[NFBNJ] {Spam?} NFBNJ; Fw: August 2016 Commission Edition

nfbnj.secretary at aol.com nfbnj.secretary at aol.com
Tue Sep 13 03:07:43 UTC 2016

>From the desk of NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo Received from Pamela Gaston, Executive Assistant 3, Editor, CBVI
Communication is the key to understanding!
Below is the Commission Edition For August 2016.
Please read and review the progress that continues at our state agency to raise expectations to live the life you want!
Working together makes a difference!

Joe Ruffalo, President
NFBNJ
973 743 0075
nfbnj1 at verizon.net
www.nfbnj.org

****

August 2016 Commission Edition

Commission Edition
The Monthly Newsletter of the NJ Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired

August 2016 – Volume 4, No. 8

Daniel B. Frye, J.D.                                                                  Pamela Gaston
Executive Director                                                  Editor
>From the Director’s Desk

August, a month traditionally known for lazy days by a pool, has been anything but slow at the Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CBVI or Commission).

Instead, CBVI has continued its momentum in a variety of areas, all calculated to promoting continuous improvement of services to consumers. I hope a brief report on my activities during this summer will reflect some of the ongoing vibrancy at the Commission.

On Friday, July 22, 2016, The College of New Jersey, hosted the Pre-College Bonner Scholars program, graduating nine of our brightest post-secondary participants.  They received recognition with the other approximately 30 sighted students for completing an intensive two-week program of academic study. Each student earned four college credits and was exposed to Civic Engaged Learning, where they performed valuable voluntary community service in Trenton-area schools and neighborhoods. DHS Acting Commissioner, Elizabeth Connolly, joined me and other CBVI leaders to celebrate this second summer of our college preparation initiative. Later that day, I joined John Walsh, CBVI Chief of Program Administration, and other Commission staff and TCNJ partners to see the summer’s second cohort of the Work Skills Preparation (WSP) program finish its two-week session of employment training and soft-skills development.

On Friday, August 5, 2016, I joined our Joseph Kohn Training Center (JKTC) staff to recognize the graduates of our 2016 Life 101 program, a two-week residential program that focuses on five areas to prepare young students for their final years of high school study and explore their future options. The enthusiasm of this year’s Life 101 students was contagious, and our JKTC staff and Transition Counselors deserve praise for their successful administration of this program.  Additionally, during the last month or so I’ve had the pleasure of spending a day with students in our Student Hands-on Alternatives Re-enforcement Program (SHARP), designed for children in grades 1-8, in both our Cherry Hill and Freehold Service Centers. With the publication of this issue of the Commission Edition, all of our summer youth activities will have come to a close, and I think we can be proud that CBVI has offered another summer full of blindness instruction, social skills development, education, and fun for all who participated in one of our several seasonal offerings.

On Monday, August 8, 2016, I met with the existing administration of Camp Marcella, the summer camp that many blind and vision-impaired youth and adults will remember as providing them with valuable education-laced recreation for years. While CBVI is not entering into a new partnership with Camp Marcella on any significant or long-term basis, I went to learn about its existing program and discuss with the camp’s leadership how CBVI could help promote their scaled-back programs. Camp Marcella leaders are still very much keen to play a part in the summer experience for New Jersey’s blind and vision-impaired youth, and CBVI will do its part to make blind and vision-impaired youth aware of this opportunity. Please look forward to receiving further information about Camp Marcella, and its next camping season, during summer 2017.

For those of you who are regular readers of the Federal Register, you will know that the final regulations of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) were released on Friday, August 19, 2016, and most of these new terms of reference will become active on either September 19or October 19, 2016. In anticipation of the release of these regulations, John Walsh and I attended a technical assistance briefing on the regulations from officials of the Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA), U.S. Department of Education, on Tuesday, August 9, 2016 in Washington, DC. We were given instruction on rules related to Pre-Employment Transition Services; Competitive, Integrated Employment rules and definitions; Supported Employment and Customized Employment rules; terms surrounding Section 511, governing and creating disincentives for payment of sub-minimum wages to persons with disabilities; and new fiscal requirements for the administration of the Vocational Rehabilitation program. This training was followed, the next day, by further analysis offered to State Agency leaders by the Workforce Innovation Technical Assistance Center (WINTAC). John and I returned from those two days of training with information to share with our entire staff; so stay tuned as training is planned for presentation throughout the fall.

