[Nfbmo] Deadline for Rittges State Conovention award midnight tonight!

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Tue Mar 12 06:09:01 UTC 2013

Hello all,

The deadline for the Rittger's
Award to attend the 2013 NFBMO state  convention is midnight tonight,
Tuesday, 03/13/13.

Please send applications via email to myself, Dan Flasar,
_danflasar at aol.com_ (mailto:danflasar at aol.com) .

You can also call me at (314)646-7128 for me to  take a phone application.
Please do not call me if you have already  submitted an application either
by phone or by email.

    No applications will be considered after midnight,  Tuesday 03/13/13..
 All applications received by that time will be  sent on to the Rittgers
Committee for consideration.  Once we have convened  by conference call, we
will contact all applicants to anounce the results  of their application.

Sincerely,
Dan Flasar
_danflasar at aol.com_ (mailto:danflasar at aol.com)
(314)646-7128
Chair 2013 Rittgers Committee
Committee Members:
Jeremiah Wells    Kansas City
Laura Rios            Springfield
Penny Perr           St.  Louis
Rita  Lynch             Jefferson City
Dan  Flasar            Lewis  & Clark

Following is a posting of a resolution passed at the last state
convention concerning the intent and eligibility criteria of the
Rittgers Award.

WHEREAS, under their leadership this affiliate  flourished and grew
throughout the state, becoming a vital voice for blind  persons in
Missouri; and

WHEREAS, before her death, Gwen contributed  the seed money
for a convention fund to help first timers get to the  convention, as
well as helping those who needed assistance if sufficient  funds were
available, after priority was given to first timers;  and

WHEREAS, it was anticipated that local chapters would
contribute  to the fund to make it self-perpetuating so that maximum
participation at  our conventions would be realized: Now, therefore,

BE IT RESOLVED by the  National Federation of the Blind of Missouri in
Convention assembled this  31st day of March, 2012, in the city of
Kansas City, Missouri, that each  chapter be encouraged to donate at
least $50.00 per year to the George and  Gwen Rittgers Convention Fund;
and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the  following standards be
adopted to replace the standards adopted in 1989 for  allocating funds
from the fund:

1. The state board will allocate the  maximum amount to be
used from the fund by January 31 of each  year.

2. An individual application must be made 30 days before the
beginning of convention by the person requesting the funds, or by their
chapter president, which explains the reason for the request.

3. It  is not intended that these funds pay the entire cost of
convention  attendance and the committee is only to allocate funds based
on need and  will not use the entire allocated amount unless recipients
needs justify  it.

4. The State President may authorize funding after the
deadline  in extraordinary circumstances if funds remain in the
allocation.

5.  Whenever practical, funds will be directly paid either to
cover hotel costs  or convention registration and meals.

6. New or perspective members will  be given highest priority
in their request.

7. Persons who have  previously attended a Missouri convention
will then be given  consideration.

8. No person shall receive funds a second or subsequent  time
unless they experience an unexpected financial crisis that would
otherwise prevent their attendance.