[Nfbmo] FW: DOJ Renews its Call for All Qualified Job Candidates with Disabilities to Apply - Detailed Info Packet (Updated)

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 22 00:55:23 UTC 2010

  _____

From: Cantos, Ollie (CRT) [mailto:Ollie.Cantos at usdoj.gov]
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 3:53 PM
Subject: DOJ Renews its Call for All Qualified Job Candidates with
Disabilities to Apply - Detailed Info Packet (Updated)

INTRODUCTION

This is Ollie Cantos, Member of the Attorney General’s Committee on the
Employment of Persons with Disabilities, sending this email under the
authorization of Chairman Fred Parmenter.

On July 20, 2009, we issued a comprehensive email, containing numerous
resources to help arm students and job-seekers with disabilities as they
endeavor to work here at the U.S. Department of Justice either as employees
or interns.  It was in response to the memorandum issued by Attorney General
Eric Holder on May 27, 2009, calling for increased hiring of persons with
disabilities throughout the Department.  Since that time, numerous people
have contacted the Committee; and, we continue to work with each of them to
secure opportunities to join in our Department’s noteworthy work.

Concurrent with all of this, Attorney General Holder has created a Diversity
Council, composed of component principals and specifically charged with the
task of increasing the richness of talent and ability of qualified men and
women from diverse backgrounds within the Department’s career civil service
personnel.  Of significance here, this specifically included persons with
disabilities.  This Council, which reports directly to Attorney General
Holder, is headed by the Associate Attorney General, and the Council’s
Executive Director is Channing Phillips, Deputy Associate Attorney General,
a new and permanent position created by the Attorney General to work on a
continual basis to advance diversity and full inclusion throughout every
Department component.  Further, the Attorney General felt that employment of
additional qualified persons with disabilities throughout the Department was
so important that, on July 21, 2010, at the event aptly named Justice For
All, held on Capitol Hill and hosted by the American Association of People
with Disabilities, he announced the creation of the post of Special
Assistant for Disability Resources, who is to work on a full-time basis to
advance the disability-related goals of the Diversity Council and who
reports directly to Deputy Associate Attorney General Phillips (see
http://www.justice.gov/ag/speeches/2010/ag-speech-100721.html).

On July 26, 2010, at a White House event that celebrated the 20th
anniversary of the signing of the landmark Americans with Disabilities Act
into law, President Barack Obama issued an Executive Order, renewing the
commitment originally made by President Bill Clinton to hire an additional
100,000 persons with disabilities into Federal Government ranks (see
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/executive-order-increasing-federa
l-employment-individuals-with-disabilities).  This serves to bolster the
work of the Department even further, building upon our being the first
Cabinet-level agency in this Administration to call for increased hiring of
qualified persons with disabilities.

Today, we renew the call for all students and job-seekers with disabilities
to consider our Department as their preferred place of work.  We need
attorneys and non-attorneys to apply for positions for which they are
qualified and in which they are interested.  We also ask that such
individuals who choose to self-identify disability on a voluntary basis
contact the Attorney General’s Committee by calling (202) 616-3030
[voice/relay/VRS] in order to receive supplementary instructions on how to
ensure that their applications be given additional consideration.  The
Committee will work individually with applicants with self-identified
disabilities.  Those wishing to reach the Committee by email should send
inquiries to me at Ollie.Cantos at usdoj.gov with the subject line “Interest in
Working at DOJ.”

On another front, the Committee is actively continuing to build a resume
bank to which disability program managers and hiring managers may refer when
proactively seeking candidates with disabilities to fill existing and
pending vacancies.  The Committee is also actively lending support to fellow
federal agencies by sharing information, processes, and work product as a
way to promote enhanced government-wide effectiveness as we all come
together effectively to carry out the President’s Executive Order.

