[Nfbmo] FW: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] NFB President’s Notebook - week of 06/20/2016

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 20 22:26:15 UTC 2016

Note the emphasis on reaching out to President Riccobono in this note.

Warmly,

Gary

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org

(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

We are in the final week leading up to our national convention in Orlando. I am busy finishing final details for my participation in the convention, and the staff is busy preparing materials for the truck loading later this week. I look forward to being with everyone in Orlando and to what we will build for the future. Please be sure to stop by and chat with me, and please encourage others to do the same. If you come across information that I should have in the course of the convention, please be sure to pass it along. Unless something unusual happens, I do not expect to put out a notebook next Monday. I will be traveling to Orlando on Tuesday in case you have any urgent matters for me in advance of the convention.

I hope everyone had a great Father’s Day. I appreciated the well wishes from many of you and hope that each of you had a great day.

Critical Actions This Week:

Comments Needed on Web Access:
As you know, the Department of Justice (DOJ) has issued a Supplemental Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (SANPRM) on the question of whether technical standards for web accessibility under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) are needed to enable people with disabilities to access the services, programs, and activities offered on state and local government websites.

The answer, of course, is yes; we need technical standards, and we need your help to make it happen. Please use the webform, https://nfb.org/titleiisanprm/comments, to submit your comments to DOJ. For technical assistance, please contact Kyle Walls at kwalls at nfb.org.

News:

Meeting to Discuss LGBT Concerns:
I have made plans to meet with members of the National Federation of the Blind interested in discussing the work of the Federation as it relates to blind people who also identify as members of the LGBT community. The meeting is scheduled for July 2 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. in Panzacola F-1. Please encourage members interested in engaging directly with the President of the Federation on this issue to attend this meeting. Please remind all members of the Federation that even outside of this specific meeting, I am available to discuss concerns with members of the organization—I note that sometimes members are discouraged from bringing their concerns to me by other members of the Federation. I look forward to continuing to strengthen the diversity of our movement in all areas. If you have any questions about this meeting, please reach out to me at officeofthepresident at nfb.org.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

·         May 23-August 26, 2016: NFB BELL Academy held at forty-six sites throughout the nation. More information at https://nfb.org/bell-academy.

·         June 19-25: NFB EQ (first iteration)

·         June 30-July 5: National Federation of the Blind Convention, Rosen Shingle Creek, Orlando, Florida

·         July 31-August 6: NFB EQ (second iteration)

·         August 2-6: NFB EQ teacher cohort

·         August 18-25: WBU and ICEVI General Assembly, Rosen Centre, Orlando, Florida, www.wbu-icevi2016.org

Mark A. Riccobono, President

National Federation of the Blind

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place