[NFBNJ] {Spam?} Deadline is Approaching To Apply For A National Scholarship NFB

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 13 21:00:41 UTC 2017

Greetings to all!
Only 45 days until the deadline of March 31 to apply for a national
scholarship.
I have provided information that will hopefully motivate you and others to
apply!
Please review and share the following information posted on the state
website at
www.nfbnj.org/scholarships

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

****

The National Federation of the Blind believes in investing in the future by
supporting the college education of deserving legally blind students.  Our
state
and national
scholarship programs
are the most generous in the country.

Student accepts scholarship award

When a student applies for a national scholarship, this allows the applicant
the possibility of winning a state scholarship. Simply stated, complete one
application and have the possibility of winning two scholarships, national
and or state. To learn more about the NFB National Scholarship and to
download
an application form, please visit
www.nfb.org/scholarships.

Students receive scholarships

National Convention Reflections From National Scholarship Winners Deanna
Greco & Laura Etori

The following is reprinted from the Fall 2016 issue of The Sounding Board.
The 2016 NFB National Scholarship winners from New Jersey reflect on their
experiences
at the national convention.

Deanna Greco

DEANNA GRECO just started her freshman year at The Catholic University of
America. She is a biology premedical student. Here is her story:

Imagine a place where there are 2,500 people using white canes and guide
dogs, a place where the sighted person in the room is in the minority. A
place
where you feel accepted, loved and supported. I found this place at the
National Federation of the Blind’s National Convention. I was fortunate
enough
to be one of the NFB’s 2016 Scholarship Winners.

My past year has been similar to that of other students who are in the
process of transitioning from high school to college. By January 2016, I was
exhausted
from writing countless college
application
essays, going to college interviews and working on maintaining my grade
point average (4.5 GPA). Just like everyone else, I realized that college
would
be expensive, and therefore, I decided to
apply for scholarships.
While looking online, I came across the NFB’s
scholarship program.
>From the time I was diagnosed with cone rod dystrophy at age 8, my mother
always encouraged me to join the NFB. We attended a few meetings with the
New
Jersey chapter, but I never had the desire to be an active member. I didn’t
think that I needed the NFB. I honestly did not consider myself a part of
the
blind community. However, I decided that since I liked a challenge, I would
apply for the NFB scholarship.

In early May, I received a call from one of the scholarship committee
members informing me that I was a scholarship finalist. During this
conversation,
I learned that I would be required to go to the NFB National Convention, and
this filled me with both excitement and nervousness.

I wasn’t anxious about meeting new people; I enjoy that. However, I never
traveled out of state. The idea of getting on a plane and finding
transportation
to the
hotel
intimidated me. However, there are some things in life you have to do, and I
knew that independent travel was one of those things. When I stepped into
the hotel lobby, I became filled with a sense of accomplishment and relief.
As I stood there, taking it all in, I heard the tap tap tap of hundreds of
white canes. At first, this was extremely overwhelming. Yet, when I returned
home a week later, it was strange not
hearing
all those canes. Looking back, I know that winning the scholarship was a
blessing in disguise because it led me to this outstanding group of people.

Convention was a blast! From the moment I entered the hotel, to the second I
left, I was participating in exhilarating activities. Regardless of whether
I was at General Session or out to lunch with one of my mentors, I was
having a delightful time. I knew that successful blind people existed, but I
never
witnessed such a large gathering of blind people in my life. The members of
the NFB are determined, intelligent and, most importantly, compassionate.
Before
convention, I was unaware of the inequality that the blind community faces
in all aspects of life. The fact that people are getting paid less simply
because
they are blind, or having their children taken away because close-minded
individuals say, “How could blind people raise children?” is absurd. These
issues
need to be eradicated, and there is no doubt in my mind that the NFB will do
exactly that.

This fall, I will be starting at The Catholic University of America as a
biology premedical student. Having low vision, I know that I will encounter
hurdles
caused by my lack of vision in laboratory settings. Prior to convention, I
did not know any blind people employed in the science fields that I could
turn
to when I face sight-related difficulties. This changed when I attended the
Science and Engineering Division meeting at the National Convention. At this
gathering, I met several blind people involved in fields such as chemistry
and biology. I gained priceless knowledge about the accommodations that
could
help me achieve success at Catholic University. I also formed friendships
that will last a lifetime. I do not use the word friendship lightly. There
is
a reason I did not use the word “networking.” The reason is that the people
I met at convention are not business contacts, but rather they are family
members
that I know will always have my back.