We want you to be among our latest success stories, so please do not delay
in getting in touch with us.  We are eager to be of support.  In order to
provide the kind of substantive materials that will meaningfully assist you
as you move forward, we are including four attachments.  The first is an
accessible PDF version of the Attorney General’s memorandum dated May 27,
2009, which was described above.  The second is a comprehensive article that
provides dozens of employment-related resources that may assist students and
job-seekers with disabilities and their advocates in learning about
opportunities for refining their focus with career goals, finding and
securing internships in all sectors, and going to or returning to work in
the non-profit, for-profit, and governmental sectors.  Third, you will find
general information about the process for becoming a federal employee as put
together by the Partnership for Public Service (also see
http://www.brockport.edu/career/temp/fedgovstudentpacket.
<http://www.brockport.edu/career/temp/fedgovstudentpacket.pdf> pdf).  Here,
you will learn key information, including what to expect at every stage of
the selection process and what should be included in a “federal resume”
which is, by nature, different from what is typically submitted when seeking
employment in the private sector.  Though this publication is geared toward
students, the information would also be of interest to others as well.
Finally, for those interested in serving as part of the Department’s Bureau
of Prisons (BOP), we are including important reference information.

Supplementing all of this, below, you will find details about attorney and
non-attorney job vacancies within the Justice Department.  Since these
webpages are updated regularly, it is strongly advisable to bookmark these
for future and ongoing reference.  To learn about the areas of law practiced
by each Department component, visit:

            http://www.justice.gov/oarm/images/practice.pdf

Whether you are a person with a disability or are networked with such
individuals, please forward this email far and wide in order to maximize
opportunities for people with disabilities to become an integral part of our
Justice Department team by filling jobs for which they are individually
qualified.  Please spread this information to your email network; post it on
websites; include this in organizational publications; share these resources
via Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter; and otherwise do all that you can to
help us infuse this Department with more people with disabilities than have
ever worked here before!

As I have spoken with members of the disability constituency who have come
to us with the desire of joining our Justice Department family, some have
felt a level of despair have said that they are on the verge of giving up
entirely.  They essentially have felt like saying, “Why bother?  It’s no
use.”  To such individuals, we ask them not to give up hope.  Our Department
is actively seeking talent from a wide variety of sources, including from
among the disability community.  Now, more than ever, is the time to buckle
down, to put your best forward, and to move ahead with an eager anticipation
for what the future holds.  One person even recently said to me, “Ollie,
it’s tough in this economy to find a job even generally, much less if you
have a disability.”  My answer, “In THIS economy, especially in light of how
we are looking for great talent and as the affirmative employment of people
with disabilities is supported at the very highest levels, now is PRECISELY
the time to shine.  The tough economic climate demands the kind of talents
and abilities that are an integral part of who you are, therefore placing
you in a rather unique position to pitch what you have to offer in adding
value to our work.”  Read what we are about at http://www.Justice.gov and,
as you find vacancies that match what you may contribute, give us a call.

Thank you for all your help in getting the word out.  Your efforts will most
definitely make a real difference in people's lives.

This email contains the following items:

1.    How to Identify and Apply for Job Vacancies within the U.S. Department
of Justice

2.    Memorandum from Attorney General Eric Holder to All Department
Components, dated May 27, 2009 (PDF also attached)

3.    “A Systematic Approach to Arming Students and Job Seekers with
Disabilities and their Advocates in Securing Meaningful Employment” (see
attached file in MS Word format)

4.    Letter from now-former National Council on Disability Chairperson John
R. Vaughn to Attorney General Eric Holder, Dated June 23, 2009

5.    Publication explaining the hiring process within the Federal Bureau of
Prisons

Supplementing these items, for information about “Schedule A” Hiring
Authority, found at 5 C.F.R. §213.310(u), which proactively facilitates
expeditious hiring of individuals with disabilities into the Federal
Government at all levels, it is important to download, read, and distribute
important publications that have been put together by the Leading in the
Employment of Americans with Disabilities (LEAD) Initiative of the U.S.
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.  These brief but powerful
educational materials are individually geared toward Federal Government
hiring managers, human resources professionals, and disability program
managers as well as service providers and job applicants with disabilities
themselves.  These are found on a page of the Job Accommodation Network at:

            http://www.AskJan.org/lead/index.htm

In addition, the Federal Disability Workforce Consortium, a dedicated cadre
of agency representatives from throughout the Federal Government, stands
ready to be of assistance as well.  For further information and details,
Visit:

            http://www.fdwc.info

Best of luck to all those who are endeavoring to secure opportunities for
gainful employment!

