[NFBNJ] NFB: [Brl-monitor] The Braille Monitor, March 2017

Brian Mackey bmackey88 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 16:07:56 UTC 2017

>From the desk of NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo.

Received from Brian Burrow, NFB.

                               BRAILLE MONITOR

Vol. 60, No. 3   March 2017

                             Gary Wunder, Editor

      Distributed by email, in inkprint, in Braille, and on USB flash

drive, by the

      NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

      Mark Riccobono, President

      telephone: (410) 659-9314

      email address: nfb at nfb.org <mailto:nfb at nfb.org>

      website address: http://www.nfb.org

      NFBnet.org: http://www.nfbnet.org

      NFB-NEWSLINE. information: (866) 504-7300

       Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind

                      Follow us on Twitter: @NFB_Voice

            Watch and share our videos: YouTube.com/NationsBlind

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests, and

orders for NFB literature should be sent to the national office. Articles

for the Monitor and letters to the editor may also be sent to the national

office or may be emailed to gwunder at nfb.org <mailto:gwunder at nfb.org> .

Monitor subscriptions cost the Federation  about  forty  dollars  per  year.

Members  are  invited,  and  nonmembers  are   requested,   to   cover   the

subscription cost. Donations should be made payable to  National  Federation

of the Blind and sent to:

      National Federation of the Blind

      200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

      Baltimore, Maryland 21230-4998

    THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE

   CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE

   EXPECTATIONS OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES

    BETWEEN BLIND PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT;

BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT HOLDS YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND-IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR

                                 OURSELVES.

ISSN 0006-8829

) 2017 by the National Federation of the Blind

      Each issue is recorded on a thumb drive (also called a memory stick

or USB flash drive). You can read this audio edition using a computer or a

National Library Service digital player. The NLS machine has two slots-the

familiar book-cartridge slot just above the retractable carrying handle and

a second slot located on the right side near the headphone jack. This

smaller slot is used to play thumb drives. Remove the protective rubber pad

covering this slot and insert the thumb drive. It will insert only in one

position. If you encounter resistance, flip the drive over and try again.

(Note: If the cartridge slot is not empty when you insert the thumb drive,

the digital player will ignore the thumb drive.) Once the thumb drive is

inserted, the player buttons will function as usual for reading digital

materials. If you remove the thumb drive to use the player for cartridges,

when you insert it again, reading should resume at the point you stopped.

      You can transfer the recording of each issue from the thumb drive to

your computer or preserve it on the thumb drive. However, because thumb

drives can be used hundreds of times, we would appreciate their return in

order to stretch our funding. Please use the return envelope enclosed with

the drive when you return the device.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Palm-lined drive leading to front entrance of Rosen Shingle

Creek Resort]

                    Orlando Site of 2017 NFB Convention

      The 2017 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will take

place in Orlando, Florida, July 10 to July 15, at the Rosen Shingle Creek

Resort, 9939 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, Florida 32819-9357. Make your

room reservation as soon as possible with the Shingle Creek staff only.

Call (866) 996-6338.

      The 2017 room rates are singles and doubles, $83; and for triples and

quads $89. In addition to the room rates there will be a tax, which at

present is 12.5 percent. No charge will be made for children under

seventeen in the room with parents as long as no extra bed is requested.

The hotel is accepting reservations now. A $95-per-room deposit is required

to make a reservation. Fifty percent of the deposit will be refunded if

notice is given to the hotel of a reservation cancellation before June 1,

2017. The other 50 percent is not refundable.

      Rooms will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Reservations may be made before June 1, 2017, assuming that rooms are still

available. After that time the hotel will not hold our room block for the

convention. In other words, you should get your reservation in soon.

      All Rosen Shingle Creek guestrooms feature amenities that include

plush Creek Sleeper beds, 40" flat screen TVs, complimentary high-speed

internet service, in-room safes, coffee makers, mini-fridges, and hair

dryers. Guests can also enjoy a swimming pool, fitness center, and on-site

spa. The Rosen Shingle Creek Resort has a number of dining options,

including two award-winning restaurants, and twenty-four-hour-a-day room

service.

      The schedule for the 2017 convention is:

Monday, July 10  Seminar Day

Tuesday, July 11 Registration and Resolutions Day

Wednesday, July 12     Board Meeting and Division Day

Thursday, July 13      Opening Session

Friday, July 14  Business Session

Saturday, July 15      Banquet Day and Adjournment

Vol. 60,  No.  3                                                       March

2017

      Contents

Illustration: The 2017 Presidents Seminar

The 2017 Washington Seminar

by Gary Wunder

Washington Seminar Legislative Agenda of Blind Americans Priorities for the

115th Congress, First Session

Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education (AIM HE) Act

Access Technology Affordability Act

Appropriation to the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically

Handicapped (NLS) for the Purchase of Refreshable Braille Devices

The Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons

Who Are Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled ("Marrakesh

Treaty")

The Future of Refreshable Braille is Refreshing!

by Amy Mason

In Rememberance of June Maurer

by Marc Maurer

A Dream is Born

by Ray McAllister

Stand Up

by Courtney Cole

Community Service Division Works with Habitat for Humanity

by Darian Smith

Across the World

by Matt Jepsen

Dots from Space!: Voices from the Past

by Amy Mason and Anna Kresmer

The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

by Allen Harris

Independence Market Corner

Recipes

Monitor Miniatures

                         The 2017 Presidents Seminar

[PHOTO CAPTION: Anil Lewis, Ron Brown (IN), Fred Schroeder, Denise Valkema

(IL), Carl Jacobsen (NY), and Patrina Pendarvis (right arm) (MS). State

presidents come together to plan how best to improve the quality of life

for blind people throughout the country.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Sharon Maneki (MD), Jim Antonacci (PA), Micah Ranquist

(VT), Everette Bacon (UT), and Mark Riccobono listen to the discussion at

the seminar.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Donald Porterfield (AZ), Pam Allen (LA), Adelmo Vigil (NM),

and Cathy Jackson (KY) consider Ever Lee Hairston's (CA) words.

      Life is about renewal: new ideas, new people, and new leaders. This

is evidenced by the number of new state presidents who serve in the

National Federation of the Blind. To help in the transition to these most

important offices, a seminar was held just prior to the Washington Seminar.

State presidents began assembling on Saturday for a 6 PM dinner that would

begin a series of meetings discussing the history of the Federation, the

present programs we undertake, and what we should do in the future to

remain the most vital force in work with the blind.

      On Saturday and Sunday we met long into the night, and still we were

pressed to touch on all that needed to be addressed. The group discussed

organizational priorities, the way to build and strengthen membership, and

how to create the strong base of financial support that is so necessary to

advancing our programs. State presidents shared their concerns with other

leaders and developed relationships that will serve them well as they go

about problem-solving and engaging in the creative thinking that will

result in stronger and more vital affiliates.

                         The 2017 Washington Seminar

                               by Gary Wunder

[PHOTO CAPTION: Fine weather and a fine crowd came together for this year's

Washington Seminar.]

      With every Washington Seminar we build on a tradition, and even in

the fast-paced, hard-working, and politically volatile world of the United

States capital, inevitably turnover occurs, and each visit we make adds to

our name recognition, face recognition, and credibility. This year the

weather was wonderful for our gathering, but the Congress's institutional

memory found us starting in-person meetings with a congressman or senator

saying, "You were here last year during the big blizzard, weren't you? I

think you even made it back here before I did. We were amazed that with the

town shut down you people still showed up."

      What some refer to as the Midwinter Convention of the National

Federation of the Blind began on Sunday with a job fair for those seeking

employment and a meeting of the student division. In this latter meeting

students discussed the challenges in getting a higher education, and talked

about when individual effort could resolve the problem, and when collective

action was necessary to bring about the use of accessible hardware,

software, and other aspects of campus life.

[PHOTO CAPTION: It was standing-room only at the Great Gathering-In this

year.]

      When the gavel fell at 5 PM, ushering in the Great Gathering-In

meeting which is traditional at the Washington Seminar, President Riccobono

wasted no time in welcoming our members to Washington, DC, and explaining

the issues that had caused us to travel from throughout the country to

change the lives of the blind. Here is what he said:

            Fellow Federationists: Change has once again swept America-

      promises have been made, mandates are being claimed, and deals are

      being brokered. And, depending on your point of view, greater hope or

      uncertainty exists. Regardless of the promises, mandates, and deals,

      there is one great certainty that again expresses itself in this room

      tonight and on Capitol Hill this week:  the National Federation of the

      Blind is on the watch. The blind stand self-determined to ensure that

      our equal participation will be part of the promise. The blind bring a

      mandate that blindness is not the characteristic that defines us or

      our future. The blind say that every deal must raise expectations for

      the blind because low expectations create obstacles between blind

      people and our dreams. We can live the life we want, and Washington

      will not hold us back. We bring our hope, love, and determination to

      Republicans and Democrats, freshman members and longtime veterans in

      Congress. Our collective voice offers our authentic experience on any

      topic affecting blind people, and we come with our own agenda for

      change.

            Now is the time for all great institutions of higher education

      to knock down the artificial barriers and make their educational

      technologies accessible. We are tired of having our ability to

      overcome inaccessible technologies tested rather than our competency

      in science, math, history, psychology, literature, art, or any number

      of other subjects we pursue. We have studied politics, and we know

      that when people come together with a unified voice, change is

      possible.

            From our seventy-six years of field experience as an organized

      movement of blind people, we know that when we resolve to tackle a

      problem, nothing will stand in our way. To the schools that continue

      to hold us back, we say: don't deny, aim high; don't deny, aim high;

      don't deny, aim high.

             We seek to participate fully in our communities in play and in

      work. We strive to have good jobs and, believe it or not, pay taxes.

      In order to have those opportunities to integrate fully into society,

      we need access to information in a nonvisual manner. We need to buy

      the accessible technology that will allow us to utilize our skills and

      talents fully for the betterment of our communities, and for our

      efforts to empower ourselves, we seek a tax credit when we spend our

      own dollars to buy the expensive technologies required to access

      information-not a handout but a step-up on the staircase of

      independence and equality. We seek not to avoid taxes but to get

      ourselves in a position to pay more of them. Give us a fair chance to

      get the technology needed to compete on terms of equality, and watch

      us give back to our nation as we pursue the American dream.

            We seek to equip all blind people with knowledge by giving them

      greater access to the most fundamental tool for reading and writing-

      Braille. We have one national library that distributes accessible

      content in Braille for our use, the National Library Service for the

      Blind and Physically Handicapped, and last year we helped change the

      Pratt-Smoot Act in order to authorize the library to distribute

      devices that would allow Braille to be read with refreshable displays.

      Now we seek the funds required to establish a national program so that

      no blind person will be required to live in the twenty-first century

      without Braille under his or her fingers. Braille is knowledge, and

      knowledge is power. Let us power the greatest revolution and literacy

      for the blind by establishing the expectation that all blind people

      will read.

            And finally, we seek to open up the borders of knowledge by

      creating the systems to share accessible materials around the world.

      For far too long the volumes of accessible materials have been locked

      away for only a select few to access. To the protectors of the world's

      knowledge in accessible form, we say "Unlock our books, and set the

      knowledge free."

            This week the Marrakesh Express has come to Capitol Hill, and

      the blind have a ticket to read. Because the National Federation of

      the Blind was a key player in getting this historic Marrakesh Treaty

      established, it is now time for the United States Senate to ratify the

      treaty for our own country and give us access to the accessible

      materials around the world. We seek knowledge; we seek Braille; we

      seek the opportunities to secure the technologies we need, and we seek

      equality in our educational system. These are the promises we seek;

      this is the mandate we carry; and we intend to broker the deal for all

      blind Americans. That is why the National Federation of the Blind has

      come, and that is the purpose of our Washington Seminar.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Congressman Phil Roe addresses the Great Gathering-In.]

