[NFBNJ] April Commission Edition

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 25 14:24:48 UTC 2017

Greetings to all!
As my policy, I have forwarded the Commission Edition for April 2017.
Please read an share with others.
My personal comments with the hiring of a blind orientation and mobility instructor at the JKTC will add additional support to all to continue to raise expectations to live the life we want.
Congratulations to all staff at our agency that provide the ttools to assist the consumers to transform dreams into reality.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

Commission Edition
The Monthly Newsletter of the NJ Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired

April 2017 – Volume 5, No. 4

Daniel B. Frye, J.D.                                                                                           Pamela Gaston

Executive Director                                                                                    Editor

>From the Director’s Desk
While attending a recent Executive Management Team (EMT) meeting for the Department of Human Services (DHS), where all division directors and other departmental leaders meet with our Acting Commissioner, Beth Connolly, we discussed the importance of delivering high-quality customer service to all DHS consumers. Just as my office occasionally receives calls from dissatisfied consumers that I must address, Acting Commissioner Connolly also receives similar complaint calls. In both of our cases, we may investigate and find that our first-line staff made the appropriate call and decision, even if the decision resulted in a consumer being unhappy with the conclusion reached; in other cases, we may review the concern and determine that we have the discretion to exercise some authority that will permit resolution of the issue, in the consumer’s favor. In either scenario, both Acting Commissioner Connolly and I, want all of our employees to engage with our consumers in a kind, respectful, and empathetic fashion. Even if the determination that must be shared with a consumer about a particular service may be perceived as unfavorable, the manner in which this decision is conveyed will often make a difference in how the consumer hears and internalizes the action. I am confident that all CBVI staff strive to achieve an appropriate level of professional interaction with our consumers, but I am asking in this month’s column that each of you re-dedicate yourselves to this important principle of effective government service. As I have said on multiple occasions, please endeavor to say “yes” when you are able and “no” only when you must.

I had planned to devote my April 2017 column to summarizing what occurred during the semiannual spring conferences of the Council of State Administrators of Vocational Rehabilitation (CSAVR) and the National Council of State Agencies for the Blind (NCSAB), but I will defer this until another time. Instead, I want to resurrect my February 2014 Director’s Desk column, in which I offered my views on customer service.

Here it is:

Washington Irving has said, “A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles.” In the course of my forty-five years, I have found this to be a universal truth. To be sure, I have not always succeeded in living mindful of the principle that my courtesy and civility will yield positive results in and among others with whom I associate, but as I’ve matured, this has always been my aspirational goal.

As a trained mediator, advocate, and administrator, distinctly different roles, I have always found that a quiet and reasonable tone, an abundance of patience, an open mind, and the absence of a defensive posture are the essential ingredients for handling potentially complex and inflammatory situations. These thoughtful behaviors de-escalate tense situations, calm angry people, and allow “the better angels of our nature” to find the most constructive resolution or pathway forward out of a seemingly impossible situation. Even if agreement cannot be achieved, these approaches will, more often than not, enable people to differ amicably without being difficult.

As representatives of the State of New Jersey, and providers of important education, vocational rehabilitation, independent living, and eye-health services, it is especially incumbent upon us to be mindful of the need to be professional under the most trying of circumstances. At the most basic level, we work as ambassadors of the government, so this conduct is simply expected of us as part of our job performance. More important, though, is the fact that we work with many consumers who come to us in moments of uncertainty, adjustment, and crisis in their lives. Given this truth, we are likely to encounter people in the course of our daily work who may not be on their best behavior. They may be short, demanding, or worse. It’s important to me that CBVI staff meet these challenging encounters with more kindness and courtesy than may be ordinarily expected. Finally, too many of our consumers already feel (even if unconsciously) an unnecessary sense of gratitude for the services that CBVI provides as a matter of established public policy and law, so anything other than polite and professional engagement may negatively magnify the sense of obligation that our customers needlessly experience when accepting our services. Programs that we administer must empower and not unwittingly foster emotions regularly related to the perception of receiving dignity-stripping government support. I expect courtesy and kindness to be the hallmark of our everyday devotion to high-quality customer service to our consumers and to one another.

