[Nfbmo] the lighthouse situation

robynwallen at juno.com robynwallen at juno.com
Thu May 23 20:29:18 UTC 2013

they are saying the sequestor is the reason.  They laid off mainly blind workers.  I only know of one sighted employee who was let go.  There was no warning to these people.  Some had over 23 years of service.  Mark was one of them that was laid off.  Well first they told him laid off but then said it was a legal termination.   They have been very slow lately but I am wondering where those commercial contracts they were trying to get have gone.  They stated working on those 19 years ago when I left there.  The Lightouse does not pay state unemployment for their blind workers so they will get 2/3 of their salary for 20 weeks.  Benefits will end in 11 days.  They have the option of cobra but for any of us who have ever used cobra we know that would pretty much wipe out those checks. Robyn

Never underestimate yourself.  You are a special person and there is no one quite like you.