      After a rousing cheer for the statement of our commitment and the

issues we would take to Capitol Hill, President Riccobono introduced the

Honorable Phil Roe representing the First Congressional District of

Tennessee. In his fifth term as a congressman he serves as chairman of the

House Committee on Veterans Affairs and is a member on the House Education

and Workforce Committee. Congressman Roe comes to the House of

Representatives after a distinguished career as a pediatrician, who has

delivered nearly five thousand babies. So, when we went to Capitol Hill

looking for someone who could deliver on the promises contained in the AIM

HE (Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education) Act, it was no

accident that we asked for the help of Dr. Roe.

      This distinguished member of Congress began by thanking us for our

invitation and saying that good invitations to speak are few and far

between given the poor reputation Congress enjoys. He said that he told the

Speaker of the House that there were only three things that polled worse

than the Congress: Lindsay Lohan, meth labs, and North Korea.

      Dr. Roe said that it is a credit to the National Federation of the

Blind that we have worked to get such stakeholder involvement in the AIM HE

legislation he is sponsoring. He wishes to commend us for helping to bring

on board the Software Industry Information Association, the Association of

American Publishers, EDUCAUSE, and the American Council on Education (ACE).

He believes that it is through the cooperative work of all of these

organizations that we have developed a common sense, bipartisan piece of

legislation that has a good chance of passage in this Congress.

      Dr. Roe said that his interest in our issues came from what he

learned about blindness from his mother. She lost her sight later in life,

and as her only child, he was responsible for most of her care. He said

that when he came to Congress and was greeted by our proposals, he would

think about them, go home at night, turn off the lights in his small 800-

foot-condominium, and challenge himself to learn to move about

independently. The strong conviction he feels for the AIM HE Act is the

result of the importance of education in his life and the brief attempts at

orienting to a new and different situation that convinced him that

blindness can mean very different things depending on the opportunity one

is given. The country he represents wants the best she can get for all of

her people, and he is determined to see that the AIM HE Act results in

greater education, employment, and quality of life for blind Americans. His

remarks, given their thoughtfulness, sincerity, and enthusiasm, were met

with tremendous applause by the crowd, and he said he was looking forward

to seeing all of us on Capitol Hill.

      President Riccobono presented the Great Gathering-In with the summary

of legal cases with which we have recently been involved. He talked about a

twelve-year-old girl who was once thought to be incapable of benefiting

from instruction in reading and writing but who now has Braille as her

primary method for reading and writing in the Individualized Education Plan

that bears her name. The President discussed the recent release of

regulations regarding the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act, details of

which will be found in the April issue.

      More and more in the public environment we are finding ourselves

confronted with kiosks, and far too many of them have no nonvisual means

one can use to access them. We find them in health facilities, dining, and

grocery stores, just to mention a few. Seldom do we find any of these that

are accessible, but this will soon be different as a result of the National

Federation of the Blind. The kiosks placed in public locations by Pursuant

Health will be accessible. This agreement was signed with Pursuant, the

National Federation of the Blind, and the attorney general for the

Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The signing took place on the twenty-sixth

anniversary of the signing of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

      In the week prior to the Washington Seminar, we reached an agreement

with New York City's LinkNYC program, which has taken over thousands of no

longer needed telephone booths and placed kiosks in them. Based on our

agreement, these will be accessible. The only thing not covered in the

agreement between New York City and the National Federation of the Blind is

where Superman will go to change into his suit.

      Tackling the inaccessibility of university programs, services, and

equipment, in August the National Federation of the Blind settled with

Wichita State University, requiring that the university procure only

devices that are accessible, and then ensuring that those who can benefit

by using them are given the instruction necessary to do it.

      On a similar note, two years ago the Washington Seminar heard from

Aleeha Dudley. Because Aleeha hung tough and because she had an ally in

this organization, in October 2016 we announced, along with the United

States Department of Justice, the gold standard for access to technology in

instructional materials in universities, a settlement and consent decree

that now should be the roadmap for every university in this country.

Because of Aleeha's tenacity and the commitment of the Federation, there is

good news to report in her case, and it will be found in the April issue of

this publication.

      After briefly covering other activities, President Riccobono

introduced two dignitaries in the audience. They were Karen Keninger, the

director of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically

Handicapped, and Diane McGeorge, the coordinator of logistics for the

Washington Seminar for more than three decades. She talked about the

changes since the first seminar she coordinated: the way we keep records,

the room we use to coordinate activity, the hotel now taking reservations,

and the large crowds which are routinely a part of our annual event. But

not everything is about change, and the peanut butter pie that has been on

the menu for lo these four decades has once again made its appearance for

the Washington Seminar.

      Some traditions are longer lived than others, but it is amazing how

many of them revolve around food. Shawn Calloway, the president of the

National Federation of the Blind of the District of Columbia, announced

that, after a two-year hiatus, the provision of donuts for those going to

Capitol Hill would take place on Tuesday morning in the lobby of the hotel.

These are provided courtesy of the National Federation of the Blind of the

District of Columbia. He went on to say, "Two years ago we ran out. Now,

President Riccobono, Anil Lewis, Pam Allen, and Gary Wunder: they were the

reason we ran out. This is a warning for all of you to get there early

tomorrow morning."

      President Riccobono's response was, "See, that's what I get for going

down there to hand out doughnuts."

      On other matters, President Callaway thanked those who attended the

networking and professional development meetings held on the previous day.

He thanked members of the Virginia affiliate for helping to put the events

together, and he also congratulated those who put together and attended the

job fair held as one of the concurrent sessions that took place before the

Great Gathering-In meeting.

      Chris Danielsen, the director of public relations for the National

Federation of the Blind, reminded us that our job was not only to go to

Capitol Hill but to take our message to our fellow countrymen and women.

One effective way to do this is through the use of social media, and he

talked about how all of us could help in this effort. Whether we were

members with shoe leather on the Hill or members at home wanting to help,

all of us could have a role in seeing that what was happening at the

Washington Seminar was widely posted and ensure that our issues were ones

which trended on Twitter.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Immediate Past President Maurer recalls previous trips to

Capitol Hill.]

      Immediate Past President Maurer was introduced and began by asking

Jim Gashel if he remembered the first significant gathering on Capitol Hill

that began the convening of the Washington Seminar. They agreed that it

happened in October 1973, that the event gathered lots of press and

Congressional attention because it was new to have lots of blind men and

women running around on Capitol Hill, but that all of that attention came

to a screeching halt with the resignation of the Vice President of the

United States, Spiro T. Agnew. As significant as this day in history would

turn out to be for the country, Dr. Maurer no doubt understated his

feelings and those of others who were present at the time by commenting

that the shift in attention was "a pain in the neck." He observed that one

thing that has not changed about the National Federation of the Blind since

that beginning in 1973 is that, when we want something, we either build it

ourselves or see that it gets built. This is true not only of products but

also of programs, and he went on to describe our recent hosting of the

meeting of the World Blind Union, an activity which was immensely helpful

for us in showing to the world just what an organization of blind people

can do to make a change in the world in which we live.

[PHOTO CAPTION: World Blind Union President Fred Schroeder]

      Fred Schroeder, the newly elected president of the World Blind Union,

came to talk about how changes made here in the United States will affect

millions of blind people around the world. The passage of our AIM HE Act

won't just make things better for students within the borders of this

country. The existence of this law in our country will be seen as a beacon

by others, will provide a precedent they can use in crafting their own

laws, and will give them encouragement that, through their own self-

organization, they can raise the bar for education and employment in their

countries. The passage of this act will also demonstrate for people of

other countries that blind people are worth educating, and that's really

what it's all about. You don't educate children unless you think there is a

reason to educate them. You don't worry about the unemployment of blind

people unless you believe that blind people can and should be competitively

employed.

      There is significant synergy that exists between our work and the

work of the World Blind Union. One of President Schroeder's next activities

is to travel to Geneva with the purpose of defeating a proposal in some

European legislation that would allow the driver of a low-sound emitting

vehicle to turn off that sound if he or she judged it unnecessary.

Interestingly that switch has been called a kill switch, and Dr.

Schroeder's goal is to see that it is removed from regulations being

considered abroad. We are also working together on the Marrakesh Treaty,

because the need for information transcends borders, and its provisions

help blind people no matter where in the world they may live. He summed up

his comments by saying that our most important objective is to build the

National Federation of the Blind, for this will be the single most

important thing we can do to help the blind of the United States of America

and the world.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Anil Lewis, executive director, NFB Jernigan Institute]

      Anil Lewis came to the podium to talk about a new program being

created by the organization. Its acronym is BUILD, and it stands for Blind

Users Innovating and Leading Design. The goal of this team will be to tell

developers what we need, what works, and what doesn't. For information

about how to become a part of the BUILD team, contact Anil by writing to

him at alewis at nfb.org <mailto:alewis at nfb.org> .

      For those who are interested in helping in the effort but believe

they are not yet technically able to do so, Anil related a story about a

woman calling to offer her help. He gave her the website she could use to

fill out the form for volunteering, but she said she didn't think she had

the skills to fill it out. He took her name and contact information, put

her in touch with her affiliate president for further training, and fully

expects to see her as an active participant on the team once she has

received the training she needs. Again, we take people where they are, help

them get to where they want to be, and benefit from their contributions as

they benefit by becoming a contributor.

      Again this year we are conducting our summer intern program, and

students who are willing to spend a good bit of their summer working at the

Jernigan Institute should contact Anil Lewis at the address above. The

internship provides a tremendous opportunity to get to know the workings of

the Federation, to meet many of the people who are involved in making

things happen nationally, and to grow to be one of them. For more

information about the National Federation of the Blind 2017 Summer

Internship Program go to <https://nfb.org/blog/vonb-blog/national-

federation-blind-2017-summer-internship-program>.

      In 2017 we will once again be holding the National Federation of the

Blind Youth Slam. In July we will bring one hundred young people from

across the country to participate in the most dynamic STEM program of its

kind for people who are blind. More information will soon follow on our

mailing lists and in the pages of this magazine.

      One of the most important things we do is advocate for the rights of

blind parents, and the program through which we undertake most of this

activity is the Blind Parents Initiative. We need to capture experiences of

successful blind parents through video, audio, and written presentations.

Those interested in making a contribution to the project should contact

Melissa Riccobono by writing to parenting at nfb.org <mailto:parenting at nfb.org>
. We must also work to

adopt model state legislation that will remove the presumption in too many

state laws that to be blind is necessarily an indicator that warrants

greater watchfulness on the part of agencies charged with child welfare. We

must remove the barriers that each blind parent must overcome in convincing

child welfare authorities that they are capable, competent, and caring

parents who are able to take care of the children they bring into the

world.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Parnell Diggs, director of government affairs]

      Parnell Diggs reported that we are now working on a case in Illinois

in which a blind infant was removed from its parents because hospital

authorities judged that the blind mother would be unable to determine when

her child's feeding bottle was empty or when the child was wet and needed

changing. The removal was also based on the concern that she would not be

able to safely lift her child from a crib, her own mobility being suspect

because she cannot see. Over and over again we are faced with the

assumption that when the majority uses their sense of sight to accomplish a

task, the absence of sight must mean that task cannot be safely

accomplished without it. Our life experience denies this. We must share our

reality and see that the full force of the law is brought to protect blind

people and our children.

      President Riccobono reminded us that preregistration for the

convention begins in March, that the convention will be held at the Rosen

Shingle Creek in Orlando, and that details about the upcoming convention

can be found in each issue of the Braille Monitor. The convention will be

held from July 10 through July 15, and the President encourages us to come

and bring ten or fifteen of our closest friends.