I am confident that you will find that a little kindness will go a long way to relieving your daily stress and enhancing your interactions with those we serve. Avoiding a snarky comment about a colleague or consumer will minimize the negative energy in a given day. Stepping back in the face of an unreasonable or irrational tirade from a dissatisfied consumer or third-party vendor may defuse an unpleasant encounter. Allowing positive thoughts and civility to prevail in our daily interactions truly can make a difference in how we feel about ourselves, our environment, and those we serve and engage.

In closing, let me assure you that I appreciate that being human is hard. We all have and will falter in pursuit of our ambitious desires to be courteous and kind. And none of us need be subject to abusive treatment from colleagues or consumers. But the services that CBVI staff provide to our consumers, and the nature of our internal relations, will benefit from our trying extra hard to be mindful of the value of courtesy and kindness. Ashleigh Brilliant made an excellent point when she offered, “The most unkind people deserve our kindness the most.”

Daniel B. Frye

Executive Director

Learning Lunch Reminder:

As previously noted, during each of these monthly sessions, I will meet with five CBVI staff and a member of our Executive Management Team to receive feedback or suggestions on what the Commission might do that is new and exciting.  Please indicate your interest in being part of such an up and coming forum by sending an email with the subject line “Learning Lunch” to my assistant, Melissa Brown, at Melissa.Brown2 at dhs.state.nj.us

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Program Administration – John C. Walsh, Chief
Employment Outcomes: What is an acceptable employment outcome under WIOA?
The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014 (WIOA) further refined the definition of what are acceptable employment goals in order for individuals with disabilities to receive vocational rehabilitation services.   As I have mentioned in previous Commission Edition articles, the employment outcomes of homemakers and unpaid family workers were once considered to be valid employment goals and outcomes under the Workforce Innovation Act of 1998, the last iteration of the enabling legislation for the vocational rehabilitation program.  However, with the passage of WIOA in 2014, homemaker and unpaid family worker were phased out as being acceptable employment goals.  Moving forward, the only acceptable employment goals for our consumers to receive vocational rehabilitation services must be a job in competitive, integrated employment.  Below is the full definition of “competitive, integrated employment” directly from the Code of Federal Regulations (34 CFR 361.4(9)):

“Competitive integrated employment means work that—

(i)  Is performed on a full-time or part-time basis (including self-employment) and for which an individual is compensated at a rate that–

          (A)  Is not less than the higher of the rate specified in section 6(a)(1) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (29 U.S.C. 206(a)(1)) or the rate required under the applicable State or local minimum wage law for the place of employment;

          (B)  Is not less than the customary rate paid by the employer for the same or similar work performed by other employees who are not individuals with disabilities and who are similarly situated in similar occupations by the same employer and who have similar training, experience, and skills; and

          (C)  In the case of an individual who is self-employed, yields an income that is comparable to the income received by other individuals who are not individuals with disabilities and who are self-employed in similar occupations or on similar tasks and who have similar training, experience, and skills; and

          (D)  Is eligible for the level of benefits provided to other employees; and

(ii)  Is at a location—

          (A)  Typically found in the community; and

          (B)  Where the employee with a disability interacts for the purpose of performing the duties of the position with other employees within the particular work unit and the entire work site, and, as appropriate to the work performed, other persons (e.g., customers and vendors), who are not individuals with disabilities (not including supervisory personnel or individuals who are providing services to such employee) to the same extent that employees who are not individuals with disabilities and who are in comparable positions interact with these persons; and

(iii) Presents, as appropriate, opportunities for advancement that are similar to those for other employees who are not individuals with disabilities and who have similar positions.”

Recently, the Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) released a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) document to provide state agencies with further guidance on implementing the new requirements under the law in relation to employment goals and outcomes.   Although CBVI has made it a practice to only accept employment goals for an Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE) that at least paid minimum wage or the prevailing wage for the particular job, excluding homemakers and unpaid family workers, which were less than 2% of all annual employment outcomes, there were occasions when our consumers, through a process of informed choice, sought employment in segregated settings. These enclave settings or workshops are operated by various community rehabilitation programs or the National Industries for the Blind (NIB), with two examples being Bestwork Industries for the Blind in South Jersey and the Veterans Administration Call Center operated by Everas Community Services.