For the first time in the history of the World Blind Union’s (WBU’s) existence, this international organization of agencies serving the blind and blindness consumer organizations, held its ninth quadrennial General Assembly in the United States, in Orlando, Florida. I have just returned from spending four days at this international gathering, where I was able to study and observe Vocational Rehabilitation practices that occur around the world; learn about basic efforts to secure civil rights and access to information through the adoption and ratification of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) and the Marrakesh Treaty. The treaty is an agreement to allow international access to publications in specialized formats without clearing conventional copyright rules in each country. I also attended sessions on a variety of issues that impact blind and vision-impaired people in different ways, depending on the resources available in a given nation. The WBU has 196 member countries, and also has multiple international members, general service organizations that cater to the blind and vision-impaired community across national boundaries. I learned a lot from participating at the ninth WBU General Assembly, but I have come away extremely aware of how fortunate our community is in America to enjoy the training and other services that are available here.

This month has also seen CBVI administrators working hard on preparing different sections of our Administrative Code for renewal. Details on N.J.A.C. 10:92, governing our Blindness Education program; N.J.A.C. 10:97, governing our Business Enterprises New Jersey program; and N.J.A.C. 10:93 governing our Independent Living program will be announced soon. With the release of the Federal Workforce Information and Opportunity Act  regulations, we will also soon turn our attention to refreshing N.J.A.C. 10:95, governing our Vocational Rehabilitation program. The effort invested in preparing each of these administrative rules is considerable, and I thank our dedicated professionals who undertake this work with a detailed understanding of each of our discipline areas.

While this has been by no means a full report on all that has happened at the Commission in August, I am pleased to announce, as my last featured item for this month, that the leadership of our Welcome and Evaluation (WE) Team has started training in each of our service centers on the new protocols that will govern the way we receive, route, and respond to incoming consumer requests for services, referral inquiries, and complaints. Once this team is fully operational, I feel confident that CBVI will have an excellent model for receiving and triaging incoming calls.

In closing, I look forward to a thriving fall season at CBVI, one to include implementation of WIOA rules, provision of interesting training opportunities that will enhance your professional knowledge, and our second bi-annual Statewide Staff Development Seminar on Thursday, November 3, 2016. Much is in front of us to accomplish; our achievements will result in improved lives for the consumers that we serve. Enjoy the rest of your summer, and thank you for your daily efforts to help CBVI realize its mission.

Daniel B. Frye
Executive Director

Learning Lunch Reminder:

As previously noted, these monthly sessions will see me meeting with five CBVI staff and a member of our Executive Management Team to receive feedback or suggestions on what the Commission might do that is new and exciting.  Please indicate your interest in being part of such an up and coming forum by sending an email with the subject line “Learning Lunch” to my assistant, Prestina Peters, at Prestina.Peters at dhs.state.nj.us.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Program Administration – John C. Walsh, Chief

Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA): #2 – Employment Outcomes

The final rules governing the implementation of WIOA were published in the Federal Register on August 19, 2016.  The majority of these published rules are connected to the provision of services in the following programs: Vocational Rehabilitation, Supported Employment, Independent Living for Older Blind Individuals, and Limitation of the Use of Sub-Minimum Wage will become effective on September 19, 2016.  This second article in a series will focus on key aspects of the law that will bring changes to CBVI practices and will focus on how “employment outcomes” were redefined in the reauthorization of the law.

Competitive Integrated Employment

The landmark enabling legislation that funds and governs implementation of the Vocational Rehabilitation program is the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and is now Title IV of WIOA. The most recent amendments explain that only employment meeting the definition of “competitive integrated employment” will be considered successful employment outcomes.  Employment that is not compensated by “competitive wages,” such as sub-minimum wage jobs or uncompensated employment, will not be allowable VR employment goals.  Additionally, jobs that are not in “integrated” settings also do not qualify.

