[NFBNJ] Notes From NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo For February 2017

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 15 15:43:39 UTC 2017

Greetings to all!

Hopefully, we can put aside the shovels, rock salt and boots as we near the
first day of spring.

In the next few weeks, I will be providing material to all on the
distribution list with information pertaining to the Washington Seminar.
In the meantime, please find out who your representative in Congress is in
order to forward informational emails to highlight the issues that the
Washington Seminar members conducted in late January.
You can do a Google search, call your local public library.  Make sure that
you provide your address since there are several Congressional
representatives that overlap certain towns/cities. You can also look up your
Congressional representative by visiting www.house.gov.

In next months notes, we will highlight the BELL Academy with information
for all to share.

Thanks for all you do!

Nfbnj1 at verizon.net
www.nfbnj.org

***

Legislative Issues

The National Federation of the Blind is a powerful voice for advocacy,
opportunity, and equality for blind Americans.  Each year, we travel to
Washington D.C. to meet with our Congressional representatives in order to
educate them on issues of critical importance to the blind of the nation.
We are also hard at work in our home state ensuring that legislation that
benefits blind children and adults is passed.

Join us at the Capitol!

To learn more, please read the legislative issues that are currently being
presented to our representatives in Congress.

In the picture above, back, left to right: Ryan Stevens, NFBNJ Legislative
Coordinator; Congressman Donald Norcross (District 1); and Alice Eaddy,
president of the Deaf-Blind Division of NFBNJ. In front: Vee Gaspa,
president of the NJ Association of Blind Students.

***

Items of Interest
1.    Kevin Sisco’s radio show
2.    Tec Tips, The KNFB Reader School
3.    Eyes Like Mine
4.    Sounding Board Deadline

***

1.    As I continue to support to highlight, feature and promote our members
with achievements and accomplishments, I have forwarded the following
information from Kevin Sisco pertaining to his internet radio show. Please
share with others. The following information is provided by Kevin Sisco.

Kevin's Consulting Live is a show that streams live over the web every
Thursday starting at 3 PM EST.  The show mainly covers the latest in
technology but can cover many topics.  I also search for interesting people
related to the tech field to interview.  I also search for individuals who
may have information on a security threat.  In other words, I like whistle
blowers!  The best part is that this show is also archived.  This means that
if you miss the live broadcast you can download the mp3!

So how do you listen to Kevin's Consulting Live?  Visit:
http://kclive.gbj4.us
Click (or hit enter) on the link for the stream.  You will be taken to a
page with headings.  Get to the audio controls heading and find the play
link.  You can find the archives by going to the archive heading.

Enjoy the show and if you feel you can contribute to the show call me at
973-590-8976. Please give me a week's notice as I handle the booking for the
show.

****

2.    Tec Tips
The KNFBReader online school has over an hour of useful video tutorials on
how to use the App:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW144PTYGib0d3XFZiHS0OKgB5LF-_O1t

****

3.    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media Contact: Krystle Allen, President of Eyes Like Mine, Inc.
Krystle at eyeslikemine.org

All interested women are invited to The Ms. Blind Diva Empowerment Pageant
Information Reception on February 25, 2017 Eyes Like Mine Inc. would like to
invite all interested blind and visually impaired women to an information
session (which we are calling The Information Reception) for the Ms. Blind
Diva Empowerment pageant! The Information Reception is scheduled for
Saturday February 25, 2017 from 11 am-2 p.m. at The Leaders for Life
Headquarters on 84 Clinton Place in Newark, NJ. The mission of the Ms. Blind
Diva Empowerment Pageant is to empower women with vision loss by providing
tools to encourage and cultivate their daily life experience. Pageant
contestants will participate in a series of empowerment workshops occurring
in Northern New Jersey until the day of the pageant itself, May 13, 2017.

Hors’ d'oeuvres and beverages will be served. The Ms. Blind Diva Empowerment
Pageant is open to women 18 years or older who are vision impaired or blind
living in the New Jersey area. For directions and further details please
email info at eyeslikemine.org and eventscoordinator at eyeslikemine.org or call
973 255 6710.

****

4.    the Sounding Board:
The publication of the NFBNJ is the Sounding Board.  The deadline of March
15 to submit articles is approaching.
Please submit articles to Kathy Gabry at specialk38 at aol.com, Mary Jo Partyka
at choirnfb at gmail.com, Barbara Shalit at barbart at tullensound.com, and to Joe
Ruffalo at nfbnj1 at verizon.net.