      John Pari, executive director for advocacy and policy, took the floor

to introduce members of the government affairs team who discussed each of

the issues we would take to Capitol Hill. The remarks they made are covered

in the fact sheets which appear immediately following this article.

      John Pari was followed to the microphone by Scott LaBarre to discuss

our Preauthorized Contribution Plan. Currently our members are giving over

half a million dollars a year, but the ever-increasing number of programs

we sponsor requires that we do even better. We now have three affiliates

giving over $2,000 a month, and it is our goal to reach annualized giving

of at least $600,000 by the end of the year.

      With the adjournment of the Great Gathering-In meeting, members went

off to find food, organize in caucuses, and role-play for the legislative

discussions that would follow. The National Association of Blind Students

hosted a fantastic get-together complete with hospitality, music, and

delicious desserts.

      Being as good as its word, the NFB of the District of Columbia did

provide donuts for those heading for Capitol Hill, and although this writer

cannot speak to the behavior of President Riccobono, Pam Allen, or Anil

Lewis, he can say with confidence that he left the doughnut table with only

one round tasty treat in his hand. His protest that "No one can eat just

one," was ignored as people filed through the line, grabbed a napkin and

their own sweet morsel, and filed off to Capitol Hill to begin a long day's

work.

[PHOTO CAPTION: A crowd gathered to listen to the student rally to support

the passage of the AIM HE Act.]

[PHOTO CAPTION: President of the National Association of Blind Students

Kathryn Webster was among those who spoke passionately about the challenges

facing blind students.]

      At noon on Tuesday many of us assembled in the upper Senate Park for

a student rally to support the passage of the AIM HE Act. Twenty-seven

students addressed the gathering, and whether their stories represented the

gaining of a 4.0 grade point average or struggles that sometimes led to

failure and having to regroup to try again, all of them had one thing in

common: the biggest challenge in higher education is not learning the

material that others are expected to learn; the biggest challenge is using

the technology that is supposed to make learning easier but which sometimes

makes it almost impossible. Our class participation, our papers, our test

results, and our grades must reflect what we know about the subject matter

being taught, not how skillfully we are able to work around inaccessible

technology. Over and over again we challenge the schools: aim high, don't

deny; aim high, don't deny; aim high, don't deny.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Senator Jon Tester]

      At the conclusion of the student rally we returned to Capitol Hill to

keep appointments, meet with our congressmen and their staff, and gather

support for the four major pieces of legislation that constitute our 2017

legislative agenda. At 5 o'clock many of us gathered in Senate Room G50 for

our second annual Congressional Reception. We were joined by six Senators

and ten Representatives, each of whom made brief and moving remarks.

Senator Jon Tester was the first to speak, and Federationists will be

familiar with his work on our behalf to see that blind veterans have the

right to travel on space available aircraft. The senator noted that we are

in a time of change, that for some of us it brings about a time of

uncertainty and for others a time of challenge. Regardless how we feel

about the change that is afoot, we must see that it is positive and that it

reflects what we need. He says that we bring a message that all parties

should be able to get behind, and he offers his close working relationship

with Senator Heller as evidence that this kind of work can and will take

place in the current Congress.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Michael Ausbun, Kimie Beverly, and Senator Dean Heller]

      Senator Dean Heller addressed the crowd and said that meeting with

the National Federation of the Blind was one of the highlights of his

senatorial year. He said that many people who walk through his door do so

as representatives for some group or other, but he knows that when he meets

with the National Federation of the Blind that we are in Washington, DC,

because we are an organization of the blind who speak for ourselves. He

says that he knows our work involves seeing that we are not defined by one

characteristic and that we are given every opportunity to participate fully

in our communities. He believes that every American, regardless of their

circumstance, should have access to quality jobs, and as part of the Senate

Finance Committee he vows to be an important part of the dialogue to see

that the opportunity for those jobs and the jobs themselves materialize for

people who are blind. At the same time he will continue to work closely

with us to see that blind veterans are able to take advantage of the space

available provisions that are offered to other former members of our armed

forces.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Congressman Gregg Harper]

      The next gentleman to approach the podium has the distinction of

being at both of our Congressional rallies, the one held in 2015, and this

one in 2017. The presenter was Congressman Gregg Harper. He has been the

principal sponsor of the Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful

Employment Act we have been supporting and which will again be introduced

after some minor changes that have been suggested by the Congressman. He

stressed that one of the reasons for the effectiveness of the National

Federation of the Blind is that we realize success on Capitol Hill depends

on building relationships. This not only means relationships with members

of Congress but also with members of their staffs. Often a staff member

will come to know more about the specifics of an issue than his or her

boss, and it is because of the judgment and expertise of these staff

members that many members of Congress decide whether they will support a

piece of legislation and how much energy they will put into seeing to its

passage. As important as our Washington visits are, it is essential that we

get to know Congressional staff at the local level, for they too have

tremendous influence over providing advice about how to best shepherd our

legislation through the halls of Congress and onto the desk of the

President.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Fred Schroeder poses with Representative A. Donald

McEachin]

      Representative Donald McEachin is a freshman representative from the

Commonwealth of Virginia who brings a long background of service in the

senate of Virginia and is excited to learn about the issues facing the

blind which require federal action. He says that although he and his staff

have a lot to learn, the door is always open, and he will always be

attentive to the needs and concerns of blind people.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Congressman Tom Rice]

      Congressman Tom Rice of South Carolina came to address the crowd, and

he is one of only a few representatives who has the distinction of

supporting each and every proposal currently advanced by the National

Federation of the Blind. Our own Parnell Diggs ran for the position that

Congressman Rice now occupies, but both agree that they are united by a

strong bond, that bond being the commitment to see that the needs of South

Carolinians, and indeed the needs of all Americans, are uppermost on their

agenda. Congressman Rice says that in Parnell Diggs we have a man who is

brilliant, articulate, and persuasive, that the Congressman is honored to

work with him, and that Parnell will always have the ear of the Congressman

and his staff.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Senator John Boozman shakes hands with a Federationist from

his home state of Arkansas.]

      Senator Boozman of Arkansas was the next to take the microphone, and

he said how much he admired the blind of the nation coming to Capitol Hill,

especially those from Arkansas. He says that our presence on the Hill is

far more important than any number of people we might send to speak for us,

and he values those members of the National Federation of the Blind of

Arkansas who work so diligently to keep him informed.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Congressman David Young pledges to sponsor the Access

Technology Affordability Act.]

      Congressman David Young of Iowa was the next person to be introduced

by President Riccobono, and readers of the Braille Monitor will remember

that representative Young visited the Jernigan Institute in April of last

year at the instigation of Jim and Sharon Omvig, who told him that there

was nothing more important he could do for the blind than to see the

programs and activities of our organization. He said that as a result of a

meeting held with the Iowa delegation early in the afternoon, he agreed to

sponsor the Access Technology Affordability Act. He agreed this would be

handled as a bipartisan issue and commended us on bringing concerns that

should easily garner bipartisan support in the Congress.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Jim and Susan Gashel, Congressman Gus Bilirakis, and Mark

Riccobono pose together.]

      From Florida we welcomed our longtime friend, Congressman Gus

Bilirakis. He began by saying that we could count him in as a cosponsor on

the Access Technology Affordability Act. He thinks that nothing is more

important than increasing the educational and economic opportunities for

blind people, and he looks forward to being closely allied with us in

making this happen.

      President Riccobono acknowledged the Alliance of Automobile

Manufacturers for their help in passing the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement

Act and for their generosity in helping to sponsor this congressional

reception. No doubt our work in the future will involve insuring the

accessibility of autonomous automobiles, technology available in the near

future that will help to significantly reduce one of the major limitations

of blindness in our society.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Senator Bob Casey]

      Senator Bob Casey came to offer his comments to the group, and in

addition to endorsing the positive proposals that we have advanced, he said

it was also important to make sure that we do not lose the significant

gains we have made over the last twenty-five years. While it is always

important to fight for necessary change, it is also imperative to fight

against those who would reverse advances already made in this country, and

he pledged to stand as an ally to defend the laws and the programs that we

count on today.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Representative French Hill]

      Our last congressional speaker of the evening was Representative

French Hill from Arkansas. Representative Hill worked in the administration

of Former President George H. W. Bush and witnessed the passage of the

Americans with Disabilities Act and the changes it has brought about. He

pledges to stand strong to see that these are not eroded. He thanked us for

taking the time to come, for visiting in his office, and for letting him

share with us the pride he feels in representing the citizens of Little

Rock and Arkansas.

      When the rally ended at 7 PM, there was quite some congestion at the

Capitol as taxis, cars, and vans assembled to get people back to the hotel.

      On Wednesday we again took to Capitol Hill and at the end of the day

assembled for our traditional 6 PM debriefing. Many of those reporting

believe that their congressmen and senators will sign on to our legislative

proposals, and there was real excitement in the air at what we had done and

what we would continue to do after our stay on the Hill. On Thursday we

finished our meetings with members of Congress, and the two major airports

serving the District of Columbia were once again filled with the clicking

of claws and the tapping of canes as we headed home to follow-up on the

seeds we had planted on the Hill. Our work is far from over, but we

understand what needs to be done, have the commitment to do it, and have

promised ourselves not to stop until the job is done. This is what the

Congress knows about us; this is why they respect us; and this is why, no

matter the administration, the Congress, or the political mood in the

country, we continue to receive support for the good we are intent on

doing. We are not tied to any political party or ideology. We go where the

needs of blind people take us, and we engage to meet those needs with open

minds, strong hearts, and the resolve that comes from constantly seeking to

be the fully participating citizens we are intended by our Creator to be.

                                 ----------

Washington Seminar Legislative Agenda of Blind Americans Priorities for the

                        115th Congress, First Session

      The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and

friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every

day we work together to help blind people live the lives we want.

The Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education (AIM HE) Act

      Electronic instructional materials have replaced traditional methods

of learning in postsecondary education, but the overwhelming majority of

ebooks, courseware, web content, and other technologies are inaccessible to

students with print disabilities. The law requires equal access in the

classroom but fails to provide direction to schools for the way it applies

to technology. AIM HE creates voluntary accessibility guidelines for

educational technology to improve blind students' access to course

material, stimulate the market, and reduce litigation for schools.

The Access Technology Affordability Act

      Currently, blind Americans rely on scarce sources of funding to

acquire access technology. By providing a refundable tax credit for

qualifying access technology purchases, Congress can stimulate individual

procurement of access technology and promote affordability of these tools

for blind Americans.

Appropriation to the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically

Handicapped (NLS) for the Purchase of Refreshable Braille Devices

      Established in 1931, the NLS provides its patrons with accessible

format copies of printed works. With the latest innovations in refreshable

Braille, it is now easier than ever before to put Braille into the hands of

more blind people. A one-time appropriation to the NLS will save money and

lead to the proliferation of critically needed Braille material for blind

Americans.

The Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons

Who Are Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled

      Despite the ability to convert print books into accessible formats

like Braille, large print, audio, and digital copies, millions of blind and

otherwise print-disabled Americans are excluded from accessing 95 percent

of published works. The Marrakesh Treaty calls for contracting parties to

provide, in their national copyright laws, for a limitation or exception

that allows for the reproduction, distribution, and cross-border exchange

of accessible works.

      These priorities will remove obstacles to employment, education, and

access to published works. We urge Congress to support our legislative

initiatives.

                                 ----------

     Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education (AIM HE) Act

  Until a market-driven solution for accessible instructional materials is

  achieved, blind college students will be denied access to critical course

                                  content.

