[Nfbmo] Changes to the Missouri Human Rights Act

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 23 19:35:27 UTC 2012

Many of you will remember that last year we attended a session with Gov.
Nixon to commemorate his veto of a bill that passed the Missouri
legislature.  The bill that passed would have removed a number of
protections that exist in Missouri law by limiting damages one could recover
if victorious in a complaint and by requiring that any finding of
discrimination by a covered class could not involve any other factors.  A
Senate and House version of these bills is back again and I am sending along
information from the trial lawyers who believe we should be concerned about
this.  After receiving their first request for us to distribute information,
I complained that it had too many technical terms that required an extensive
knowledge of the law.  Hopefully this will be more consistent with our level
of knowledge and will help you determine whether or not you wish to support
or oppose the legislation.  My own inclination is that we should oppose it
for the same reasons we did last year.

Gary

  _____