Although these expectations are not foreign to the VR community, the law places greater emphasis on promoting the expansion of opportunities for individuals with disabilities to be included as vital participants in the diverse labor force of this country.  The law also stresses the importance of preparing consumers for career pathways that will offer advancement opportunities.  Based on the principles of informed choice, consumers still have the option to seek full-or part-time employment or to pursue self-employment as a career goal. Competitive integrated employment also includes outcomes developed and obtained using a customized employment approach or via services offered by supportive employment programs.

The definition of “competitive integrated employment” stresses that the employment outcomes for individuals with disabilities should be at wage levels not less than what are customarily paid to individuals without disabilities who are eligible for similar benefits, and that the work location is in an integrated setting typically found in the community.  Below is an excerpt from the regulations for further clarification:

“Where the employee with a disability interacts for the purpose of performing the duties of the position with other employees within the particular work unit and the entire work site, and, as appropriate to the work performed, other persons (e.g., customers and vendors), who are not individuals with disabilities (not including supervisory personnel or individuals who are providing services to such employee) to the same extent that employees who are not individuals with disabilities and who are in comparable positions interact with these persons; [34CFR361.5(9)ii(B)]”

Uncompensated Employment:  Unpaid Family Workers and Homemakers

The Commission has already adopted the practice of moving away from supporting uncompensated employment goals,(i.e., unpaid family workers and homemakers.) Since 2012, CBVI has experienced a steady decline in the number of uncompensated employment outcomes within the percentage of total employment closures: 2012-8.45%, 2013- 5%, 2014 – 3.02% and 2015 – 1.69%.   Therefore, CBVI Independent Living Services has already been working with more individuals not seeking employment, but who still require comprehensive services to remain independent.  The new rules should not cause a large shift in how we provide services to this group of individuals.

State VR agencies are allowed a transition period for phasing out these employment goals for  consumers who have an uncompensated employment goal in their Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE) prior to September 19, 2016. These consumers may continue to receive VR services in the future, based on their documented need for continued services.   However, on September 19th and thereafter, uncompensated employment goals will not be an option on any IPE.   Those goals will be removed as options from the FACTS system.   Consumers seeking those goals will be referred to other programs, such as CBVI – IL, the IL-OIB programs, or other community programs.

Below are sections from the Preamble of VR Rule (34CFR361) that clarify the requirements during the transition period:

“In consideration of the comments received, the Secretary [USDOE] has extended the transition period in these final regulations. DSUs [State VR Agencies] may continue to provide services to individuals with uncompensated employment goals on their individualized plans for employment, approved prior to the effective date of these final regulations [September 19, 2016], until June 30, 2017, unless a longer period of time is required based on the needs of the individual with the disability as determined by the vocational rehabilitation counselor and the individual with a disability, as documented in the individual’s service record.

In final § 361.37, the DSU [State VR Agency] is required to refer that individual [with an uncompensated employment goal] to other Federal, State, or local programs and providers that can meet the individual’s needs for related services (e.g., the State Independent Living Services (SILS) program, Independent Living Services for Older Individuals Who Are Blind program (OIB), Centers for Independent Living program (CIL), and programs for the aging). [Preamble to 34CFR361]”

Vocational Rehabilitation and Transition Services – Amanda Gerson, Coordinator

WE Team Process Guide – Effective Tuesday, September 6th, 2016

Purpose: The WE (Welcome and Evaluation) Team will be the first point of contact for handling all outreach to the agency from potential consumers. This includes consumers who are either completely new to CBVI or those who have received services in the past and had their case closed, but who are now in need of additional services. The team will also serve as a source of Information and Referral (I&R) for individuals reaching out to CBVI for general information about the agency, inquiries that should be directed to supervisors/managers/executive management, and redirection to other state agencies as appropriate.

Phase 1: To handle initial contact, provide information about CBVI Services, gather relevant information leading up to (for VR) and including (for IL/ILOB and Education) application for CBVI services, the WE Team will complete the following forms:

1.   Demographics

2.   First Point of Contact (FPOC) Form – a new form that will provide additional relevant background information about the consumer, their insurance status, identified needs, and a summary of the initial contact

3.   Scan eye report*

4.   Visual/Medical Form

5.   Referral Specifics Form

6.   IL/ILOB/ED Application

When the referral is ready for processing, an email will be sent to the supervisor with the FPOC form as reference.