      Technology has fundamentally changed the education system. The scope

of instructional materials used at institutions of higher education has

expanded. Curricular content comes in digital books, PDFs, webpages, etc.,

and most of this content is delivered through digital databases, learning

management systems, and applications. The print world is inherently

inaccessible to students with disabilities, but technology offers the

opportunity to expand the circle of participation. Studies have found that,

of the 6.5 million students with disabilities in grades K-12, the number

who go on to pursue postsecondary education is growing.[1]

      Blind students are facing insurmountable barriers to

education. Instead of fulfilling the promise of equal access, technology

has created more problems than the print world ever did. Data show that

students with disabilities face a variety of challenges, including

matriculation and college completion failure,[2] solely because, in the

absence of clear accessibility guidelines, colleges and universities are

sticking with the ad-hoc accommodations model.[3] Currently, schools deploy

inaccessible technology and then modify another version for blind students,

usually weeks or even months into class, creating a "separate-but-equal"

landscape with nearly impenetrable barriers. With only an 18 percent

employment rate, compared to 65 percent among people without

disabilities,[4] students with disabilities should not be denied access by

the innovations that could have ensured full participation.

      Institutions of higher education need help to identify accessible

material and comply with nondiscrimination laws. Section 504 of the

Rehabilitation Act and Titles II and III of the Americans with Disabilities

Act require schools to provide equal access, and in 2010 the US Departments

of Justice and Education clarified that the use of inaccessible technology

is prohibited under these laws.[5] In the six years since, over a dozen

institutions have faced legal action for using inaccessible

technology,[6] and complaints are on the rise. Most litigation ends with a

commitment from the school to embrace accessibility, but that commitment

does little in a vast, uncoordinated higher education market.[7]

      Accessibility solutions are available, but guidelines are sorely

needed to stimulate the market. The Accessible Instructional Materials in

Higher Education Act will bring together people with disabilities, the

higher education, publishing, and tech developing and manufacturing

communities to develop a stakeholder-driven solution to the issue of

inaccessible instructional materials. With input from all relevant

stakeholder communities,[8] mainstream accessible instructional materials

can be achieved, benefiting both institutions of higher education and the

students with disabilities they aim to serve.

Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education Act:

      Develops accessibility guidelines for instructional materials used in

postsecondary education. A purpose-based commission is tasked with

developing accessibility criteria for instructional materials and the

delivery systems/technologies used to access those materials. Additionally,

the commission is tasked with developing an annotated list of existing

national and international standards so that schools and developers can

identify what makes a product usable by the blind.

      Provides incentive for institutions of higher education to follow the

guidelines. Institutions of higher education that use only technology that

conforms with the guidelines will be deemed in compliance with the

provisions of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and Titles II and III

of the Americans with Disabilities Act that pertain to schools' use of

technology. For those instances in which accessible technology is simply

not yet available, instances that will continue to diminish in frequency as

accessible instructional materials become more mainstream, there is a

limited safe harbor protection for institutions that otherwise adhere to

existing disability law as well as some additional requirements as

described in the AIM HE Act.

      Offers flexibility for schools while reiterating that pre-existing

obligations still apply. Colleges and universities are permitted to use

material that does not conform to the guidelines as long as equal access

laws are still honored. Conformity with the AIM HE guidelines is only one

path to compliance; schools can pursue a different path but will forfeit

the safe harbor legal protection.

                REMOVE BARRIERS TO EQUALITY IN THE CLASSROOM.

  Cosponsor the Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education Act.

To cosponsor in the House of Representatives, contact:

Otto Katt, Legislative Fellow, Congressman Phil Roe (R-TN)

Phone: (202) 225-6356, Email: otto.katt at mail.house.gov

For more information contact:

Gabe Cazares, government affairs specialist, National Federation of the

Blind

Phone: (410) 659-9314, extension 2206, email: gcazares at nfb.org

For more information visit: www.nfb.org/aim_he

[1] US Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics.

     "Children and Youth with Disabilities"

      (2016) http://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cgg.asp.

[2] Brand, B., Valent, A., Danielson, L. College & Career Readiness &

      Success Center, American Institutes for Research. Improving College

      and Career Readiness for Students with Disabilities. 2013.

[3] "Report of the Advisory Commission on Accessible Instructional

      Materials in Postsecondary Education for Students with Disabilities."

      (2011) 13

[4] United States Department of Labor. "Persons with a Disability: Labor

      Force Characteristics-2015." (2016). http://www.dol.gov/odep/.

[5] Department of Justice Civil Rights Division and Department of Education

      Office of Civil Rights letter to College and University Presidents,

      June 29, 2010.

[6] National Federation of the Blind. "The Accessible Instructional

      Materials in Higher Education (AIM-HEA) Act." Last modified December,

      2015. https://www.nfb.org/aim_he

[7] Government Accountability Office. "Education Needs a Coordinated

      Approach to Improve Its Assistance to Schools in Supporting Students."

      Report to the Chairman, Committee on Education and Labor, House of

      Representatives.10-33 (2009).

[8] Organizations and institutions that have endorsed the Accessible

      Instructional Materials in Higher Education

      Act: https://nfb.org/aim_he.

                                 ----------

                     Access Technology Affordability Act

Increase the availability of access technology and promote affordability of

                     that technology for blind Americans

      Access technology enables blind Americans to participate in today's

connected world. These tools enable blind Americans to perform tasks that

they were once unable to accomplish themselves due to their disability.

Braille notetakers are frequently used in schools, screen reading software

allows workers to check their email at home, and screen magnification

software can help seniors losing vision learn about community activities.

Despite the need for access technology, public and private entities

struggle to meet the demands and provide adequate access technology to

their clients, including blind Americans.[1] This leads to untimely delays

in the delivery of necessary technology and ultimately harms the blind

consumer.

      Paying for access technology out-of-pocket creates a difficult

economic reality. Nearly 60 percent of blind Americans are

unemployed [2] compared to under 5 percent for the general

population.[3] Most access technology can range in cost from $1,000 to

$6,000. For example, a leading screen reader is $900, a popular Braille

notetaker is $5,495, one model of a refreshable Braille display is $2,795,

and a moderately priced Braille embosser is $3,695. Consequently, most

blind Americans do not have sufficient financial resources needed to

purchase these items.[4] These financial barriers can ultimately lead to a

loss of employment, insufficient education, or even isolation from

community activities.

      Medical insurance will not cover the cost of access

technology. Current definitions of "medical care," "medical necessity," and

"durable medical equipment" within common insurance policies do not and

should not include access technology. These definitions were adopted in the

1960s when medical care was viewed primarily as curative and palliative,

with little or no consideration given to increasing an individual's

functional status.[5] However, Congress recognized that blindness, unlike

other disabilities, could be measured easily.[6] Many states' Medicaid

programs and individual health insurance plans have adopted similar

definitions and will not cover access technology.[7]

Access Technology Affordability Act:

      The Access Technology Affordability Act provides a simple solution

that will increase the availability of access technology so that blind

Americans can procure these items for themselves. It establishes a per-

person individual refundable tax credit to be used over a multi-year period

to offset the cost of access technology for blind people.

      Historically, Congress has created similar tax incentives (e.g.,

Disabled Access Credit) for business owners required to make accommodations-

including access technology-for employees and patrons with

disabilities. Congress removed financial barriers so that businesses did

not view the needs of people with disabilities as a burden. These

opportunities are currently available only to business owners, while blind

Americans, for the most part, must depend on others to procure access

technology for them.

      There is no one-size-fits-all solution to meet the access technology

needs of all blind Americans. Accessibility requires an individualized

assessment of one's own skills and preference. Therefore, blind Americans

should be given the opportunity to procure access technology on their own

to ensure that they are receiving the tools that are most useful for them.

      REMOVE FINANCIAL BARRIERS AND INCREASE THE AVAILABILITY OF ACCESS

                                TECHNOLOGY

               Sponsor the Access Technology Affordability Act

For more information, contact:

Kimie Beverly, government affairs specialist, National Federation of the

Blind

Phone: (410) 659-9314, extension 2441, email: kbeverly at nfb.org

[1] Department of Education, Rehabilitation Services and Disability

      Research, "Fiscal Year 2017 Budget

      Request,"
https://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/budget/budget17/justificat

      ions/i-rehab.pdf, p. I-66.

[2] American Community Survey. www.disabilitystatistics.org.

[3] Bureau of Labor Statistics. Labor Force Statistics from the Current

      Population Survey. https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

[4] Erickson, W., Lee, C., von Schrader, S. (2016). "Disability Statistics

      from the 2014 American Community Survey (ACS)." Ithaca, NY: Cornell

      University Employment and Disability Institute (EDI). Retrieved

      November 11, 2016, from www.disabilitystatistics.org.

[5] National Council on Disability, "Federal Policy Barriers to Assistive

      Technology," (May 31, 2000)

      8,
http://www.ncd.gov/rawmedia_repository/c9e48e89_261b_4dda_bc74_203d5

      915519f.pdf.

[6] 26 U.S.C ' 63(f)(4)

[7] Assistive Technology Industry Associates, "AT Resources Funding

      Guide,"
https://www.atia.org/at-resources/what-is-at/resources-funding-

      guide/ (last accessed December 15, 2016).

                                 -----------

Appropriation to the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically

      Handicapped (NLS) for the Purchase of Refreshable Braille Devices

     An appropriation to the National Library Service for the Blind and

   Physically Handicapped will save money and lead to the proliferation of

           critically needed Braille material for blind Americans.

      There are 119,487 libraries of all types operating in the United

States today; [1] however, blind Americans rely on NLS to distribute

Braille books across the nation. Currently these are hardcopy offerings,

but new, low-cost displays (known as refreshable Braille displays) can

produce electronic Braille, saving money, saving paper, and providing a

small device where formerly multiple and large volumes were required for

just one book. Until all blind Americans have access to high-quality,

reliable, refreshable Braille, blind people will continue to encounter

artificial barriers in literacy, education, and employment.

      Innovative advances in refreshable Braille technology could save NLS

$10 million per year. A recent GAO report indicated that the distribution

of refreshable Braille devices will result in an annual cost savings of $10

million.[2] Since 1931, hardcopy Braille has been embossed and distributed

to patrons through a network of regional and subregional libraries. It is

impossible to predict the titles that would be requested at any particular

regional library. As a result, there could be five copies of Harry Potter

and the Order of the Phoenix (thirteen volumes of Braille)[3] in Boise,

Idaho, and none in Richmond, Virginia, where several patrons are currently

waiting. Moreover, in 2015 the cost of embossing, housing, and shipping

hardcopy Braille volumes was $17 million per year.[4]

      Technological innovations now make it possible for Braille to be

produced in electronic files. These can be accessed on refreshable Braille

displays and distributed electronically at a cost of seven million

dollars.[5] Like other types of electronic files (such as printed materials

in .docx format), the same Braille book can be read by potentially

thousands of patrons at the same time with refreshable Braille devices.

Today, the mass production and distribution of Braille content is not only

technologically possible, but the method is cost effective, and vast

quantities of Braille material can now be stored, transported, and

instantly accessed on refreshable Braille displays.

      Braille literacy is essential to employment for the blind. Among

blind people who are employed, 85 percent are Braille readers.[6] In 1931

the Pratt-Smoot Act centralized the collection and housing of the very

small number of individually produced Braille books then existing in the

United States.[7] But even though library services have been made available

to blind people on a national scale, the broad distribution of hard-copy

Braille books is not feasible. Eighty-six years later, the unemployment

rate among the blind in 2014 continued to hover around 60

percent.[8] Recognizing this fact, in acknowledgement of the importance of

Braille literacy, the 114th Congress amended the Pratt-Smoot Act to

authorize NLS to provide its patrons with refreshable Braille displays.