ITEM 1

HOW TO IDENTIFY AND APPLY FOR JOB VACANCIES WITHIN THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF
JUSTICE

Department of Justice agencies post vacancy announcements directly on the
U.S. Office of Personnel Management's USAJobs Web site where you can search
by location, job series, or DOJ agency. This link goes to current Department
of Justice vacancies:

http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/a9dj.asp

Here are some additional important links:

                Opportunities for Law Students

                http://www.usdoj.gov/oarm/oppls.htm

                Attorney Vacancies

                http://www.usdoj.gov/oarm/attvacancies.html

                Apply for a Job at the FBI

                http://www.fbijobs.gov/03.asp

                Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
–Vacancy Announcements

                http://www.atf.gov/careers/index.htm

                Civil Division

                http://www.usdoj.gov/civil/Employment.htm

                Civil Rights Division

                http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/recruit.php

                Criminal Division

                http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/employment/vacancies.html

                Environmental and Natural Resources Division

                http://www.usdoj.gov/enrd/ENRD_Employment.html

                Executive Office for United States Attorneys

                http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/employment/index.html

                National Security Division

                http://www.usdoj.gov/nsd/employment.htm

                Office of the Inspector General

                http://www.usdoj.gov/oig/jobs.htm

                Office of Justice Programs

                http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/about/jobs.htm

                Tax Division

                http://www.usdoj.gov/tax/vacancies.htm

                U.S. Trustees

                http://www.usdoj.gov/ust/eo/private_trustee/vacancies/

Job-seekers may Become a My USAJobs Member to post and create a resume,
apply to Federal Government jobs, and receive automated job alerts via the
Office of Personnel Management's USAJobs site.  See:

https://my.usajobs.gov/login.aspx?redirect=https%3a%2f%2fmy.usajobs.gov%2fho
me.aspx

Note:  Where agencies offer electronic submission of job applications,
job-seekers may submit their resume electronically. Where electronic
submission is not offered, they may use this site to create a resume, and
mail it to the address listed in the vacancy announcement.

ITEM 2

MEMORANDUM FROM ATTORNEY GENERAL ERIC HOLDER TO ALL DEPARTMENT COMPONENTS,

DATED MAY 27, 2009 (PDF also attached)

OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL

Washington, DC   20530

May 27, 2009

MEMORANDUM FOR HEADS OF DEPARTMENT COMPONENTS

FROM:  THE ATTORNEY GENERAL <Initialed>

SUBJECT: Hiring Goals for Persons with Targeted Disabilities

President Barack Obama has a comprehensive agenda to empower individuals
with

disabilities and enhance access to employment for all Americans. As Attorney
General, I am

committed to making the Department of Justice (DOJ) a model employer with a
diverse

workforce that includes people with disabilities.

The Department, like other Federal agencies, must comply with the Equal
Employment

Opportunity Commission's Management Directive 715, which requires hiring
goals to increase

employment and advancement of people with disabilities. While I recognize
that DOJ’s workforce is

comprised of many law enforcement positions that have physical requirements,
I ask that managers,

supervisors, and hiring officials assist me in working toward a
Department-wide two-percent hiring

goal of people with disabilities. If achieved, this goal will align DOJ with
the most successful

agencies in employing individuals with severe disabilities.

The Justice Management Division's (JMD) Human Resources and Equal Employment

Opportunity Staffs are available to assist you and to provide information on
special hiring

authorities and accommodations for people with disabilities. These offices
also will report

quarterly to me on the Department's progress. If you have any questions you
may contact

Rod Markham, Director, Human Resources Staff, JMD or Vontell D.
Frost-Tucker, Director,

Equal Employment Opportunity Staff, JMD.

President Obama has said, "We must build a world free of unnecessary
barriers,

stereotypes, and discrimination. Policies must be developed, attitudes must
be shaped, and

buildings and organizations must be designed to ensure that everyone has a
chance to get the

education they need and live independently as full citizens in their
communities." I am asking the

DOJ leadership for its pledge to incorporate talented persons with
disabilities into the workplace.

 ITEM 3

A SYSTEMATIC APPROACH TO ARMING

STUDENTS AND JOB SEEKERS WITH DISABILITIES AND

THEIR ADVOCATES IN SECURING

MEANINGFUL EMPLOYMENT

Introduction

Disability will touch the lives of most Americans at some point during their
lives either through firsthand experience or acquaintance with someone who
has a disability.  Census figures indicate that, in 2002, more than one in
six Americans had a disability involving limitations in seeing, hearing,
speaking, walking, learning, or undertaking other major functions central to
daily life.