Before I knew it, it was the last night of convention. I was sitting at the
banquet surrounded by my new family. Between listening to President
Riccobono’s
compelling speech and laughing with the members of the New Jersey affiliate
at my table, the four-hour banquet flew by. As the night came to a close, it
was time for the scholarship ceremony. All of the scholarship winners
received a beautiful print/braille plaque, a certificate for a KNFB Reader
App, and
a $1,000 grant from Dr. Kurzweil. We also received a ChromeBook and $1,000
from Google, and a certificate for an accessible science tool known as
Talking
Lab Quest from Independence Science. In addition to the generous awards
listed above, each winner received varying
scholarship awards.
I received a $3,000 scholarship. I sincerely appreciate every award that I
received that night. Yet, I would not be doing any justice to myself or the
NFB if I did not share which award is closest to my heart. The special award
that I cherish is my Federation family. So regardless of whether you are a
blind individual looking for blind friends or a sighted parent searching for
information on how to get the necessary accommodations for your blind child,
join the NFB. I assure you that the National Federation of the Blind will
embrace you with open arms, you will not be disappointed, nor will you ever
feel
alone.

Laura Etori

LAURA ETORI is attending Rutgers University and pursuing degrees in both
actuarial science and finance. Here is her story:

I love swimming, cooking and baking. I love my family; they are my biggest
fans. I love being happy and most of all, I love the Lord and I am grateful
Him for everything in my life.

I am a Kenyan currently living and studying in New Jersey. I lost my sight
four years ago due to a secondary effect of idiopathic intracranial
hypertension.

I came to New Jersey for school. On the day of my arrival, someone stepped
on my white cane and broke it. Soon after, at my aunt’s house, my cousin and
I immediately investigated where to get a white cane. The first thing that
popped up was “get a free white cane from the NFB.” Well, who doesn’t like
free
things, so I ordered one. My cane arrived soon, and I was back in business.
A week later I received voicemail from NFBNJ Northeast Chapter member Alwin
Glasgow asking how I liked the cane. In a later call, he told me all about
NFB. Having read about NFB years ago, I always wondered if such an
organization
could be real. Alwin told me that, if needed, he would help me the best he
could. We continued to correspond, and this past March I attended my first
Northeast
Chapter meeting. Then I applied for the scholarship, beating the deadline by
a few days, and soon found myself in Florida for the convention.

>From the age of 12, I have always wanted to become an actuary, leading
people to ask whether I loved math. Well, it’s not about loving math; it’s
about
having passion for what I love and for what I want to become. And, yes I
love math. It’s all about commitment and having a vision.

Then I had a familiar feeling, like the one I had when I lost my sight, the
same feeling I had when I left Kenya, and the same feeling I got when I
realized
I was a national scholarship finalist: Uncertainty, along with determination
that there is something I am meant to do. On July 6, the convention was
over,
and all I could remember was the last night’s ringing speech by President
Riccobono about fear. The voice in my head told me, “Fear will hold you
back.”
So I thought of the many things I had feared and how much I feared
uncertainty, which was ironic since my life was filled with uncertainties.
Four years
ago I had not planned to be in Florida at that day and time; I certainly had
never thought I would ever be blind. But now that life had developed that
way, it surely was the best thing to ever happen to me.

Walking into the convention resort proved a big eye-opener. Where in the
world would I ever have had the chance to be welcomed by the noise of a
swarm of
bees. Oh boy! Was I in for a surprise. It wasn’t actually bees, but rather
the noise of thousands of white canes rolling or tapping the tiled floor of
the hotel. I felt a bit flustered. This was my first time I had been around
so many blind and visually impaired people, and I had mixed feelings.