A one-time appropriation of five million dollars to the National Library

Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped would:

      Enable NLS to purchase, through the bidding process, ten thousand

refreshable Braille displays to be loaned to NLS patrons;

      Make Braille materials more widely available to blind Americans than

ever before, thereby improving Braille literacy among blind Americans and

leading to increased employability.

                          Support Braille Literacy

      Cosponsor the NLS Appropriation for Refreshable Braille Displays.

For more information, contact:

Parnell Diggs, director of government affairs, National Federation of the

Blind

Phone: (410) 659-9314, extension 2222, email: pdiggs at nfb.org

[1] "Number of Libraries in the United States." Professional Tools. 2015.

      Accessed December 12, 2016.

      http://www.ala.org/tools/libfactsheets/alalibraryfactsheet01.

[2] United States Government Accountability Office. "Library Services for

      Those with Disabilities" Report to Congressional Committees. April

      2016.

[3] United States Government Accountability Office. "Library Services for

      Those with Disabilities" Report to Congressional Committees. April

      2016.

[4] United States Government Accountability Office. "Library Services for

      Those with Disabilities" Report to Congressional Committees. April

      2016.

[5] United States Government Accountability Office. "Library Services for

      Those with Disabilities" Report to Congressional Committees. April

      2016.

[6] Bell, E. C., & Mino, N. M. (2015). "Employment Outcomes for Blind and

      Visually Impaired Adults." Journal of Blindness Innovation and

      Research, 5(2). Retrieved from

      https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/jbir/jbir15/jbir050202.html.

      doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5241/5-85.

[7] Pratt-Smoot Act, Pub. L. No. 71-787, ch. 400, 46 Stat. 1487 (1931)

      (codified as amended at 2 U.S.C. '' 135a, 135a-1)

[8] American Community Survey. www.disabilitystatistics.org.

                                 ----------

  The Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons

  Who Are Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled ("Marrakesh

                                Treaty") [1]

    An international copyright treaty will give blind Americans access to

 millions of published works and improve the distribution of books across

                                 the globe.

      Millions of Americans are being denied access to published

works.[2] Despite the ability to convert print books into accessible

formats like Braille, audio, and digital copies, over 95 percent of

published works are unavailable to people with print

disabilities.[3] Literacy and equal participation in society are critical

elements of a fulfilling and independent life, but until uniformity is

built into the international copyright system, blind Americans will be

excluded from accessing works. A blind student seeking to learn Spanish

will likely struggle to find an accessible format[4]; a work printed in

English may have already been converted into an accessible format overseas,

but because copies are not exchanged across borders, domestic entities

might need to make a duplicate copy or just might deny access altogether by

failing to reproduce the work.

      An uncoordinated legal approach prevents the cross-border exchange of

accessible books. Unlike the United States, where copyright law includes

the Chafee Amendment and other exceptions,[5] two-thirds of the world's

nations do not have domestic copyright laws that permit making copies for

the blind, limiting the number of works available in an accessible format.

Moreover, many countries consider distribution of accessible copies an

infringement as well, and even amongst nations that permit distribution,

limitations vary. Instead of exchanging books across borders, works are

needlessly duplicated, and circulation is significantly limited.

      The Marrakesh Treaty was adopted to achieve this goal. On June 27,

2013, a diplomatic conference convened by the World Intellectual Property

Organization (WIPO) in Morocco adopted the Marrakesh Treaty with

enthusiastic support from the US delegation. The treaty, signed by the US

on October 2, 2013, currently has eighty-eight signatories, has been

ratified by twenty-five countries,[6] and has entered into force as of

September 30, 2016.[7]

      The Marrakesh Treaty has broad stakeholder support. Blind people

should have full and equal access to all works that enrich lives, further

education, and share critical information; the treaty balances this

priority with the interests of rights holders. WIPO's adoption of the

Marrakesh Treaty was supported by American-based companies,[8] the

international publishing community,[9] legal experts,[10] and blindness

advocates.[11] The treaty will have tangible benefits for all involved.

This is why Congress must act swiftly to ratify the Marrakesh Treaty and

pass its associated implementing legislation.

   The Marrakesh Treaty calls for contracting parties to provide in their

national copyright laws for a limitation or exception that allows for the:

      Reproduction of works by an authorized entity for the purposes of

converting them into accessible format copies exclusively for beneficiary

persons;

      Distribution of accessible format copies exclusively to beneficiary

persons;

      Import of accessible format copies for the purposes of making them

available domestically; and

      Export of accessible format copies for the purposes of making them

available to a beneficiary person in another country.

                Remove Barriers to Access of Published Works.

                Support Ratification of the Marrakesh Treaty.

Phone: (410) 659-9314, extension 2206, email: gcazares at nfb.org

[1]Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons Who Are

      Blind, Visually Impaired, or Otherwise Print Disabled, June 28, 2013

      http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/marrakesh/.

[2] World Health Organization, Fact Sheet, Visual impairment and

      blindness, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs282/en/. Last

      modified August 2014.

[3] World Blind Union, FAQ Sheets on UN and Human Rights Instruments,

      Marrakesh Treaty to Facilitate Access to Published Works for Persons

      who are Blind, Visually Impaired or Otherwise Print

      Disabled,
http://www.worldblindunion.org/English/resources/Pages/Global

      -Blindness-Facts.aspx. Last modified March 2014.

[4] LaBarre, Scott. "Literacy Without Borders: The Road to Marrakesh,"

      Braille Monitor, August/September 2013. "Originally I had planned on a

      double major in government and Spanish. Ultimately I dropped that

      Spanish major precisely because I could not get access to Spanish

      novels and other

      materials."
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm13/bm1308/bm13

      0811.htm.

[5] 17 U.S.C. ' 121.

[6] World Intellectual Property Organization, WIPO-Administered Treaties

      webpage http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ShowResults.jsp?treaty_id=843.

      Last modified on October 6, 2016.

[7] World Intellectual Property Organization, Marrakesh Notification No. 21

      Entry into

      Force
http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/notifications/marrakesh/treaty_ma

      rrakesh_21.html. Last modified on June 30, 2016.

[8] Association of American Publishers, Statement on Completion of WIPO

      Treaty, Press Release, June 27,

      2013. http://publishers.org/press/112/.

[9] International Publishers Association, Closing Statement by the

      International Publishers Association, 27 June

      2013.
http://www.internationalpublishers.org/images/stories/copyright/s

      tatements/closing_statementFinal.pdf.

[10] American Bar Association, Resolution 100, August 11,

      2014.
http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/mental_

      physical_disability/2014_hod_annual_100%20Marrakesh.authcheckdam.pdf

[11] National Federation of the Blind, National Federation of the Blind

      Joins Stevie Wonder and World Blind Union Calling Upon International

      Negotiators to Conclude Successful Treaty for the Blind and Print

      Disabled, Press Release, June 24, 2014. https://nfb.org/national-

      federation-blind-joins-stevie-wonder-and-world-blind-union-calling-

      upon-international.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Amy Mason]

                    The Future of Braille is Refreshing!

                                by Amy Mason

      From the Editor: This piece first appeared in the NFB Access

Technology blog on January 3, 2017. Amy is an access technology specialist

at the Jernigan Institute. Although her education did not start with a

strong foundation in Braille, she was perceptive enough to identify the

need and disciplined enough to learn the skill. Her observations about

Braille are particularly timely given our emphasis on getting more

refreshable Braille to blind patrons of the National Library Service and

our wish to enable blind people to buy more technology themselves with the

assistance of a federal tax credit. Here is what Amy has to say:

      Every year on January 4 we celebrate Louis Braille's birthday because

of his invention of the Braille code-the most powerful and successful

reading and writing system designed for the blind. It has given us freedom

that only a scant 200 years ago we couldn't have imagined. It allows us to

study the sacred and mull the mundane. From Christmas cards to Coraline,

The Great Gatsby to grocery lists, the Bible to the beer menu, and

everything in between, Braille has changed the fortunes of the blind by

opening the written word to us.

      In the same way that Braille has transformed the lives of the blind,

the refreshable Braille display has transformed the way that many of us use

Braille. Braille displays make Braille portable so we can read anytime and

anywhere. Automatic translation means any text can be Braille in a few

moments, so even text messages and face-to-face communications for the deaf-

blind can be Brailled instantly.

      I learned Braille just about the time Braille displays were beginning

to become more commonplace, and I am deeply thankful that I did because I

don't know that I would have met with as much success as I have if I hadn't

had access to refreshable Braille.

      I began learning the code in the latter half of my high school

career, and through the support of some amazing role models from the NFB of

Nebraska who inspired me to practice (a lot), I learned to read about forty

words per minute before starting college. Unfortunately my nomadic

university experience did not provide me with much space or time to spend

with Braille books, and my speed and comprehension suffered.

      Fortunately two opportunities were presented to me before I returned

to college for my junior year. First, I was able to attend the Colorado

Center for the Blind, and second, I was able to get my hands on a Braille

notetaker with a display.

      I credit these two opportunities with my literacy today. If I had not

had the time to keep Braille under my fingers for an extended period of

time, I could have never improved, and the notetaker was a huge part of

that for me. Because of the Braille display, I was able to practice

whenever I found a free moment-on the bus, between appointments, and in bed-

I was reading. I could quickly and easily get my hands on all sorts of

documents, long and short. In a word, it was magical.

      Because of all of this practice, my speed increased to just above one

hundred words per minute. I can't imagine going back to working without a

Braille display. I wouldn't be nearly as efficient or as good at my job,

and I know many others who would agree.

      Refreshable Braille is sadly still very expensive, though prices have

improved some over the last ten years. The cost of forty-cell displays now

average about $3,000, but advances in technology mean a better price is on

the near horizon. I cannot express how exciting this is.

      A few years ago the National Federation of the Blind and several

other blindness organizations decided it was time to make a significant

change to the cost and availability of Braille and did so by creating the

Transforming Braille Project. They donated money, time, and testers to the

process of finding a cheaper way to produce refreshable Braille, and the

first fruits of this partnership are coming to market shortly.

      The Orbit Reader is a twenty-cell display which employs a new method

of raising and lowering the dots. The new cells use less electricity,

increasing the display's battery life, and they are less expensive to

create than traditional refreshable Braille cells. The new cells also

refresh one at a time and remain very firm when dots are raised. The Orbit

Reader will work with all major screen readers (mobile and desktop) that

support Braille today, and its cost will be just under $500 for twenty

cells of Braille. The NFB will be selling the Orbit Reader! Details are

coming soon.

      The Orbit Reader won't meet everyone's needs, but in a very real way

it is opening the door to more affordable refreshable Braille. Given my own

transformative experience with Braille displays, I am a firm believer in

what these devices can do for others. I can't wait to see them in the hands

of Braille readers who were unable to afford them previously.

      Whether the Orbit Reader is the device you've been looking for or

another display would better suit your needs, the access technology team

would love to help you learn what is possible when it comes to refreshable

Braille. The International Braille and Technology Center houses a wide

variety of devices including simple Braille terminals, smart Braille

displays, and full-fledged notetakers, so if you have been wanting to learn

more about a specific device or just about what refreshable Braille can do

for you, please feel free to reach out to us at access at nfb.org, or the

Access Technology Answer Line (410) 659-9314 option 5.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: June Maurer speaks to parents at the 2009 National

Convention.]