As career and guidance counselors, vocational rehabilitation professionals,
social service providers, for-profit headhunting firms and career placement
organizations, federal government officials, governors’ committees on people
with disabilities, disability rights advocates, and others seek to empower
students and job seekers with disabilities to maximize employment
opportunities available to them and as people with disabilities themselves
are armed with the tools they need to succeed in the workplace, of utmost
importance is the need effectively to understand both the social context
within which members of the disability community must be viewed and the
various support network elements that have been put into place to enable
them to reach their full economic potential.  A working comprehension of
these concepts[1] will allow stakeholders to know how to utilize a myriad of
approaches which, when examined either alone or in their aggregate, will
lead to actual employment outcomes for people with disabilities.

[For full article, which includes 80 direct resources and, by extension,
hundreds of links to national resources, see attached.]

ITEM 4

LETTER FROM NATIONAL COUNCIL ON DISABILITY CHAIRPERSON JOHN R. VAUGHN TO

ATTORNEY GENERAL ERIC HOLDER

June 23, 2009

Honorable Eric Holder

Attorney General

Department of Justice

Washington, DC

Dear Mr. Holder:

The National Council on Disability (NCD) was recently advised of your
department-wide memorandum concerning efforts to increase the employment of
people with disabilities within the federal government, and the members have
asked me to extend our thanks for your support of this effort.  We hope that
you will be able to reach the goal of making the Department of Justice (DOJ)
an ideal model for other agencies to follow.

The Department, like other Federal agencies, must comply with the Equal
Employment Opportunity Commission's Management Directive 715, which requires
the establishment of hiring goals to increase employment and advancement of
people with disabilities.  We have learned over time that an endorsement at
the top level of management will make that more likely to occur.

As you know, the National Council on Disability is a small independent
agency composed of 15 members appointed by the President, by and with the
consent of the U.S. Senate. NCD’s purpose is to promote policies, programs,
practices, and procedures that guarantee equal opportunity for all
individuals with disabilities, and that empower individuals with
disabilities to achieve economic self-sufficiency, independent living, and
inclusion and integration into all aspects of society. To carry out this
mandate we gather public and stakeholder input, including that received at
our public meetings held around the country; review and evaluate federal
programs and legislation; and provide the President, Congress, and federal
agencies with advice and recommendations.

On March 31, 2009, NCD issued a report on federal employment of people with
disabilities
(http://www.ncd.gov/newsroom/publications/2009/Federal_Employment_of_People_
with_Disabilities.doc), which pointed out that the current level of such
employment is unsatisfactory and has prevented many highly qualified
individuals from contributing to our economy and gaining the independence
they need and deserve. DOJ and NCD both employ many people with
disabilities, but thousands more will be needed in departments and agencies
throughout government to reach the 2% employment goals currently established
by President Obama. We encourage DOJ to go beyond those goals by employing
or appointing people with disabilities to positions of great responsibility
within your executive management structure.  We can tell you from past
experience that such an investment will pay off many times over.

On behalf of the Council, thank you again for taking a position of
leadership on this matter and please advise if we can assist in any way.
NCD staff have worked closely with the DOJ Civil Rights Division on several
matters of common interest, and look forward to joint opportunities to
continue protecting the rights of people with disabilities in the future.

We also hope that DOJ will consider joining us and co-hosting the National
Summit on Disability Policy that will take place in Washington on the 20th
anniversary of the signing of the Americans with Disabilities Act on July 26
and 27, 2010.  If you would like to learn more about that opportunity, or
discuss any of the above, please contact NCD Executive Director Michael
Collins at 202-272-2004 or via e-mail at mcollins at ncd.gov.

I look forward to an opportunity to meet you during one of my future visits
to Washington, and thanks again.

Sincerely,

ncd89a_VaughanSig

John R. Vaughn

Chairperson

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

  _____

[1] The U.S. Department of Justice does not necessarily endorse the views
expressed or the facts presented on any website or other resource mentioned
in this article that fall outside the federal government.  Further, the
Department does not endorse any commercial products that may be advertised
or otherwise available on such sites or through such cited resources.