*Note: If a potential VR or Education consumer is identified, and there is reasonable belief that this individual’s eye condition meets the eligibility requirements, the case may be referred to the supervisor before an eye report is received so as to not delay the provision of services.

During Phase 1, the WE Team can be contacted via fax, email, and the CBVI toll-free number. The team members will also collect information about the volume, demographic, and nature of contacts received so that planning and appropriate arrangements can be made for implementation of Phase 2. It is anticipated that Phase 1 will last through the end of 2016. During this time, the WE Team will NOT do full intakes and eligibility determinations. These will continue to be the responsibility of the service unit following referral to the supervisor.

Social Services and Referral Support

The WE Team is also a resource for external social services and referral support to CBVI staff and their consumers. However, it is important that Primary Case Workers (PCWs) remain fully engaged and central in this process.

If a PCW identifies that a consumer could benefit from additional supports outside of CBVI, and needs assistance identifying those resources, the PCW should:

-         Email the WE Team with a copy to their supervisor with as much detail as possible to describe the consumer’s situation and assistance request.

-         Facilitate communication between the WE Team and the consumer, if so requested by the WE Team member.*

-         The WE Team member will likely provide the PCW with the relevant resources that the PCW should share with the consumer. Should additional follow-up support be required, the PCW may reach out again to the WE Team member who provided the assistance with any additional questions.

*Note: Staff should not instruct an open consumer to contact the WE Team directly.

How and When to Direct Calls/Emails/Inquiries to the WE Team

-         When contact is received, whether via email, phone, or fax, please use FACTS to determine whether a consumer is currently open with CBVI. If a consumer has an active case in IL/ILOB/VR/Education, please direct the contact to the consumer’s Primary Case Worker, Supervisor, or Manager, as appropriate. Do not forward emails/faxes/calls to the WE Team for consumers that are already open with CBVI.

-         New or consumers whose cases are closed with CBVI but are requesting additional services should be directed to the WE Team.

o   If contacted via phone, please transfer the call to the toll-free number listed below and provide the number to the caller.

o   Eye reports received from doctors’ offices should be faxed to the WE Team after checking FACTS to determine if the Case is not active.

o   Email inquiries for general requests for potentially new or closed cases can also be forwarded to the WE Team.

WE Team Fax Number: TBD
WE Team Email: CBVI.WE-Team at dhs.state.nj.us
WE Team Toll-Free Number: 1-877-685-8878

Educational Services – Eva Scott, Director of Blindness Education

“Believe you can, and you’re halfway there.” -  Theodore Roosevelt

The 2016-2017 Academic Year:  After a very busy and productive summer our teachers in Blindness Education are preparing for a new academic year.  This year will reflect our ongoing efforts to provide progressive and innovative services to CBVI students. As always, our teachers have the best interests of their students at heart.  They are in the process of completing their full understanding of the IEP process as mandated by federal and state laws so that they can provide optimal support to each student’s IEP team to better support their students’ success in school.  As this issue of the Commission Edition goes to press, the Education Supervisors are finalizing caseloads for the teachers.  The work of our teachers and their supervisors is never without complications or complexity; however, everyone in Blindness Education is confident that we can do what needs to be done for CBVI students.

Blindness Education Services to Infants and Toddlers:  This year, there will be three teachers who will be dedicated to serving infants and toddlers ages birth through two years who are served by the New Jersey Early Intervention System.  These three teachers possess a special expertise in early childhood education in addition to also being certified Teachers of the Visually Impaired.  Each teacher is also known and respected by a large number of Early Intervention service providers and county coordinators.  They will be able to provide much-needed support to parents of infants and toddlers as well as to the service providers in fostering early childhood development in these young children.

