[NFBMO] SSI vs Blind Pension

GeneCoulter at Charter.net GeneCoulter at Charter.net
Tue Oct 29 22:03:01 UTC 2019

This can get complicated but the first thing to know that to get any benefits you basically need to apply for SSI through the Social Security Administration. State law provides to get benefits under Blind Pension(BP) or Supplemental Aid to the Blind (SAB) you must apply for SSI.
If you were to receive the full amount of SSI you cannot receive BP or SAB but would be eligible for Medicaid under MO Healthnet.
YouYou notice that I mention SAB which you did not specify in your message. SAB and BP are sister programs. When you apply for one you actually apply for both and can only be approved for one of them. The biggest difference is the funding source as SAB receives federal funding. Both have a Medicaid component called Blind Health Care.
Most people are approved for SAB and depending on other income sources youcan sometimes only be eligible for partial SAB.If you get Social Security Disabilty in excess of $785 you you would not be eligible for SSI. There are many more considerations so feel free to Email me off list and share a bit more information and I may be able to give further guidance.
My Email is GeneCoulter at Charter.net
Hope we can help with your query.
Eugene Coulter, Social Services Liaison
NFB of MO
-----Original Message-----
From: NFBMO <nfbmo-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Seyoon Choi via NFBMO
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 4:38 PM
To: NFB of Missouri Mailing List <NFBMO at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Seyoon Choi <blindinsider1 at gmail.com>
Subject: [NFBMO] SSI vs Blind Pension

Hey fellow Missourians,

I have just recently opened my RSB and was wondering what the clear difference is between applying for SSI vs our state’s own blind pension program? My counselor just sent an email with blind pension application but I’m also aware that those that are not qualified for SSI could apply for pension. I’m super new to this whole thing so any advice is appreciated. What are the benefits of applying for pension vs SSI? What are the difference in application process and which benefit are you currently receiving?

Thanks
Seyoon

Seyoon Choi
Undergraduate Researcher - Parks College of Aviation, Engineering, and Technology Secretary - National Association of Blind Students Communications Committee
(314) 650-8306