[NFBNJ] Notes from NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo, June 2017

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 17 23:16:30 UTC 2017

Greetings to all!

With a few weeks before the national convention, we are planning to participate in the largest and best informed convention of the blind in the country. The national convention will be streamed and therefore, please review pending emails with the information. Suggestion to those not attending the convention and to be a part of the banquet, invite members and family to a members home and watch the stream of the banquet while you enjoy dinner with those that you invited.

Hoping the graduation season, the summer sun and the enjoyment of vacations and the summer cookouts bring you much happiness.

Nfbnj1 at verizon.net

www.nfbnj.org

***

Items of Interest:

1.    White Cane Overview With Links

2.    Fundraising At The National Convention With List Of NFBNJ Items

3.    Agnes Allen’s Book For Review

4.    Department of Labor Job Search Info

5.    National Convention Agenda On Newsline

1. White Cane Overview With Links

I have pasted information we forward to all that receive a cane from our free white cane program.

Please watch the following YouTube videos describing many techniques to use the long white cane carefully and respectfully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV9XFzKo1aE&feature=em-subs_digest-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV9XFzKo1aE&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs

Also watch the following video advertising the NFB’s Free White Cane program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gOGVToMTjo

In addition, the book “The Care and Feeding of the Long White Cane” is available for your reading pleasure. The Care and Feeding of the Long White Cane, written by longtime member Tom Bickford, is a good introductory guide for those unfamiliar with using a long white cane as a mobility aid. This book gives good tips for using a long white cane in various everyday situations. The text is available on our national website at https://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/books/CFCANE/canetc.htm. The book can also be obtained in Braille or print from the Independence Market free of charge through Free Matter for the Blind. To contact the Independence Market, dial 410-659-9314 x2216. Audio copies may be borrowed by NLS (National Library Service for the Blind & Physically Handicapped) patrons from their local library for the blind.

****

2.    Convention Fundraising Announcements:

Convention is right around the corner, and with it come many fundraising announcements. In an effort to make the information more readily available to convention attendees and cut down on the number of listserv emails during the busy convention season. All announcements will be posted at www.nfb.org/national-fundraising-announcements.

The following are the items we will be selling at this years national convention.

8 oz. Napa Wine Glasses in blazoned with the NFB National logo in a stunning black silhouette

Pricing: 1 for $15, 2 for $25

Apple MFI Certified 10 foot Lightning Charging Cable

Most Toughest and Durable 8pin Charging Cord Made for iPhone, iPad, and iPod (White)

Pricing: 1 for $25, 2 for $40

7iper Wireless Mini Bluetooth Speaker

Portable Mushroom Waterproof Stereo Bluetooth Speaker for smartphone or computer

Green, black, yellow

Pricing: 1 for $20, 2 for $35

Whozit Ties with new logo

Red, Cranbury, gray, blue

Pricing: 1 for $20, 2 for $35

****

3.    Agnes Allen book:

The following information was forwarded in late May. I have provided again for those that did not receive.

Shortly, the book will be available on BARD.

Note: Mary kaplan, with the NJ Library in Trenton, stated that it is not yet available however, it was assigned an information letter and number for the book.

Greetings to all!

I am proud to announce that Agnes Allen's book is available at the New Jersey Talking Book And Braille Center.

For the past three years, at the annual banquet of the NFBNJ, we have presented the Agnes Allen Distinguish Service Award to a non member.

I have known Agnes for over 26 years and for each of those years she has provided inspiration, guidance and grace to all she meets.

She has taught Braille to many of our members and her love of life and the joy of her family keeps Agnes living her dreams.

At age 93, Agnes is still teaching her skills to others to realize that raising expectations to live the life you want and to transform dreams into reality should be the goal of all!

Congratulations Agnes!

We thank you for all you have done, are doing and continue to do to change what it means to be blind!

Information follows.

Title of Book:

Life Without Sight; My Journey Into The Worlds Of The Sighted And The Blind

Author: Agnes F. Allen

dbc01887

Copyright 2007

A memoir of a blind woman's road to success in overcoming life's obstacles.

****

4. Department of Labor Job Search Info

The state of NJ Department of Labor and Workforce Development has a search engine called OnRamp that links job seekers with current employment opportunities.

The OnRamp tool is an interactive system that permits job-seekers to regularly update their resume and job searches. The system allows customers to create a profile for employers to review, and it allows them to create multiple job searches – customizing each one by geography, salary, industry or keywords that will attract prospective employers.

Job seekers can register for OnRamp at: http://careerconnections.nj.gov/

****

5. National Convention Agenda On Newsline:

The NFB National Convention is nearly here! The NFB National Convention will be held at the Rosen Shingle Creek Resort in Orlando, Florida from July 10-15, 2017. This year, as always, we have an action-packed agenda of activities for the week available on NFB-NEWSLINE. The agenda is divided into sections so you can quickly skim through the vast list of activities and listen to the ones that interest you. You might want to know when the Diabetes Group and the Blind Musicians groups are meeting, or find your affiliate's meeting room, or to find out in which room you can get a demo of NFB-NEWSLINE or KNFB Reader. Learn what great nighttime activities are planned (like the Host Committee Luau!), find stuff for the kids to do (like the NOPBC Style Show), or know when the Resolutions will be read. There is something for everyone at the NFB Convention - don't miss out on any of the fun!

In addition, we have posted a restaurant guide for restaurants at the Rosen Shingle Creek so you'll have an idea of the many restaurants and eateries in the hotel, as well as the Exhibitors Guide that provides information about the Exhibit Hall and who the vendors are.

You can find the NFB National Convention Agenda, Exhibitor Guide and the Restaurant Guide on the telephone access method by choosing five for Newspapers in Another State off the Main Menu, and then five for National Meetings of Interest to the Print Disabled, and then two for the NFB 2017 Convention Agenda, three for the Exhibitor Guide, and four for the Restaurant Menus. To read the NFB National Convention agenda using NFB-NEWSLINE Mobile, choose Publications, Publication Options, Publication Groups and then National Meetings of Interest to the Print Disabled.