SHARP 2016:  SHARP 2016 has drawn to a close.  This year a total of 74 students in grades first through eighth each had an opportunity to make new friends and participate in a variety of new experiences in music and the arts, sports and recreation, cooking, shopping, and getting around in the community.  One of the main focuses of SHARP 2016 was independence and self-determination.  Every student in the program was asked to stretch his or her limits in terms of demonstrating independence in daily living, communication, movement, travel, academics, and technology.  SHARP 2016 provided the students with these opportunities in an environment that was both fun and supportive.  It is my hope that the parents and teachers of these students will notice increased independence both at home and at school.  A parent feedback form will be sent to all parents whose children attended SHARP 2016 for the purpose of understanding the parents’ point of view regarding the successes and challenges of SHARP 2016 so we may apply those comments and recommendations to implement further enhancements for SHARP 2017.

Whenever a program such as this one is successful, it is because many people worked together to make it happen.  A huge “Thank You” goes out to all parents for allowing us the opportunity to share this program with their precious children.  Each child became an important part of the dynamic within each of the groups.  Also, a great “Thank You” goes out to all of the staff who made SHARP 2016 so successful.  This includes the teachers, the O&M instructors, the rehabilitation instructors, the technology specialists, the Meyer Center staff, the Blindness Education Services supervisors, the Independent Living Services supervisors, and the coordinator of Assistive Technology Services.  Last but certainly not least, a tremendous “Thank You” to all of the drivers, the employees they usually transport, and to the coordinators of the driving schedules.  Each of these individuals balanced all of his or her work duties and time constraints to safely transport the children to and from where they needed to go.

The Annual Teachers’ Symposium:  Planning is under way for the Annual Teachers’ Symposium that will occur on October 12-13, 2016, at the Conference Center located at Mercer County Community College in West Windsor, New Jersey.  CBVI teachers will present workshops designed to help classroom teachers who work with our blind or vision-impaired students better understand the needs of these students in terms of instructional approaches, the importance of orientation and mobility skills, assistive technology, adaptive physical education, and transition services offered by CBVI.  Also, a special workshop will be provided for school administrators, supervisors, and child study team members to foster their understanding of the needs of our students and how these administrators can support our students and the work of our teachers, O&M instructors, technology staff, and transition counselors.

Independent Living & Clinical Services – Elizabeth DeShields, Coordinator

Seniors Hands-On Retreat Experience:  A SHORE Thing

According to CBSnews.com*, “People around the world are living much longer than they did a few decades ago, a new study indicates.  Worldwide life expectancy rose from 65.3 years in 1990 to 71.5 years in 2013, but women had slightly greater gains than men. During that time, life expectancy at birth increased 6.6 years for females and 5.8 years for males.”

As this trend continues, the number of consumers who are blind or vision-impaired should also increase, thus increasing our obligation and goal to address related ongoing needs.  More consumers are having to adjust to vision loss and are searching for support groups. Technology is changing rapidly and many of the “baby boomers” are not only finding it difficult to learn for the first time, but also to adapt what they have learned in conjunction with their vision loss. Technology skills and support services help to keep our consumers socially and emotionally engaged. Whether it is networking with others that have shared experiences, staying in touch with loved ones via email, or reading the news on a tablet, CBVI staff along with other trained professionals will be addressing these needs and more at our first Senior Hands-On Retreat Experience (A SHORE Thing).

A SHORE Thing is a week-long retreat that will take place in Atlantic City, NJ. This federally funded (Title VII Chapter 2 OIB) program is an all-inclusive program that will provide real life experiential learning for 12 consumers that are age 55 and over and their companions. While at the retreat, participants will receive intensive independent living instruction in safe travel, health and wellness, assistive technology, communication, and self-advocacy skills. Consumers will also obtain information about and/or participate in coping with vision loss, community integration, and leisure activity options.

On Friday, August 19th the SHORE planning committee and Independent Living (IL) Supervisors met at the Atlantic County Public Library in Atlantic City. That week was jam-packed with various learning opportunities and lots of fun. While in Atlantic City, staff participated in a walking tour of the area and checked out the Orientation and Mobility, Rehabilitation Teaching, and Eye Health awareness possibilities.   The boardwalk and the beach made for a great backdrop.  The library was a short distance from the future home of our Library Equal Access Programs (LEAP) that offers assistive technology software training in speech and magnification to those seniors who are experiencing a change in their vision.  Stockton University, the boardwalk, and our new office location are also in close proximity to the retreat.

