[NFBNJ] Highlights From PresidentRiccobono's Notebook

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 25 01:02:48 UTC 2017

Greetings to all!
I have pasted several items of interest from President Riccobono's Notebook
for July 24.
Thanks for your continued support to raise expectations to live the life we
want!

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

***
Dear Fellow Federationists,

I am fully energized after a great 2017 national convention. Thank you for
the work each of you did to make it a smooth, energetic, and powerful
convention this year. The number of first-timers was impressive as always,
and I noted a number of leaders helping to make sure our rookies had a great
experience.

This morning I was in Towson, Maryland, for the kick-off of our 2017 NFB
Youth Slam. It is impressive to me that we have a number of Federationists
who grew up in the NFB Youth Slam program now serving as mentors in 2017.
Moreover, we have some of our mentors back again who began working with our
STEM programs back in 2004 when we first started this journey. It is really
inspiring to watch our students become mentors and it gives me great hope
for the plans we have in store for the next five years. Our educational
programs are among the most important things that we do—let's keep building
the pipeline that brings young people into our organization.

I note that we are also in the middle of a number of NFB BELL Academies—many
happening for the first time in certain states. I encourage you to follow
the hashtags #NFBYouthSlam and #NFBBELL to keep up on the milestones being
achieved this summer.

This week is the twenty-seventh anniversary of the Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA). This past Saturday, I participated in an ADA
celebration in Maryland. As Senator Ben Cardin said at that event, "We can
celebrate for the next hour or so and then it is back to work." As you
engage in ADA events across the country, continue to remind people of the
importance of having a National Federation of the Blind and the need for us
to continue emphasizing our advocacy priorities at the local, state, and
national levels. We should be proud of what we have built, but we should
recognize that it continues to thrive because we work on building it every
day.

News:
Links to Speeches:
For those members of your affiliate that were unable to attend convention or
who want to enjoy the convention speeches again, I am sending the links to
the 2017 President Report and the banquet speech, Innovation, Blindness, and
the Emerging Pattern of Thought.

ADA Regulation Update:
The National Federation of the Blind has been working to encourage the
promulgation of ADA Title II and Title III internet regulations. On July 20,
2017, the Office of Management and Budget released the Unified Agenda of
Regulatory and Deregulatory Actions announcing that the Administration was
suspending action on hundreds of regulations, including the ADA Title II and
Title III internet regulations. We are evaluating next steps, and I will
keep you informed on needed advocacy.

USPS Service Issues:

Over the weekend our Oregon affiliate created significant social media
traffic resulting from a member being denied assistance at a post office.
You may recall I wrote about this in the May issue of the Braille Monitor.
If members of your affiliate are experiencing similar problems, and you are
unable to persuade postal officials that the USPS policies do not prohibit
them from assisting blind people, please let me know. We may wish to take
more advanced actions to help break down this barrier for blind people.