
just coming in about the time she was moving on.  Many of us first got to
know Al when he was a counselor at the summer college prep program in
the1970's.

Both of them are good examples of great leaders and special friends.  Rest
in peace, Joy.  You and yours, Al,  will continue to be in our hearts,
thoughts and prayers.

Michael Powell

President

NFB of Michigan