Please feel free to recommend Independent Living/Older Blind consumers that are motivated and in need of learning independent living skills in a concentrated format.  Recommendations should be sent to the IL supervisors who will follow up with staff and review the application process.  This is the first of several senior retreats that will be held statewide.

*http://www.cbsnews.com/news/life-expectancy-rises-in-every-region-but-one/

Joseph Kohn Training Center – Del Basha, Manager

LIFE 101

“Cooperate – Encourage – Participate,” were the main themes of the 2016 Life 101 Program. This initiative, which is specifically for blind and vision-impaired students in their first or second year of high school, is designed to provide participants with a hands-on learning experience to gain the necessary tools and self-awareness to facilitate their preparation for life after high school graduation.

This year, from the end of July to the beginning of August 2016, 15 blind and vision-impaired high school students were in residence at the Joseph Kohn Training Center (JKTC) to participate in Life 101. The program’s curriculum consisted of experiential learning activities that maximized the students’ learning experiences in the areas of:

1.   Activities of Daily Living (ADL)

2.   Career Exploration

3.   Post-Secondary Education Preparation

4.   Technology

5.   Orientation and Mobility

The program is staffed by CBVI employees who have expertise in each of the program areas.

During Life 101, students participated in learning modules in each of these areas, engaged in self-advocacy exercises, and also prepared projects to demonstrate what they learned from each module. Communication skills, decision-making skills, and leadership skills were also addressed throughout the program.

The students participated in a number of field trips and evening activities, designed to promote independence in a variety of ways.  There were field trips to: Rutgers University, the Heldrich Hotel, Point Pleasant, Medieval Times, Plays in the Park, and other points of interest. During these activities, the students posed employment-related questions to various professionals.  They were also required to use their O&M skills to navigate through streets, a college campus, and crowds at the different venues.

After the last full day of Life 101, there was an “Evening Social” that was planned and coordinated entirely by the students. The Life 101 young adults skillfully decorated the JKTC cafeteria, planned a fun agenda, and even ordered the refreshments. The services of a DJ, who is also a JKTC alumnus, were retained, so that music could liven up the evening.

Life 101 concluded with a graduation ceremony attended by the students, their families, and CBVI staff. The JKTC conference room was transformed elegantly with colorful balloons and flowers. This task was well organized and executed by the JKTC’s administrative support staff, Rhonda Morris and Cynthia James. After a welcome message by Del Basha and Amanda Gerson, CBVI Executive Director, Dan Frye, addressed the audience. Then JKTC supervisors, Sue Engstrom and Maria Beras, presented certificates of achievement to each student. Finally, the guests of honor, the students themselves, said a few words about Life 101.

Based on their remarks, it became clear that the students were in fact able to Cooperate, Encourage, and Participate during Life 101.

The Life 101 Program was remarkably successful because of the dedicated efforts of all the different CBVI staff, including: JKTC workers, transition caseworkers, nurses, drivers, temporary employees, and other committed individuals.

Business Enterprises of New Jersey – Deacon Truesdale, Manager

The Business Enterprises New Jersey (BENJ) is adopting the Hadley Institute for the Blind and Visually Impaired Randolph-Sheppard training program.  The National Association of Blind Merchants Business Enterprise Program Licensee Training (BEPLT) offers a national curriculum of 11 online business modules that provide training for individuals who are blind and are working toward becoming a Randolph-Sheppard vendor.  BENJ will offer a hands-on training component to supplement the BEPLT.  The hands-on training will involve learning about NJAC 10:97, the rules and regulations of BENJ, the Randolph-Sheppard Act and on-the-job-training (OJT).

Vocational Rehabilitation Counselors must refer and authorize their client to participate in the program.  The tuition for this program is $3,499.00 for each trainee.  Candidates must first meet the national eligibility requirements of the Randolph-Sheppard program and BENJ. Consumers must be legally blind, at least 18 years of age, earned a high school or equivalency diploma, a legal resident of the United States and New Jersey, and submit to a criminal background check.  There are other basic requirements before enrolling in the Hadley program which are: keyboarding skills, familiarity with navigating the internet, internet access through a PC or Mac, proficiency in either a screen reader or screen magnification software, and email capabilities.