Based on a review of the recently released FAQs from RSA, these employment settings would no longer meet the definition of “competitive, integrated employment”.  In addition, any employment opportunities that are sought in the state set-aside programs, through a community rehabilitation program, are also not considered to meet the definition of competitive employment in an integrated setting.  Below is the text verbatim from the FAQs outline provided by RSA that clarifies what it means for a job to be “typically found in the community”:

“Employment settings that are “typically found in the community” are those in the competitive labor market (81 FR at 55642). Settings established by community rehabilitation programs specifically for the purpose of employing individuals with disabilities (e.g., sheltered workshops) do not constitute integrated settings because these settings are not typically found in the competitive labor market--the first of two criteria that must be satisfied if a VR agency is to determine that a work setting is an integrated location under 34 CFR §361.5(c) (9).

The Department [U.S. Department of Education] has long considered several factors that generally would result in a business being considered “not typically found in the community,” which include: (1) the funding of positions through Javits-Wagner-O’Day (JWOD) Act contracts or State purchase programs; (2) allowances under the Fair Labor Standards Act for compensatory subminimum wages; and (3) compliance with a mandated direct labor-hour ratio of persons with disabilities.”

Therefore, for any consumer who currently has an employment goal in a segregated setting, such as Bestwork Industries, Everas Community Services Call Center, or any other setting established by a community rehabilitation program, the agency will continue to allow those employment closures, i.e., 26 closures, up until June 30th, 2017. From July 1, 2017 onward, those employment outcomes will no longer be permissible.   A Technical Assistance Circular will be forthcoming to provide staff additional guidance moving forward with this change.  Until that guidance piece is issued, staff may contact me or Amanda Gerson to receive additional guidance.

Organizational Logistics – Ines Matos, Chief
Successful Technology is More than Just Tools – Submitted by Colleen Faupel: Twenty years ago, a “good” computer had a 500 MB hard drive. Sharing files involved 3.5 inch floppy disks. Does anyone even know what that is anymore? And the idea that you could "check your email" anytime did not exist.

In 2017, we walk around with mini computers in our pockets that let us check our email, send photos, share files, read a book, search online, make a call and maintain a calendar all while sharing information on websites for family and friends across the world to see at any time. Technology changes daily. New apps, new updates to old apps and new emerging technologies surface every day and one of the best improvements has been the access to technology that improves accessibility for many people. I can only imagine what technology will be like in another 20 years.

This time of year the TSS staff are actively working with graduating seniors to provide Assistive Technology Assessments to help determine what technology will be best suited for their college goals. While the TSS can make recommendations for training and tools that will help, some basic reminders about the use of assistive technology should be reinforced by everyone and can be applied to education, vocational rehabilitation, and independent living. With this in mind, I thought it would be helpful to provide a few tips related to technology and its use. These are tips that should be reinforced by everyone to any consumer to help them best prepare and succeed with their technology:

1. Know your technology - Play with it, try things out, download free apps or programs and explore websites. Check YouTube.com for “how to” videos. Practice with it before class/work starts and not just during training sessions. Know how long things will take you and if you need to schedule yourself extra time for some tasks.

2. Know where you can get help and be prepared - Seek out the tech department, the support offices, the tutoring centers and see what technology they are familiar with and what they have that you can use if your technology fails.  Have a backup plan and then a backup for that plan.

3. Backup. Backup and Backup - Saving your work to more than one location is so important. Invest in a sturdy USB thumb drive that you can use to not only backup work but also share if necessary.

4. Make the most of your time - Use the tools (magnification/audio) you have available to make tasks easier and more efficient. There is no reason to take the long way and spend unnecessary extra time to complete the same work as your peers/co-workers just because you learn differently. Plan shortcuts into your technology use.

5. Educate others on the tools you use - Take the time to speak to your professors, classmates or co-workers. The more they understand about the technology you use, the more help they can be sending you the correct file types or understanding why you might ask for help if you miss something.

Technology opens up the doors to new possibilities and access to materials that otherwise might not have been available before now. We need to be sure we support our consumers with these tips in addition to their technology tools. Having access to the tools is only one piece of what our consumers need to be successful.

