[Nfbmt] A ridiculous Question

Bruce&Joy Breslauer bjb5757 at bresnan.net
Mon Jan 6 05:44:39 UTC 2014

Being blind or disabled does not necessarily mean you are automatically paid
subminimum wages.  That depends on whom you work for, whether the employment
is supported employment or not, whether the company gets a "tax break" for
hiring you, whether your wages are supplemented, there are a bunch of other
criteria that may come into play.  Does the NFB have any figures -- not
guestimates -- of how many blind or disabled people are employed,
underemployed, or unemployed?  I know the unemployment rate for the blind
has been stated to be somewhere between 70 and 80 percent for as long as I
can remember.  If that were the unemployment rate for any part of the U.S.
there would be a big stink raised, I can guarantee you that.  By the way, in
case someone doesn't know, the unemployment figures you hear on the news
never take into account the disabled or blind or the chronically unemployed.