                        In Remembrance of June Maurer

                               by Marc Maurer

      From the Editor: June Maurer is the mother of Immediate Past

President Marc Maurer. Some of you will remember her from national

conventions. Still others will remember her from part of a story that

appeared in one of our Kernel Books. We will include it at the end of

June's obituary:

      June Maurer was born on November 28, 1923, in St. Paul, Minnesota, to

Adolph Davis and Ellen Bradshaw. June graduated from high school and went

on to study chemistry at the University of Minnesota. June married

Frederick V. Maurer in 1947, and they lived together in Minneapolis,

Minnesota; Detroit, Michigan; Des Moines, Iowa; Boone, Iowa; and Bellevue,

Iowa.  Fred and June had six children, Peter (Laurie), Marc (Patricia), Max

(Brenda), Matthew (Carol Bowman), Mary Ellen, and Mitchell (Theresa). She

lost Fred in 1993 in Bellevue. In 2012 June moved to Westfield, Indiana, to

be close to family, where she lived for the remainder of her life. She was

preceded in death by her brothers William (Bill), Robert (Bud), and Paul

Davis.  June outlived all the relations in her generation and is survived

by her six children, thirteen grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

      June was a devout Catholic and a member of St. Patrick's of St. Paul

Parish as a youngster; Sacred Heart Parish in Boone, Iowa, in the 1960's;

and St. Joseph Parish in Bellevue, Iowa, from 1969 to 2012.  June was

deeply involved with each of these parishes, giving generously of her time

and talent, and deriving deep spiritual benefit.

      June was an avid hobbyist, dabbling in many areas, and delving deeply

in a few. She was a fast and creative knitter, a fine seamstress, a good

cook, an avid reader, and she was well known for her love of singing and

dancing. There are many layettes and mittens in the world thanks to June's

fast hands.

      June loved to travel, be that near or far. She traveled extensively

both domestically and abroad.  She loved to go and have a good time. Her

friends counted on her as a steady, willing companion, no matter where they

might be going. Those who knew June well remember her loud, unique, and

frequent laugh. You could find her in a crowd from that laugh. In her later

years she was part of the Foster Grandparents tutoring program and became

known to many youngsters as "Gramma June."

      Gramma June is now in the hands of God. She will be missed by those

who loved her.

[PHOTO CAPTION: June Maurer hugs her son at the 1998 National Convention.]

      Editor's Note: Of all the many wonderful memories that Marc Maurer

has of his mother, he shares two that convey the essential warmth,

intelligence, and strength his mother had and shared with the world:

      I was in the first grade. There were sixteen of us-two rows of eight.

I was the sixth person back in the first row. We all got our Dick and Jane

books, and the first child in the first row was asked to read page one. By

the time it came to me, I had heard page one five times. I put my hands on

the page and recited. For this performance I was invited up front to

receive a gold star on page one of my book. My teacher urged me to take the

book home with me on the weekend to show my mother what I had done. My

mother asked me if she could borrow the book, and I gave it to her. My

mother had learned Braille because she thought she might need it to

communicate with me. Later during the weekend she gave me a piece of

Braille paper that had lines of Braille on it, and she asked me to read it.

I could not. She told me that the page contained an exact copy of page one

of my Dick and Jane book.

      In the summer months between my first and second grade years, my

mother sat me on the couch in the living room for an hour each day to teach

me to read Braille. I was most annoyed by this because nobody else in the

family had homework in the summer. Nevertheless, I learned to read Braille.

It has been both a joyous skill to use and a most useful one for

accomplishing the work that I do. These moms sometimes have a great deal of

sense.

Final Reflections:

      I visited with my mom the week before she died. For three weeks

before I had come she had remained in bed and spent most of her time

asleep. She was not able to sit up while I was there, but at times she was

animated, and she appeared to be singing with us. Because her mind had

deteriorated, it was not possible to understand the words she was singing,

but it was quite evident that she was enjoying herself, and she smiled.

When my mom died, I reflected that she loved to travel. She always liked to

go to new places and to have new experiences, and she had faith in God and

in God's goodness in creating Paradise. I feel certain that she wanted to

travel on this most joyous trip to learn about what God had in store for

her. My mom often prayed for me. For those who want to remember her, a

prayer would be good.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Ray McAllister cradles a newborn baby girl he helped

deliver.]

                               A Dream is Born

                              by Ray McAllister

      From the Editor: Monitor readers may remember Ray McAllister as the

winner of a Bolotin Award at the 2016 National Convention. He was one of

the Semitic Scholars whose efforts have created the tools to allow future

blind scholars to study works in ancient languages. In August of 2010 he

received a PhD in Hebrew Scriptures. Dr. McAllister is totally blind, so

he's the first blind PhD from Andrews University's seminary and the first

totally blind person in the world to get a PhD in Hebrew Scriptures. He

teaches distance education religion classes for Andrews University, but he

isn't just a scholar focusing on the past. Ray chose to take a rather

nontraditional path as both a blind person and a man, choosing to become a

part of a most amazing everyday event that shapes the future: the birth of

a child. In December, 2014, he became the first totally blind, male,

certified birth doula trained to assist a woman during childbirth. Here is

how he describes the journey to become a massage doula:

      For years I've dreamed of witnessing the birth of a baby. I have no

children, and my wife is past childbearing age. Since I'm totally blind,

sitting in the back of a delivery room while someone's having a baby

wouldn't be helpful. So, in 2014, I took the journey to become a certified

massage doula, most likely the first totally blind, male, certified doula.

On this journey I would not only witness births but make a difference for

three women in what some would consider the most difficult day of their

lives.

      In June 2014 my wife Sally and I discovered the Institute of Somatic

Therapy on the internet. This online distance education school has a

program for training massage therapists to become massage doulas. A doula

assists in childbirth to see to the comfort of the woman having the baby. A

massage doula does this but incorporates all the skills of massage to have

a special edge in reducing the pain, stress, and length of labor. Since I

had been a licensed massage therapist for over a year, this looked like an

excellent program. Even though male doulas are rare, I signed up the next

day. I've always been the type to do things considered outside the box. I

also agreed to help adapt this program so it would be accessible to blind

people.

      Within a couple weeks I had completed the first steps of the program,

theoretical and practical, becoming a certified prenatal massage therapist.

Then I began actually studying the materials for becoming a massage doula.

Learning the theory was easy. I read the materials with my screen reader,

as I had done in the earlier part of the course. A female massage therapist

showed me various birthing positions and techniques. One time we had to

have Sally join us so this therapist could help me understand how two

people can easily assist a woman into a pushing position. Meanwhile, I was

writing down descriptions of all this for the blind using proper technical

medical terminology, which anyone with massage training could clearly

interpret. I passed the academic test for the doula course shortly after.

      Then came the difficult part of the journey: finding three pregnant

women who would accept a blind male as their doula. None of the pregnant

women I knew from my church or as friends were interested. I was offering

free prenatal and post-partum massage care, and that didn't even get

anyone's attention.

      Next I reached out to a homeless shelter where I had preached in the

past and done infant massages when I was in massage school. There I found a

resident who was very receptive to my offer to assist in the birth of her

first child. Soon this resident referred another pregnant friend of hers to

me, and by that time I was also waiting for two women to go into labor at

about the same time. In fact I had to warn them that if they went into

labor on the same day, I'd have to choose only one of them.

      On October 13, Canadian Thanksgiving Day, at 2 AM, my wife and I got

the call that the first woman was at the hospital, about ready to start

pushing. Just ten days after I helped her push, her friend went into labor

with her first child, and I spent all day helping comfort her through labor

and supported her through pushing. A few weeks later I was introduced to a

friend of this woman who was almost due. On the day before American

Thanksgiving, I had to interrupt the making of my pumpkin pie because she

went into labor with her third child.

     Being part of all three births was the most amazing experience. I

heard a baby's first cry. After one of them, the doctor who delivered the

baby let me feel the placenta through my rubber gloves. A blind person

won't get to see what that looks like on a television documentary. All the

women reported that I had helped them significantly with everything from

preparing for labor to easing labor pains to giving guidance through

pushing. My blindness was not a hindrance. My Braille-reader's touch

enabled me to provide effective relaxation, and I could lightly joke about

how I don't peek. Truly, we all had much to be thankful for.

      Now I am a certified massage doula. I don't know exactly where this

path will take me. I may find paying customers, and/or I may work for free

for those who really need the support but could not possibly afford it. If

a blind person really wishes to experience the miracle of birth and has a

compassionate heart, doula work is probably the only way in to a delivery

environment. Even if it is just for the three births for certification, the

memories and experience will last me a lifetime.

      Update: It's now 2016. I have assisted in six births. Early this year

I visited an area hospital's birth simulation lab. There they have a

mechanical model of a woman having a baby. I could feel how the baby moves

and turns during contractions and what the different birth presentations

like breech really look like.

                                 ----------

Leave a Legacy

      For more than seventy-five years the National Federation of the Blind

has worked to transform the dreams of hundreds of thousands of blind people

into reality, and with your support we will continue to do so for decades

to come. We sincerely hope you will plan to be a part of our enduring

movement by adding the National Federation of the Blind as a partial

beneficiary in your will. A gift to the National Federation of the Blind in

your will is more than just a charitable, tax-deductible donation. It is a

way to join in the work to help blind people live the lives they want that

leaves a lasting imprint on the lives of thousands of blind children and

adults.

With your help, the NFB will continue to:

    . Give blind children the gift of literacy through Braille;

    . Promote the independent travel of the blind by providing free, long

      white canes to blind people in need;

    . Develop dynamic educational projects and programs that show blind

      youth that science and math are within their reach;

    . Deliver hundreds of accessible newspapers and magazines to provide

      blind people the essential information necessary to be actively

      involved in their communities;

    . Offer aids and appliances that help seniors losing vision maintain

      their independence; and

    . Fund scholarship programs so that blind people can achieve their

      dreams.

Plan to Leave a Legacy

      Creating a will gives you the final say in what happens to your

possessions and is the only way to be sure that your remaining assets are

distributed according to your passions and beliefs. Many people fear

creating a will or believe it's not necessary until they are much older.

Others think that it's expensive and confusing. However, it is one of the

most important things you will do, and with new online legal programs it is

easier and cheaper than ever before. If you do decide to create or revise

your will, consider the National Federation of the Blind as a partial

beneficiary. Visit <www.nfb.org/planned-giving> or call (410) 659-9314,

extension 2422, for more information. Together with love, hope,

determination, and your support, we will continue to transform dreams into

reality.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Courtney Cole]

                                  Stand Up

                              by Courtney Cole

      From the Editor: Courtney is originally from Virginia Beach,

Virginia. However, after a move in high school due to her father's military

career, she fell in love with the Pacific Northwest. She now attends

Seattle University in Seattle, Washington, studying psychology. She is on

the staff of Rooted in Rights, a Disability Rights Washington program,

where she works as a creative production intern to help in the production

of media which advocates for the rights of people with disabilities. She is

a member of her state affiliate of the NFB and has been elected vice

president of the Association of Blind Students for her state. In her spare

time she enjoys writing her blog, playing ukulele, and singing. Like

Courtney herself, her article is short but powerful. Here is what she has

to say:

      Everything feels surreal right now. I've spent the past two days at

Seattle University, my new school, for orientation. My new school. It's

still sinking in, as you can probably tell. It's so incredible because I

sincerely, in all honesty, did not think I would live to see life after

high school. I'm sure many of you can relate. In fact I think everyone

feels that way at some point during secondary school.

      Now that time is over. I've finally stepped into the chapter of my

life where people really start to define themselves, and I'm so excited. I

know I have stars in my eyes for something brand new and that eventually it

will become a place where I have a routine. In other words, the honeymoon

phase will end.

      Of all the information I learned at orientation, I can't help but

feel excited about how I walked with my cane confidently, how I introduced

myself to others, and how I finally feel comfortable in my own skin. There

was a portion of the orientation where we all assembled to discuss

diversity. The speaker would say statements, and if it applied to you, you

would stand. For me it pointed out that we are all very different, but we

all have unique challenges and components to our lives that make us who we

are.

      "If you have or live with someone who has a disability, please

stand."

