[NFBNJ] Spanish committee Minutes June 7 and Agenda August 2 Conference Call 8:00 PM

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 29 02:11:16 UTC 2017

Greetings to all!
Please review and share with others.
See below.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

****
Greetings!

Please review the following minutes from the Spanish Committee's prior
conference call as well as the agenda for the upcoming meeting scheduled for
Wednesday, August 2, 2017, at 8:00 pm. If you know of others that could be
interested in attending the call, please invite them to join us and we will
add them to our database.  Let’s focus on Building the Federation with
courage and determination, working together as a team to achieve our goals
for the Spanish committee!
Rosa Santiago
Chair, Spanish Committee
201 892 6946
rosa.santiago901 at gmail.com

Spanish Committee Minutes for June 7 2017

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey
Spanish committee Conference Call
June 7, 2017
8:00 PM

1. Call to order at 8:09 pm with the following in attendance:
Joe Ruffalo, President, NFBNJ
Rosa Santiago, Chair, Spanish Committee
Dan Facchini, North Jersey Chapter president
Monique Huerera
Jorge Olvarez
Mario Olvarez
Beatrice Oliveti
Maria Rosales
Joslin Santiago
Tony Santiago
Ivis Treho
Martha Webber

1.    The motion to except the minutes was made by Joe ruffalo.
Seconded by Tony Santiago.
Discussion: All voted favorably

2. Overview of the goals, purposes and objectives were highlighted by
Rosa. Joe provided a summary of the affiliates educational and outreach
programs.

Old Business
3. Joe provided the raising expectations philosophy of the NFB. He also
discussed the importance of reading a kernel book story that can be
discussed during conferences.  Many of
these books can be located on the national website at
http://www.nfb.org
In addition, literature featuring and highlighting the organization is in
Spanish at the National Center in Baltimore, Maryland.
Much items, devices and information can be located by calling the NFB at
410 659 9314
and ask to speak to a staff person at the Independence Market.
In upcoming meetings, we will highlight a story for reading and discussion.

4. Newsline was briefly discussed and is a free service that enables the
user to obtain over 400 publications via the phone or computer. This service
also has Many Spanish publications available.
If you don't have this free service, please contact Jane Degenshein,
President of the Senior and Technology Divisions of the NFBNJ and
Coordinator of Newsline
for the affiliate.
Contact Jane Degenshein at:
Phone: 973-736-5785
Email: jdegen16 at comcast.net
Note; in addition, Newsline offers weather updates, grocery and retail
flyers, television listings and outreach to jobs.

5. Mark Ricobono’s Presidential Monthly Message was heard in Spanish. A
follow-up discussion on the highlights of April’s release was considered.
All releases are available on Newsline and on the national website in
English and Spanish.  Joe encourages all to listen to the monthly messages
as the
information provides an overview of national, state, local and personal
information and upcoming events.
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/podcast/presidential-releases-es/pr460_spanish.mp3
After the presidential release, points were discussed about the success that
the NFB has had in passing laws or bills that help further the education and
independence of the blind. You can email the president of NFB to be part of
the legislation team.

New Business
6. First Spotlight member Dan Facchini, president of the Northeast chapter
was selected to join us on our next conference call on August 2, to share
his life experiences as a blind individual.
7. Rosa spoke about the quote and how important it is that the Spanish
committee start setting small goals that can be accomplished.

Round the Phone
The quote on the outset was discussed, and callers were asked to express how
they felt about it. They were also asked to share what goals and objectives
they would like to see accomplished with the Spanish committee.

Rosa thanked Beatrice Olivetti for translating during the Spanish committee
conference call.

Meeting was adjourned at 9:50 PM.

AGENDA FOR CONFERENCE CALL SCHEDULED ON August 2, 2017