As for orientation to the hotel, let’s just say that experience is the best
teacher. I read and re-read the text description of the hotel and nothing
stuck
in my mind. I eventually learned my way around. I met so many people from
different walks of life and with different stories. The other scholarship
finalists
were so impressive. They were happy and classy people. They had done and
were doing really amazing things. I was most grateful for my mentors. From
Sharon
Maneki I learned that one must have a plan of action: “You cannot just be
flowing with what everyone is doing; have your own goals and have a plan of
action.”
Ever Lee Hairston taught me how to be a believer: “If you decide to do or
get something, believe in yourself and go for it.” John Halverson counseled
that
with time we accrue experience and get good at what we do; we only have to
persist and be consistent. Cassie McKinney taught me the virtue of humility.
At the Imagination Fund table, I watched her listen to and assist every
single person who came to her, even if they just wanted to talk. She was
happy
and graceful throughout. Cindy Bennett taught me to always be at the top of
my game: “Be your best and be the best. Know what you need to know and know
even a little bit more and never fear to look good and fabulous; just be
humble about it and keep it real.” Finally, Brian Miller taught me it’s
never
bad to know something extra. It’s good to be a diversified person and to
improve yourself with different kinds of knowledge and to stay happy.

I thought about all these things and pondered how to use these insights to
encourage change in people’s lives. Honestly, I felt a bit panicky, but I
remembered
that fear will stop me. I decided to rethink the concept of bravery. I
realized it meant accepting people’s differences and individual challenges.
Historically,
I had felt like I did not want to experience anything different and that I
had experienced enough. Now I realized I needed to grow in order to effect
change
and to have an impact on people’s lives. I do not know how I will help
others; I guess that is one of my many challenges to figure out as I
determine what
I am really good at and how best to help others develop their own positive
changes.

Now, each time I meet someone and am asked, “How did you find convention?” I
talk about the importance of continuing to learn, because I believe that was
the whole point of my attending the NFB 2016 convention. I hope we can all
embrace change and let ourselves feel the shifting and evolving of our
mindsets
and lives.

NFB 2017 Scholarship Program

The National Federation of the Blind’s Scholarship Committee is accepting
scholarship applications from November 1, 2016, to March 31, 2017. This
annual
program offers thirty scholarships worth from $3,000 to $12,000 to eligible
students, from high school seniors beginning their freshman year in the fall
semester of 2017, up through graduate students working on their PhD degrees.
These merit scholarships are based on academic excellence, community
service,
and leadership. In addition to the money, each winner will receive
assistance to attend the 2017 NFB annual convention in Orlando, Florida,
held during
the second week of July, providing an excellent opportunity for high-level
networking with active blind persons in many different professions and
occupations.
Go to
www.nfb.org/scholarships for complete rules and requirements.

The Secret to Winning a National Federation of the Blind Scholarship

by Patti S. Gregory-Chang
Reprinted from The Braille Monitor

>From the Editor: Patti Chang is the chairman of one of the most important
committees of the National Federation of the Blind. She and her committee
are
charged with advertising our scholarship program and choosing thirty
students who evidence academic success, leadership, and a demonstrated
commitment
to helping others. Here is Patti’s announcement about the 2017 scholarship
program:

Each July at our national convention the National Federation of the Blind
gives a broad array of scholarships to recognize achievement by blind
scholars.
We offer thirty scholarships, and all are substantial and prestigious enough
to warrant any student’s time to complete and compete. Our $12,000 Kenneth
Jernigan Scholarship is the largest. The NFB Scholarship Program is our
investment in the future of blind people who demonstrate scholastic
aptitude, leadership,
and service. I encourage every blind college student to apply.

I am sometimes asked what the secret is to winning an NFB scholarship. I am
going to tell you the secret. First of all, applicants must meet the
eligibility
requirements to receive a scholarship. All applicants for these scholarships
must be legally blind; must reside in one of our fifty states, the District
of Columbia, or Puerto Rico; must be pursuing or planning to pursue a
full-time postsecondary course of study in a degree program at an accredited
United
States institution in the fall academic year; and, if chosen as a finalist,
must participate in the entire NFB national convention and in all scheduled
scholarship activities.