The National Association of Blind Merchants is listed as the vendor for the BEPLT.  It is now listed as vendors in CBVI’s FACTS system.  Once a consumer is deemed eligible after the BENJ evaluation, the VRC can do an authorization for the training.  The first few candidates from New Jersey are now starting this wonderful training opportunity to become part of the BENJ program.

The information for the Hadley BEPLT program can be found at http://www.hadley.edu/NABM-BEP.asp.  Please contact the BENJ office at 732-418-3270for further information.

Regional Updates

Northern Service Region – John Reiff, Manager

·        Initial Interviews were completed this past Friday for an additional Home Instructor in the NSC.  A candidate will be recommended shortly. Candidates have been identified for an Eye Health Nurse position in both the FSC and the NSC. Interviews will be scheduled this week. Interviews for two O&M Instructors for the NSC will be scheduled once candidates are identified.

·        Thank you IL staff in the Northern Service Region (NSR)  for your contribution to the SHARP program in Newark and Freehold; Ralph Malatesta, Tina Singleton, Claire Piasecki, Kay Everswick, Cecelia Ojoawo, Sandfra Oliver, Rebecca Espensheid, Madelyn Samol, Cherry Zhu, Julio Perez, Yesenia Carrasquillo, and Laurel King. Thanks also to Paula Hines and Donna Galarza for pitching in as Transportation Aides on the vans when needed. I would also like to thank Donna for her contribution to the scheduling and coordination of transportation resources in the FSC as well as the neat trophies for the students that she and Lisa Sparrow created. Finally, thanks to all the NSR drivers who pitched in to get students to and from the two locations safely and on time.

Submitted by Lori Kirn and Diana Cortez (From BlindAthletes.com):

Introducing Coach Donna Malachefski Panaro
Donna discovered the joy of running as a young teenager growing up in New Jersey back in the days when her favorite artist, Bruce Springsteen, released the album Darkness on the Edge of Town. Transitioning into adulthood, she attained a degree in business from Caldwell College, secured
a job as a Marketing Analyst at Panasonic Corporation, and got married. Soon thereafter she was expecting her first child and her life, at that point, seemed to be flowing in the expected rhythms.  Then, in a crescendo of poetic irony, she encountered a shocking "darkness on the edge" which would change the tune of her life.

Her baby was born with a condition known as Anophthalmia, which means her beautiful daughter was born without eyes. Donna found herself facing barriers as she sought to meet the special needs of her daughter, Kristin. She made a decision to do whatever was in her power to help Kristin develop skills, competence, and independence. The strength of that resolve made her go back to school and attain a Master's degree in Orientation and Mobility from the Pennsylvania School of Optometry. She also attained a Teacher of the Visually Impaired (TVI) certification, and by doing so, Donna willfully empowered herself to make a difference in Kristin's life.

By the time Springsteen released Born in the USA, Donna's life and career had experienced a rebirth. She was blessed with another child, Thomas, and secured a career opportunity as Orientation and Mobility Specialist with the New Jersey Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired. Over the years she has positively impacted the lives of hundreds of blind individuals.

Through it all she continued to run. In fact, running has been the constant cadence in her life's ballad. It has been a source for her physical and mental well-being - her fountain of happiness. Recently, one of her mobility clients, Amo Musharraf, who operates a sports club for blind athletes - The New Jersey Fillies - invited Donna to volunteer her time as an athletics coach. She felt as if life had come full circle, connecting her passion for running with her devotion to individuals who are vision-impaired.

Blind athletes can learn to read with competence, walk with confidence, and run full speed toward meaningful goals. They can pursue excellence, find joy, and indeed go through life, as Springsteen put it, Dancing in the Dark.

Southern Region – Jack Thompson, Manager

Submitted by Katie Donnellon, Andrea Askie-Rosario, and Stephen Hornikel: On July, 28th, the Gloucester County Workforce Development and Gloucester County Board of Chosen Freeholders sponsored a job fair and resource event for people with disabilities.  CBVI Business Relations Specialist, Andrea Askie-Rosaria and VR Counselors Stephen Hornikel, and Katie Donnellon attended and enjoyed networking with both the recruiters representing a variety of employers and CBVI consumers that attended the event.