Fiscal Operations – Edward Szajdecki, Chief
Now that we have entered the final quarter of the State Fiscal Year 2017, this is a good time to send out a few reminders concerning the approaching end of the Fiscal Year.

Open authorizations in case files should be reviewed and acted upon now to efficiently manage funds, especially for Education accounts. During the next few weeks, please follow up and certify any outstanding payments due and cancel authorizations that are no longer needed.  Funds for essential goods and services needed for our education consumers may not be available these final months if open authorizations are not reviewed.

The other area for emphasis is the submission of travel expense vouchers for reimbursement. Now is the time to submit your expenses for all months up to, and including, March 2017. There should not be large, multi-month, submissions in June and July. Please get up to date on your expense submissions now and submit the final months as they pass. This allows for proper budgeting and keeps the reimbursement process expedient.

Look for and refer to the annual Fiscal Year End Guidelines (via email) forthcoming in May for additional details. Supervisors and Managers should make sure all staff are aware of the guidelines and cut off dates.

As always, feel free to contact any of the Fiscal team members with any questions and also make use of the Fiscal group email (CBVI-Fiscal) whenever possible.

Educational Services – Eva Scott, Director of Blindness Education
“Life is like riding a bicycle.  To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

Albert Einstein

Although we are rapidly approaching the end of the 2016-2017 academic year, our teachers are continuing to move forward with planning for our summer activities in Blindness Education as well as preparing for the coming 2017-2018 academic year.

SHARP 2017: This will be the third summer for our SHARP program.  At the present time there are 84 students statewide who are planning to attend SHARP 2017.  Our planning teams in Newark, Freehold, and Cherry Hill are preparing not only for a full house in each location, but also a full agenda of activities focusing on literacy, skills of independence, technology and the practical application of these skills in the classroom and community.  Although most of the students participating in SHARP are under the age of 14, we consider SHARP to be a transitional program.  The older students attending SHARP are about to enter the formal Pre-Employment Transition phase of their school careers.  SHARP is intended to help them prepare for the next phase of their lives academically and socially.  For our younger students, SHARP has become a means of beginning the conversation about the future and what will occur when they reach high school and beyond.  This year, we are planning to have high school students from our EDGE program as interns to provide some informal mentorship to our elementary and middle school students and to demonstrate for them how successful they can become if they master academics, become independent, and demonstrate self-advocacy.  The EDGE students will help provide the connection between the expectations of elementary and middle school and the expectations of young adulthood and high school.  I wish to express my thanks to Pat McKenna, Patricia Ebel, and Connor Mullin for helping to bring about this opportunity for our students.

Early Intervention Update: Our three TVIs who provide services to infants, toddlers, their caregivers, and early intervention providers are planning to conduct formal training activities for the caregivers and providers.  Our teachers are planning to conduct these training activities collaboratively in various locations throughout New Jersey for the purpose of providing a concentrated learning opportunity and building the capacity of caregivers and early intervention providers to address the sensory and developmental needs of blind, vision impaired, and deaf-blind infants and toddlers.  These activities are in the developmental stage, and there will be more information in future issues of the Commission Edition.

Say, “Yes” whenever possible, and say, “No” only when necessary: Our Executive Director, Dan Frye spoke these words to our teachers approximately one year ago.  During this academic year, many of our teachers took these words very seriously.  For this reason, we are moving closer to our ultimate goal of providing the highest quality blindness education services possible with the focus squarely on our students.  Our mindfulness of these words has also allowed our Blindness Education Unit to support our local education agencies as we all strive to provide FAPE (Free and Appropriate Public Education) to our students as mandated by IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act).  As many are aware, earlier this year, the United States Supreme Court issued a decision regarding FAPE.  The court’s decision reaffirmed the high standards set forth under the provisions of IDEA with regard to Free and Appropriate Public Education.  This decision is expected to have far reaching implications for our students in terms of the quality of their education because the court clarified that students with disabilities must be provided with more than a minimal educational benefit.  Our ability to say, “yes” makes it possible to work more collaboratively with students, parents and local education agencies so that our students can have the skills, tools, and access they need to achieve not just a minimal outcome, but the highest possible outcome.  It is my hope for the coming academic year, that our teachers will continue to say, “Yes” whenever possible to support the best education possible for our students.

The George F. Meyer Instructional Resource Center (TMC) Officially Debuts “The Meyer Center Electronic Library” – submitted by Christine Hinton: Now accessible on the left side of the CBVI intranet page, “The Meyer Center Electronic Library”, makes its formal debut. The development and availability of this library will enhance the efficiency of the TMC and will enable the staff to work interchangeably with other units and departments.

This library houses over 1,000 electronic files in both PDF (Portable Document Format) and BRF (Braille Ready File) formats.  The book titles include both academic textbooks and novels.  The PDFs can be converted by the Meyer Center into a BRF format and can be provided either electronically, in hard copy braille or hard copy large print. Titles are added to the library on a daily basis.

The Meyer Center Library will allow staff to view the books that are available. To request a book, education staff must use FACTs as usual and indicate the medium needed either electronic or in a hard copy format.

I would like to thank Allen Danganan, the MIS staff and all of the Meyer Center staff for helping to get this project completed, especially the large print and braille departments. In particular, I must acknowledge the hard work of Joseph Iannuzzelli, who performed a great deal of the maintenance to the library.

Please use this link to preview the library: https://cbvi-facts.dhs.state.nj.us/tmclibrary

Independent Living & Clinical Services – Elizabeth DeShields, Coordinator
Independent Living and Project BEST staff gathered together over a course of two days at the Cherry Hill Service Center to participate in training conducted by Kendra Farrow, CVRT from the National Research and Training Center on Blindness and Low Vision located at Mississippi State University.  Kendra addressed several issues that pertained primarily to the Older Blind Population of 55 and older. The topics discussed included:  a review of the 2016 Independent Living Older Blind (ILOB) consumer survey results; instruction for older adults who are vision impaired; addressing the needs of consumers with vision and hearing loss; identifying and utilizing resources; and best practices for serving this population.

For this issue of the Commission Edition we will focus on the review of ILOB survey results, instruction for older adults who are vision impaired and addressing the needs of consumers with vision and hearing loss. Resources and Best Practices will be discussed in an upcoming article.

Review of 2016 Survey Results: The consumer satisfaction survey was mailed to all ILOB consumers with cases closed in 2016.  Mailings were conducted in April and January.  The survey included discipline specific questions on Rehabilitation Teaching, Assistive Technology, Orientation and Mobility Instruction and Eye Health Nursing.  General questions on the overall perception of CBVI and service outcomes were also included.

Survey questions and results:

After receiving instruction from the rehabilitation teacher to use appliances, cook safely, clean or organize my home, do writing tasks, or leisure activities, I am better able to complete these tasks.

91% of respondents either strongly agreed or agreed.

After receiving instruction from an orientation and mobility specialist to use a white cane and travel safely, I am more confident in moving around my community.

          85% of respondents either strongly agreed or agreed

After getting help from the eye health nurse to identify medications, draw insulin, or understand health conditions, I feel more confident about managing my health.

          94% of respondents either strongly agreed or agreed

After receiving help to learn to use a cell phone, tablet or computer, I am able to use it to complete tasks.

          74% of respondents either strongly agreed or agreed

After receiving services, I feel more confident performing activities I had given up because of vision loss.

          74% of respondents either strongly agreed or agreed

*It is important to note that 21% of respondents reported that they had not given up   any activities.

Kendra Farrow described the different learning modalities and the importance of finding out which learning style fits best with the individual consumer. Staff were provided information about the characteristics of adult learners as well as Adult Learning Theory (Andragogy) by Malcolm Knowles. We all had the opportunity to review case studies and apply the learned theories.

Some of the learning characteristics of older individuals are:

•      Self-concept is that of a self-directed individual

•      Adult learners have a wealth of experience and knowledge

•      Orientation to learning moves from subject-centeredness to problem-centeredness

•      Relevance – people want to know why they are learning something

•      Motivation to learn is internal rather than external

In our discussions of dual sensory impairment, we learned that it often increases with age. Additionally, several studies have found linkages between vision and hearing loss meaning that individuals with one impairment are more likely to develop the second impairment.  One study found a link between hearing loss, the decrease of contrast sensitivity and a history of stroke. In older blind program evaluations, we consistently find about 40% reporting hearing loss in addition to vision loss.

These tips for improving verbal communication and working with an interpreter were provided:

•      Annunciate words; speak slowly

•      Face the person; speak louder

•      Reduce background noise

•      Make sure the person is wearing their hearing aid

•      Move to the better ear side or closer to the person

•      Turn on more lights; wear contrasting lipstick

•      Use a pocket talker or chatter box

When working with an interpreter:

•      Plan for more time

•      Ask the individual if they have a preferred interpreter

•      Ask if the interpretation style is visual or tactile

•      Provide information to the interpreter ahead of the appointment

•      Build in a little time to conference with the interpreter before working with the consumer

•      Arrange seating for optimal efficiency

•      Communicate with the consumer, not the interpreter

•      Pause to allow the interpreter to catch up

This training was very informative and well presented.  The topics were extremely relevant.

Joseph Kohn Training Center – Del Basha, Manager
The Joseph Kohn Training Center is pleased to have two new staff members come on board recently. Within the past month, Lerone Walker joined the JKTC as a mobility instructor. Lerone, who holds both the NOMC certification as well as the Teacher of the Visually Impaired certification, has been a great team member. He has years of experience in the fields of mobility and also assistive technology. Lerone has worked for the Louisiana Center for the Blind, the Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind, and The Criss Cole Rehabilitation Center in Texas.

Our other new team member is Christine Hines, who is filling a new role, part-time JKTC Instructional Aide. In this capacity, Christine can assist in the different instructional areas but currently her time has primarily been dedicated to the keyboarding class. Christine holds a MSW, is an appointed member of the Middlesex County Human Services Advisory Council, and is an alumnus of the JKTC program. Her additional assistance has helped to maintain consistency with schedules.

We are pleased to have these two dedicated professionals add to the value and productivity of the JKTC.

While these two individuals join us, we must also announce that two of our interns will soon be leaving the JKTC. Diana Kissi, a social work student pursuing graduate studies at Rutgers, and Yun-Chu Chen, a graduate student in the counseling program also at Rutgers, have been with us for the past several months, working under the capable mentorship of Alejandra Ramos and Ed Kawalec.

On behalf of the JKTC staff, Happy Spring! We look forward to greeting and welcoming you to the Center.

Business Enterprises of New Jersey – Deacon Truesdale, Manager
The Business Enterprises of New Jersey (BENJ) program participants will hold their annual meeting at the Hyatt Hotel in New Brunswick on May 6th.  Each year this meeting presents an opportunity for all the BENJ program participants to gather together, network and hear about current events within the federal Randolph- Sheppard program.  This year some of the vendors on the agenda will be PepsiCo, Tropicana, Naked Juice, and Nestles.

Later that same day, the BENJ program staff will participate in the Employment, Development, Guidance, and Engagement (EDGE) program at the JKTC.

Staff Development – Kenya Whitehurst-Percell
Good News from Staff Development

·        The Department of Human Services (DHS) now provides tuition reimbursement to assist eligible employees to pursue their educational endeavors. This program reimburses state employees for eligible tuition expenses, up to an annual maximum of $2,000 per fiscal year. In order for staff to be considered, they must complete an application which also serves as an agreement to all of the requirements outlined in the tuition reimbursement program guidelines. The application and guidelines can be found on the DHS portal under the Operations (Workforce Development and Training) tab at the top, or use the following link:

https://myportal.dhs.state.nj.us/Operations/Training/SitePages/Home.aspx.

In addition to the application, we ask that all staff also complete the CBVI Professional Development/Training request. Completing this form will help keep your immediate supervisor and CBVI apprised of employees’ aspirations.

·        New to eCATS? The Learning Management System (LMS) has a new free online course to introduce eCATS to new users. Participants will learn how to log into the system, create and change passwords, navigate the desktop, create a timesheet, review benefit leave summaries, and how to request donate leave.

Regional Updates
Southern Region – Jack Thompson, Manager
Submitted by Susan Hickman, EHN: I am very happy to be able to share some delightful feedback from a few consumers who are benefitting from our loaner CCTV program.

Mr. G., a Navy retiree, is normally an upbeat person, yet according to his daughter, he would sometimes go through bouts of sadness and depression. He enjoyed following football teams and “handicapping” to challenge his brain.  As his ARMD progressed, he could no longer see the stats his daughter would print out for him.  He became discouraged and basically gave up his favorite pastime, watching football.  All that changed the day his CCTV was delivered to his residence.  I can still see the joy on Mr. G’s face as he was once again able to see the stats sheet. He stated, “If you come back in 2 weeks, you will find me sitting in this very spot.  I might stink a bit, but I’ll be doing what I like!”   He is now again motivated to watch his beloved football games and enjoy them as before.

Another important matter addressed by the CCTV loaner is that Mr. G. was forced to give over control of his banking when he could no longer read his bank statements.  His adult daughter was glad to hand this back to her dad who can now review his own bank statements and large print checkbook ledger.

Mrs. D, Mrs. B., and Mrs. W. are three charming ladies who each rave about their newfound freedom since receiving their CCTV’s.  Some of the benefits, of which they all speak, are reading letters, greeting cards, bank statements, and seeing family pictures.

Mrs. D. said she no longer feels “isolated” as she reads cards and letters from family and friends and she is practicing her signature, something she had given up doing several years ago.

Mrs. W. longed to read family ancestry findings gathered by her grandchildren.  Aided by her CCTV, she was able to read her father’s military discharge papers.  Seeing her gentle and thoughtful smile as she shared that experience along with some memories of her father is one of those rewarding moments I will not soon forget.

Northern Region – John Reiff, Manager
This month we will celebrate with Solange Curry (SC), her retirement from state service, after three and one-half decades with DYFS, the Department of Higher Education, the Division of Developmental Disabilities, as a classroom teacher and with CBVI, where she has served as a supervisor within both our Education and IL Units.

What can we say about SC? She has earned the opportunity to leap high and far into a new world that will challenge her interests and talents. Please stay in touch Solange. We want to know how you are doing. We hope that you will share your adventures, that those of us who will follow you one day may take advantage of your retirement path finding endeavors.

As for advice that she has to offer us right now, it is first that we never lose our curiosity and second that we value the career experiences we have outside CBVI as they broaden our perspective and ultimately benefit the agency and its employees.

One gentleman who did retire (not from CBVI) and who returned to the work force with CBVI in November of 2013 in order to use his formidable accounting skills is TES employee Ron Cerrito. Ron certifies Purchase Authorizations (P/A) for Freehold-based IL and VR staff, working for both the SSR and NSR. He advised that on 4/12/17, he certified a P/A that brought his total to $2,000,000. Thanks Ron for keeping track and helping us to pay our bills.

New or Noteworthy
The Work of the New Jersey Commission for the Blind

(Excerpted from Testimony to the NJ State Legislature by Lydia Young Hayes)

“I want to make one statement, that the work of the New Jersey Commission for the Blind has only been carried on for about three years. It is nine years since the first call came from New Jersey to Massachusetts to come over into New Jersey and organize state work for the blind.

The leading educators of the blind in this country have always recognized the reciprocal advantages of teaching the blind with the sighted, but it is only in the largest cities that this method is practicable. The simplification and improvement of apparatus and the consequent decrease in the cost of its production have played an important part in the solution of the problem. The education of the blind should be twofold: the individual and his responsibility to the community and the community's understanding of the capabilities of the individual. This can best be done under normal conditions, where the blind and sighted live at home and pursue similar studies and interests. Advancement was made along these lines in New Jersey in 1911 by the passage of a bill requiring each school board, having ten or more blind children in its district, to open a class in connection with its public schools with a special teacher and apparatus. Prior to the passage of this bill at the close of 1910, Dr. Poland organized such a class in Newark, which at present has nine pupils. A year later Jersey City opened another such class with seven pupils. The establishment of these special classes is developing a fine spirit of cooperation between the sighted and the blind, and will do away with the heartbreaks of many who, on their return home from a well-equipped school, find that neither they nor their sighted friends understand conditions.”

(To be continued)

comments

The Last Words
"He's extraordinary.  And you don't have to put an asterisk next to it. He's not extraordinary because he's blind. He's extraordinary because he's extraordinary." – Famous Music Director Ray Chew, who was talking about CBVI student and musician Matthew Whitaker.