Many think the key to becoming a winner is a high grade point average.
Others believe it is based on participation in extracurricular activities.
Still
others think it is one’s level of commitment to the NFB. While grade point
average is important because it demonstrates the ability to learn and be
successful
academically, it is not the only attribute that influences the scholarship
committee. Participation in extracurricular activities is important in
portraying
oneself as a well-rounded person; it is not sufficient in itself to justify
a scholarship award. Committed members of the organization recognize the
attributes
that are important to committee members when determining who wins a
scholarship.

The scholarship program is a tremendous tool for us to develop future
leaders of the National Federation of the Blind, but scholarship awards are
not restricted
to members of the organization. The National Federation of the Blind is an
organization dedicated to creating opportunity for all blind people.
Recipients
of NFB scholarships need not be members of the National Federation of the
Blind. Many of our past winners were not even aware of the NFB before they
applied
for our scholarships. When you check the lists of past winners, you will see
that students of all ages and in widely differing fields have won over the
years. The class of 2016 included students entering their freshman year, as
well as older students who were nearly ready to write their PhD
dissertations.
Past winners are working toward credentials for employment in diverse
fields.

There is truly only one way to win an NFB scholarship: that is to apply.
Each November the new, updated scholarship application forms are posted on
the
Web at
www.nfb.org/scholarships,
along with important information about the contest, links to information on
past winners, and a page of frequently asked questions. The application form
for 2017 is already online. It will remain up until March 31. The process
can be initiated with an online application, which we prefer, or students
can
ask for a print application by contacting our scholarship office at
scholarships at nfb.org
or by calling (410) 659-9314, ext. 2415.

A complete application consists of the official application form and a
student essay, plus these supporting documents: student transcripts, at
least one
letter of recommendation, and proof of legal blindness. The student must
also complete an interview with the president of the applicant’s state of
residence
or the state where he or she will be attending school. High school seniors
must also include a copy of the results of their ACT, SAT, or other college
entrance exams.

Unfortunately, some applications are incomplete, so the committee is unable
to consider them fairly. Applicants must ensure that all of the required
information
and supporting documentation have been received by our scholarship office
either online by midnight EST, March 31, or by mail postmarked by March 31.
Students
should carefully consider who can do the best job of writing their letters
of reference. Letters should support the application by being full of facts
and observations that will help the members of the committee see the
applicant as a smart, active student and citizen. Students can write their
essays
using word-processing software. They should remember to use the spell
checker (or a human proofreader) before uploading, printing, or copying and
pasting
it into the online application form.

In an effective essay the applicant will talk about his or her life in a way
that gives the committee insight into him or her. The essay should cover the
ways in which one lives successfully as a blind person and describe one’s
personal goals for the future. Information about positions of leadership is
especially
helpful. Committee members give the essay a great deal of attention.

The NFB scholarship committee is comprised of dedicated, successful blind
people, who will review all applications and select the top thirty
applicants
for the scholarship class of 2017. Note that students submit just one
application to the program; the scholarship committee will choose the thirty
finalists
from all applications received. These thirty scholarship finalists will be
notified of their selection by telephone no later than June 1.

Finally, during the annual convention held July 10 through 15, 2017, in
Orlando, Florida, the scholarship committee will decide which award will be
presented
to each winner. Attending and participating in the entire NFB national
convention is one of the requirements to become an NFB scholarship winner.
Of course
attending the convention is also a significant part of the prize.

The National Federation of the Blind’s national convention is the largest
gathering of blind people to occur anywhere in the world each year, with
2,500
or more people registered. Those chosen as scholarship finalists will have
the opportunity to network with other blind students, to exchange
information
and ideas, and to meet and talk with hundreds of blind people who are
successfully functioning in many occupations and professions. Our past
winners often
comment that the money was quickly spent, but the contacts they made and the
information they gathered at convention have continued to make their lives
richer than they had ever imagined.

Often students apply more than one year before winning a scholarship, so
applicants are encouraged to reapply. The NFB may award three or more
scholarships
to men and women who have already received one Federation scholarship in the
past if their scholarship and leadership merit another award. Individuals
receiving a second NFB national scholarship are recognized as tenBroek
Fellows. The secret, if there is one, to winning an NFB scholarship is to
read carefully
the application on our website, and then provide all of the required
information and supporting documentation before the deadline of March 31.
However,
I actually maintain that there is no secret. The only way to win an NFB
scholarship is to apply.