Farmers Insurance, FedEx, Virtua Health, Pepsi-Cola, Target, Comcast, and the Delaware Port Authority are a few of the businesses and organizations that participated in this event.  CBVI staff spent some time talking to employers about CBVI as well as gathering information about their hiring practices. Each recruiter seemed open and optimistic about hiring individuals with disabilities and provided insightful information about positions available within their companies.

The Gloucester County job fair was unique because at typical job fairs, all the employers are usually in one room, ready to greet job-seekers with a 30-second scripted speech about employment at their company.  This job fair was set up in two rooms, filled with over twenty-five companies prepared to provide information, support, and other resources.

This well-attended job fair was a great opportunity for all in attendance who were interested in getting to work. Throughout the room you saw individuals with various disabilities engaging in conversations with the employers. Several CBVI consumers said that they felt positive about the experience and the potential of becoming employed as a result of taking advantage of this opportunity.

Another valuable outcome for those representing CBVI was being able to network with service providers from other agencies and community resource organizations. Overall, participation in this job fair event was a good experience that will enhance efforts to help consumers achieve a greater degree of independence and self-sufficiency.

New or Noteworthy

Sept. 6, 1908 - Montclair, NJ - From The New York Times

HELPING NEW JERSEY’S BLIND
Efforts Being Made by Commission to Give Them Opportunities of Work

“Light Through Work,” is the resulting effort by the state commission to investigate the condition of the blind in New Jersey, is endeavoring to bring about employment opportunities for the sightless ones in the state. The commission, which has offices in the Public Library Building in Newark, is making a census of the blind of the state, and it is now estimated that there are over 1,200 persons afflicted. The commission is working with police departments to acquire the Census information because the police officers usually know every blind person on their beat. The identity of every blind person in Jersey City, Hoboken, Camden, Passaic, Paterson, and Newark has been obtained by this method.

The commission finds that the great need in this state is not a home for the blind, but suitable and remunerative employment for those who are sightless. Nine out of every 10 blind persons communicated with by the commission have stated that they would prefer to be engaged at some work which would enable them to live independently and not become idle charges.

The commission is endeavoring therefore, to find new fields of usefulness for the blind. According to the census returns, the usual occupations for the blind are piano tuning, broom making, and cane chair making. There are some blind stenographers in the state, and only a few days ago the commission received a letter that was dictated to a blind person. A number of the blind in the state are also employed as telephone operators.

One of the plans of the commission is to establish workshops for the blind in all the larger cities. It is also proposed to have the blind children taught in separate classes in the public schools.

The census of the blind is bringing some interesting cases to the attention of the commission. One of the most remarkable is that of Mrs. Sarah J. Churchill of Montclair. Mrs. Churchill has been stricken blind at the age of 72 years. For 22 years she had taught in the public schools of Montclair. When blindness overtook her, she resolutely set about to ameliorate her condition. Mrs. Churchill learned to read by the Braille system, and has perfected the use of a typewriter with raised characters.

Editor’s Note:  The article failed to mention that the “commission” was actually formed as a result of Mrs. Churchill’s advocacy efforts for blind people living in New Jersey. She invited Helen Keller to her home to address the importance of providing educational and vocational opportunities for blind people to a group of NJ legislators and business leaders, including Governor-Elect and future U.S. President Woodrow Wilson.  Helen Keller is said to have spoken audibly for the first time at this gathering. We have included this article about the early activity of the Commission to promote and expose the organization’s historical efforts in New Jersey. In an attempt to preserve the authenticity of the time, we have retained language in this article that would not, as a matter of course or custom, be employed in CBVI’s contemporary communications.

comments

The Last Words

“The person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds.” – Mark Twain

Please send items or suggestions for the next issue of the Commission Edition by or before 11 a.m., Monday, September 19, 2016: Pamela.Gaston at dhs.state.nj.us and Prestina.Peters at dhs.state.nj.us

Forwarded by:

Alice Eaddy
Secretary, National Federation of the Blind of New Jerse
(856)765-060
nfbnj.secretary at aol.com
You can't base your life on other people's expectations
Stevie Wonder

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail