[NFBNJ] Exciting News Highlighting The Eclipse On Monday August 21

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 15 12:13:57 UTC 2017

Greetings to all!
Wanted to share the exciting message that highlights the eclipse on Monday
August 21.
Thanks to jane Degenshein for sharing.

Please review and share with others.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

The Soundscape eclipse app for IOS devices is now available in the app
store.

The Eclipse Soundscapes Project app is specially designed so that people who
are blind and visually impaired can share in the awe and wonder of
astronomical events in real time with their sighted peers.

The app is a joint effort between The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
(SAO), NASA’s Heliophysics Education Consortium (HEC), the National Center
for Accessible Media (NCAM), and the National Park Service (NPS). Features
include an interactive “Rumble map”; audio descriptions of key features of
the eclipse; a play-by-play description of the total solar eclipse as it is
happening in the user’s area; and a countdown clock to the next upcoming
eclipse.

The “Rumble Map” gives the user the sensation of “feeling” the Sun during an
eclipse. Our technology translates images of key eclipse features into a
series of unique frequency modulated tones that map out variations in light
and dark as the user explores the image with their fingertips. These tones
are specially designed to make the user’s mobile device shake, or rumble, in
response to the changes.

After the eclipse, the Eclipse Soundscapes app will provide access to a
database of soundscape recordings from U.S. National Parks and other urban
and rural locations so that users can experience how eclipses change the
behavior of different species, including humans. During the next five years,
the app will expand to include other eclipses and astronomical objects of
interest giving people who are blind and visually impaired – and everyone
else – a new way to engage with the universe around them.

Get the app here...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eclipse-soundscapes/id1262152991?mt=8