      To many of the students there the activity may have felt like a waste

of time or just too invasive. Most of them probably thought it was stupid,

and yeah, maybe it was a little melodramatic. There was a time when I would

have felt the same, but yesterday I couldn't. I was too busy standing as

tall as my four-foot-eleven stature would allow. In that moment, I realized

that I am nothing but proud and confident about who I am. Everyone has

their own challenges, and mine have made me who I am. I'm no longer ashamed

or apologetic because I have different abilities from everyone else. This

is all to say, "Do not be like me." Don't wait until you are eighteen years

old to feel comfortable in your skin and to be proud of who you are. And if

you're older than eighteen, do not wait another second. Time putting

yourself down and not loving yourself is wasted time, and, in addition, you

are preventing yourself from so much. You're going to make mistakes, and

you have flaws. We all do. But you will never learn from them if you're

consumed with punishing yourself.

      Don't be your own worst enemy. Be proud of who you are, and don't let

anyone dictate how you feel about yourself. Stand up, and start moving.

                                 ----------

         Community Service Division Works with Habitat for Humanity

                               by Darian Smith

      From the Editor: Darian Smith is the president of the National

Federation of the Blind Community Service Division. The purpose of the

division is to show that blind people are more than takers and that real

integration means taking our place as responsible givers. Here is one

example of the way the division put this philosophy into action in 2016 as

related by Darian:

      Earlier this month Habitat for Humanity of Greater Orlando asked our

Community Service Division to work with them to contribute an article for

its October newsletter. The newsletter is a paper publication, but I was

able to work with their Marketing and Communications Manager to get a text

copy of the article which is included below.

                        Building without Boundaries

      Earlier this summer the National Federation of the Blind joined us on

our build site for a day of volunteering. It was just like any other

morning on our build site with our construction team working beside

volunteers and ready to assist whenever needed. We welcome all volunteers

with open arms and hearts, and this group truly proved that their blindness

did not limit their ability to lend a hand and help build homes,

communities, and hope.

      Our task for the day was hanging drywall, which requires strong

communication and a lot of teamwork. The group jumped right in, and with

some minor modifications, such as using black markers to indicate where to

put screws and creating small divots to be used for drills, they got all of

the sheets hung! For most of the volunteers, it was their first time

working with a power tool.

      "Once we arrived, we-like any other group-were a little nervous, not

knowing just what the work would entail. Once we learned the type of work

we would be doing and just how to do it, we soon found it to be second

nature," said Darian Smith, president of the National Federation of the

Blind Community Service Division.

characteristic that defines a blind person or his or her future and that

all blind people can live the lives they want. By joining with one another

on service projects, the Community Service Division aims to use service as

a means to show that the blind have the talent and desire to better the

world we live in. Through engaging in collective action, they are able to

improve the lives of blind people all across the country, with love, hope,

and determination. Every day, they transform dreams into reality.

                                 ----------

                              Across the World

                               by Matt Jepsen

      From the Editor: Matt Jepsen lives in Moscow, Idaho, with his wife

Erin and their four children. He works as a computer programmer with a

local company called Populi. Matt is quite involved with the NFB of Idaho

through his wife Erin and their daughter Abi, both of whom are blind. In

the future he would like to do more work providing canes and Braille Bibles

in local languages in Ethiopia and would welcome any information or

contacts of people also working to that end. He can be reached at

moscowcoffeereview at gmail.com. Here is what he says:

      Life always takes unexpected twists and turns, but I never would have

predicted finding myself on a plane to Ethiopia with a suitcase full of

white canes and Braille slates! In fact, six years ago I knew almost

nothing about Ethiopia other than the fact that it was located in East

Africa and occasionally cropped up in the international news. I didn't even

know that the most common language was called Amharic. A few years ago we

decided to adopt a little blind girl from Ethiopia, and that is how our

interest in the people and culture of Ethiopia began. Having two biological

children already and a third adopted domestically, we decided to adopt a

fourth, this time abroad.

      My wife Erin has a visual impairment that prevents her from driving

or easily reading print and has been an enthusiast for blind mobility

skills since she was young. She is also a certified Braille transcriber.

Because of this background and knowledge, we decided we would really like

to adopt a blind child. After slogging through mountains of paperwork and

walking over the emotional mountains and trenches that accompany

international adoption, in 2011 we traveled to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, to

appear in court and meet our new daughter Elizabeth. That was five years

ago, and our daughter is eight years old now. In the meantime, my wife has

taught her to read (she just finished the entire Little House on the

Prairie series) and taught her to get around town independently with a

white cane (age appropriately, of course!). Because we learned to love her

country and culture as we tried to preserve some of it in her life, I read

many books about Ethiopian culture and history, and we both used books and

homemade flashcards to learn as much of the local language as we could.

      What I discovered along the way is that, while Ethiopia is a large

country (about twice the size of Texas) of nearly 100 million people,

almost nobody there is doing anything to serve the blind population. There

are plenty of NGOs [non-governmental organizations] there digging wells and

supporting mothers with HIV, but the blind are very marginalized. Every

once in a while a team of doctors will fly over for a week and give a few

hundred people cataract surgeries, restoring a handful of people's vision

overnight, but for those who cannot be healed by medicine (and there are

several million), the prospects are rather grim and far behind those found

in much of the rest of the world.

      Over the past few years my wife and I have tossed around the idea of

returning to Ethiopia to help with education and advocacy for blind people

who live there. After a lot of phone calls and some serendipitous

encounters over the past year, I connected with a couple of local

Ethiopians who had only recently begun to organize for the same purpose.

Berhanu Belay is an energetic man leading one of these efforts. He is blind

himself from childhood and attended one of the only schools for the blind

in the country, established by the last emperor, Haile Selassie, in the

1960s. When communist rebels took over the country during the 70s and 80s,

concern for the blind declined severely, and the school has been neglected.

Berhanu's organization, Zena Wengal, is a specifically Christian ministry,

but nevertheless is working to improve the lives of blind people regardless

of their religion.

      With all this in mind, I decided to travel to Ethiopia in October of

2016 for several weeks to contribute and learn as much as I could. I wanted

to take some immediately useful materials, so I collected used and new

collapsible canes donated by other NFB members in our town, as well as

small ones that my daughter had outgrown. Beverly Cook, a blind woman from

southern California who runs an organization called Global Cane Outreach,

was also able to provide me with many canes for the trip. I was able to

fill one suitcase with nearly forty canes. Additionally, I took a pipe

cutter with me so adult canes could be cut to size for some of the younger

kids. I also acquired over thirty metal Braille slates using money donated

by our local NFB chapter, along with several jingle soccer balls, a Perkins

Brailler, and some solar-powered audio units containing the Bible in

Amharic and Oromifa, the other most widely-used language in the region. I

also arranged to meet with some of my adopted daughter's relatives while I

was there so I could learn more about her family and past.

      It felt like such a small gesture, but my gifts were enthusiastically

received, and I had a wonderful time learning as much as I could during the

two weeks I was there. Most of the materials went to a school for the blind

in the town of Sebeta, about an hour outside of Addis Ababa. There, about

300 blind students reside, all gathered from the rural areas of the

country. On average, one in four children had a Braille slate to use in

class, so they spent a lot of time taking turns. Most of the children used

wooden sticks to serve as canes. Because traffic accidents on the

unpredictable streets are the number one cause of injury, having a white

high-reflective cane is especially valuable.

      The children I met surprised and delighted me by acting just like

children do the world over, sighted or blind. Some teenage boys, with arms

linked together to help them not trip on things, joked around in between

classes. Some teen girls listened to Ethiopian pop music on a cell phone

one of them had. Surprisingly, everyone has a cell phone. Old-style flip

phones can be had for only about $10 and use reloadable time cards. Some

younger girls sang and played a clapping game together outside their

dormitory. A Muslim girl wearing a hijab studiously copied down notes using

a slate and stylus. Some younger boys played soccer using an old plastic

jug that was remarkably easy to hear on the pavement. Lunch for everyone

was a huge pot of lentil stew cooked over an open fire in the smoky

kitchen.

      Only the most fierce and clever students are able to advance on to

college and with luck get a job as a public school teacher making

approximately $150 a month. Most of the volunteers I met were people who

had been fortunate and resilient enough to make it to that point and who

wanted to give back to the next generation. For the rest of the children,

they might be able to work making brooms or baskets, but many will end up

on the streets begging. The idea that the blind can lead normal, productive

lives is not something found much in the public's imagination, and

consequently in the minds of blind people themselves. By giving them canes

and training, teaching them Braille, and telling them that they matter, we

hope to plant a seed that can grow into a brighter future for them and for

their families.

      I'm back in the USA now but am still thinking about the kind and

beautiful Ethiopian people. I'd love to go back for a longer-term stay,

although our children are still young, and it may be a few years before we

are able to do much additional volunteer work there. In the meantime, my

wife and I bought an older embosser on eBay and are working on producing

some useful Braille materials in the Oromifa language that currently don't

exist. A woman I met there named Meseret hopes to repair a closet full of

Perkins Braillers that have been lying dormant for many years, and we will

be sending her some tools and spare parts. My wife will continue

homeschooling Elizabeth and helping her become more independent. If I may

be allowed a quick brag, I'm pleased to report that she has been devouring

her Braille copy of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and yesterday

she climbed over forty feet straight up the rock climbing wall at our local

university's recreation center. Through it all we've been very thankful for

the support and friends we made through the NFB, especially our local

chapter. Who knew that a little effort here could spread halfway across the

world? I certainly didn't. I'm looking forward to what the future holds.

                                 ----------

                              Dots from Space!

                            Voices from the Past

                        by Amy Mason and Anna Kresmer

      From the Editor: This is episode three from our monthly serial "Dots

from Space!" If you missed episodes one and two, refer to the January and

February issues.

      Some time later, as the intrepid crew continues their explorations,

they find themselves in a large room with shining glass windows stretching

all the way up to the ceiling. A once-stately wooden desk and leather

office furniture, showing the signs of age and neglect, are positioned in

the center of a semicircle comprised of fifteen chairs. Strewn among the

chairs and across the surface of the desk are small structures made from

miniature interlocking building blocks, while an enormous glass jar of

candy-coated chocolates sits half-empty on the desk.

      The first officer rotates slightly as he considers the scene before

them. Deep in concentration he stretches out a limb and uses two fingers to

stroke what appears to be a small pointy beard on his nonexistent chin. It

squeaks softly in the hushed room. "The room appears to have been

abandoned, Captain," he says in an authoritative voice.

      "Indeed, Commander Point. Just like the rest of the building,

perhaps?" the captain's exasperation is apparent.

      "Yes, er... I mean no, Captain. This room was obviously abandoned in

a hurry in the middle of some strange ritual." Squeak, squeak, squeak.

      "An astute observation, as usual, Commander," replies Doctor Spot.

Spot then turns to the fifth member of the group and asks, "How are you

making out on reactivating that primitive computing device, Lieutenant-

Commander Jot?"

      "Almost got it now, Doctor?" says a cheerful voice under the desk as

ominous sparks light up the murky room.

      Suddenly the computer screen comes to life, and a voice from the past

echoes in the long-abandoned room. As the voices from long-ago waft among

the crew members, a faint squeaking sound can be heard.

      "Knock it off, Commander!" barks the captain. "I want to hear this!"

      "Oh, sorry!" A small pop can be heard as the commander quickly

retracts the arm back into his body.

LEGO and the Pattern of Experience [Video transcription]

[Son] So, we're also going to need one base plate.

[Father] Got it.

[Son] And we're also going to need one two-by-one flat, please.

[Father] So this base plate is eight-by-sixteen.

[Son] A one-by-two flat.

[Father] A one-by-two flat?

[Son] Yes.

