[Nfbmo] {Spam?} Re: 8 helpful things THAT DON'T REALLY HELP PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Tue Jun 21 02:13:05 UTC 2016

Our words and idioms evolved over a  long, long time - and in many cases,
have long since lost any literal  meaning.  For example, we still persist in
referring to sunrise and sunset,  even though we've known for over 500 years
that the sun doesn't move, the earth  does - but the idiom remains.
Likewise, when we're talking to someone on  the phone and make a time to call
again, we are likely to end the conversation  with "See you then", even though
we're not seeing them now and won't be seeing  them then.

       I was in aplay once with someone who  was confined to a wheelchair.
On opening night, It's traditional to tell  your fellow cast members to
"break a leg".   It would have been a  huge gaffe to exclude him from this
time-honored wish, not to mention the  chance for him to come back with the
one-liners he was known for, such as "You  too, but get  your own wheelchair".

  Dan

  To exclude him from this tradition would have been a bigger social  gaffe
than

In a message dated 6/20/2016 8:32:04 P.M. Central Daylight Time,