[Father] Hello, I'm Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of

the Blind. I'm also a blind person who is a father of three children. It

was shocking to me the first time in one of our science programs in the

National Federation of the Blind when we were doing an activity, we were

trying to get kids to build models that they were going to test with LEGOs,

and these were high school students, and we found that some of them had

never built with LEGOs before. And it was a little astonishing to learn

that blind kids, especially ones that were interested in science,

technology, engineering, and math just hadn't had the opportunity to learn

concepts of engineering, building, spatial relationship, simply from

playing with LEGOs. So it got me interested in what we could do in our

organization to build greater opportunities, and one of the things that we

decided we wanted to do was find ways to communicate the instructions for

LEGOs, which are often presented visually in alternative ways. So I started

with my son, developing a language that we use to describe different

pieces. That's the way we build together; we look for different pieces

together, we talk about the types of pieces we need-the key is using a

common language.

[Son] Put the stud one in the corner. This one up here. This corner.

[Father] This stud one?

[Son] No. Yeah, that one right in the corner.

[Father] Right there.

[Son] Okay, then put the flat piece across.

[Father] Across?

[Son] Yeah sort of across it. No not like that. Just get it down onto, next

to it.

[Father] Next to it? Like that?

[Son] Yeah, good. And then put the studded one right underneath the end of

that one, of the flat.

[Father] Over here?

[Son] Wrong, wrong, wrong. Right under it.

[Father] Under it? In the middle?

[Son] No, right here, man.

[Father] At the end?

[Son] Yeah, at the end. That's what I'm saying. Okay.

[Father] One thing I think is really important is just letting children

have the opportunity to build. So often in society it's focused on our kids

building the right way, following the right instructions. But, you know,

when I first as a blind child started playing with LEGOs, the focus wasn't

on building sets. It was on just getting a bunch of bricks and building

things from your imagination and starting to learn the concepts of

building. And I think that's particularly important for getting blind

children engaging with building. And it can teach so many great spatial

concepts.

[Son] And now we need one jointed double one-by-one, one-by-two joints.

[Father] One-by-two jointed. Oh. Like this thing?

[Son] No, but it's connected like one of these except, no, oh yeah. One of

these except a different color.

[Father] Oh, that's a jointed.

[Son] Yes. And then we also need two four-by-one stud flats.

[Father] What color?

[Son] Gray.

[Father] I just think LEGOs provide particularly a very fun and interactive

way to teach spatial concepts, building concepts, that are very useful for

everybody. And besides, they're a lot of fun, don't you think?

[Son] I think that LEGOs are really awesome, and if there weren't LEGOs,

the world would be pretty boring.

[Father] So what do you think about building with me?

[Son] I think that it's fun even though you can't see. I think that it's

good to have the opportunity to build with somebody who has experience and

knows how to build, what to do.

[Father] So what did you learn from building with me?

[Son] That you don't always have to follow the instructions. Just be

creative. Build whatever you want.

      As the soundtrack of the video fades, Ensign Bean begins to bounce

excitedly. "Counselor! This must be how they taught their young! This was

some kind of mentoring ritual!"

      "I think you may be right, Ensign," Counselor Mote concedes. "A truly

creative way to impart some important life lessons." [Note: Link to video

https://youtu.be/0ncVyVcAG9o]

                                 ----------

              The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

                               by Allen Harris

      From the Editor: Allen Harris is the chairman of the Kenneth Jernigan

Fund Committee and was one of the people who came up with the idea of

honoring our former president and longtime leader by establishing a program

to promote attendance at the national convention, where so much inspiration

and learning occur. Here is Allen's announcement about the 2017 Kenneth

Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund Program:

      Have you always wanted to attend an NFB annual convention but have

not done so because of the lack of funds? The Kenneth Jernigan Convention

Scholarship Fund invites you to make an application for a scholarship

grant. Perhaps this July you too can be in the Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel in

Orlando, Florida, enjoying the many pleasures and learning opportunities at

the largest and most important yearly convention of blind people in the

world.

      The three biggest ticket items you need to cover when attending an

NFB national convention are the roundtrip transportation, the hotel room

for a week, and the food (which tends to be higher priced than at home). We

attempt to award additional funds to families, but, whether a family or an

individual is granted a scholarship, this fund can only help; it won't pay

all the costs. Last year most of the sixty grants were in the range of $400

to $500 per individual.

      We recommend that you find an NFB member as your personal convention

mentor, someone who has been to many national conventions and is able to

share money-saving tips with you and tips on navigating the extensive

agenda in the big hotel. Your mentor will help you get the most out of the

amazing experience that is convention week.

      Who is eligible?

      Active NFB members, blind or sighted, who have not yet attended an

NFB national convention because of lack of funding are eligible to apply.

      How do I apply for funding assistance?

      1. You write a letter giving your contact information, and your local

NFB information, your specific amount requested, and then explain why this

is a good investment for the NFB. The points to cover are listed below.

      2. You contact your state president in person or by phone to request

his or her help in obtaining funding. Be sure to tell the president when to

expect your request letter by email, and mention the deadline.

      3. You (or a friend) send your letter by email to your state

president. He or she must add a president's recommendation and then email

both letters directly to the Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

Committee. Your president must forward the two letters no later than April

15, 2015.

      Your letter to Chairperson Allen Harris must cover these points:

.Your full name, and all your telephone numbers and label them-cell phone,

home, office, other person (if any).

.Your mailing address and, if you have one, your email address.

.Your state affiliate and state president; your chapter and chapter

president, if you attend a chapter.

.Your personal convention mentor, and provide that person's phone number.

.Your specific request:

      Explain how much money you need from this fund to make this trip

possible for you. We suggest you consult with other members to make a rough

budget for yourself.

      The body of your letter should answer these questions:

      How do you currently participate in the Federation? Why do you want

to attend a national convention? What would you receive; what can you share

or give? You can include in your letter to the committee any special

circumstances you hope they will take into consideration.

      When will I be notified that I am a winner?

      If you are chosen to receive this scholarship, you will receive a

letter with convention details that should answer most of your questions.

The committee makes every effort to notify scholarship winners by May 15,

but you must do several things before that to be prepared to attend if you

are chosen.

      1. Make your own hotel reservation. If something prevents you from

attending, you can cancel the reservation. (Yes, you may arrange for

roommates of your own to reduce the cost.)

      2. Register online for the entire convention, including the banquet,

by May 31.

      3. Find someone in your chapter or affiliate who has been to many

conventions and can answer your questions as a friend and advisor.

      4. If you do not hear from the committee by May 15, then you did not

win a grant this year.

      How will I receive my convention scholarship?

      At convention you will be given a debit card or credit card loaded

with the amount of your award. The times and locations to pick up your card

will be listed in the letter we sent you. The committee is not able to

provide funds before the convention, so work with your chapter and state

affiliate to assist you by obtaining an agreement to advance funds if you

win a scholarship and to pay your treasury back after you receive your

debit or credit card.

      What if I have more questions? For additional information email the

chairman, Allen Harris, at <kjscholarships at nfb.org> or call his Baltimore,

Maryland, office at (410) 659-9314, extension 2415.

      Above all, please use this opportunity to attend your first

convention on the national level and join several thousand active

Federationists in the most important meeting of the blind in the world. We

hope to see you in Orlando.

                                 ----------

                         Independence Market Corner

      The National Federation of the Blind Independence Market is the

conduit through which our organization distributes our empowering

literature to our members, friends, and the general public. As a service we

also operate a blindness products store, which sells mostly low-tech items,

designed to enhance the everyday independence of blind people.

      This month we want to highlight a product we have carried for a

while: the PenFriend 2 Voice Labeling System. A tool for labeling and

organizing various household items, this pen-shaped device, approximately

six inches long and one inch in diameter, records voice labels of varying

lengths and associates them with stick-on labels. The unit has four

gigabytes of internal memory, which allows for up to 125 hours of recording

time. The memory capacity can be increased by replacing the included micro

SD card with one up to sixteen gig. 127 stick-on labels of assorted sizes

and three magnetic labels are included. Individual recordings can be up to

an hour long. Label playback may be paused and resumed, but rewinding and

fast-forwarding are not possible. Labels can be re-recorded and additional

label packages are available for purchase. Features include volume control,

an external speaker, a headphone jack, and a lanyard. Audio instructions

are built into the packaging and are accessed with the PenFriend itself.

      This audio labeling tool can be used to accomplish a variety of

tasks. From labeling cooking spices; packaged, canned, and frozen foods;

medications; CDs and DVDs; AC adaptors; to files and important papers, only

the user's imagination will limit what one can accomplish with this device.

For example, when labeling medications, place the label on the cap, so the

cap can be switched out for the next refill of a prescription. If the

prescription changes, simply re-record the label. One might want to follow

the same procedure with cooking spices. One may not want to place the label

directly on canned goods and other one-time use items, since the labels are

reusable and re-recordable. The Independence Market carries plastic food

labels, originally designed for Brailling, which attach to cans and

packages using elastic. As it turns out, these labels are perfect to create

reusable PenFriend labels. One could even combine the two labeling methods

by creating a Braille label for boxed brownie mix and using the PenFriend

label for the preparation instructions. Some people have even used an

arrangement of PenFriend labels to create address books, calendars, and to-

do lists.

      PenFriend laundry labels are also available for purchase. After the

adhesive has had a chance to bond with the fabric, the labels can go

through the washer and dryer. However, they are not suitable for garments

that have to be dry-cleaned. Record the care instructions as well as a

description of the clothing item and note what other garments match it.

      It's obvious that the PenFriend is a very useful device, especially

to those who don't know or can't read Braille. With some creativity, the

PenFriend can serve as an invaluable organizing tool.

      For more information about the products and literature available from

the Independence Market or to request a catalog in Braille or in print

visit us online at https://nfb.org/independence-market. You may also

contact us using email at independencemarket at nfb.org or by phone at (410)

659-9314, extension 2216, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

eastern time. Our staff will be glad to assist.

                                 ----------

                                   Recipes

      In February Federationists traveled to Washington, DC, to speak with

their Congressmen about legislation that we in the National Federation of

the Blind are supporting. But speaking to legislators is not something that

can happen only once a year in the nation's capital. With that in mind,

this month we went back into the archives to offer up a selection of

refreshments suitable for setting out when entertaining your local

politicians, regardless their office.

                         NFB Tea by Kenneth Jernigan

      Somewhere around 1970, when the national office of the Federation was

at the Randolph Hotel building in Des Moines, I began making a concoction

which I called NFB Tea. I served it to the first seminar, which occurred in

the fall of 1973, and I served it in the presidential suite at National

Conventions. Some admired it; others couldn't tolerate it; but everybody

knew about it.

      Then, as the seventies passed into history and the eighties came and

went, the custom of serving NFB Tea at conventions and seminars faded.

However, there are those who pine "for the good old days" and long to see a

revival of the soothing brew. They continue to ask that the recipe for the

NFB Tea appear in the Monitor.

      When I remind them that I put it into the Monitor sometime early in

the seventies, they simply respond with annoyance, saying that they don't

remember it, don't have that edition of the Monitor, or don't want to be

bothered with irrelevancies. Since the recipe is now quite different from

what it was when it appeared in the Monitor a decade and a half ago and

since the requests continue, it seems worthwhile to print it again. So here

it is as revised:

      You can make as much or as little NFB Tea as you want by increasing

or decreasing the quantity of the three basic ingredients. Just keep the

proportions the same. Pour equal parts of pineapple juice, orange juice,

and cranberry juice or cranberry cocktail into a large container. If you

don't intend to use at least as much as a forty-six-ounce can of each of

these juices, it hardly seems worth the bother, not to mention which it

will be difficult not to over flavor. After you mix these three basic

juices, the fun begins. I usually add about one-third as much peach or

apricot nectar and one-third as much apple juice as I have used of each of

the three basic ingredients. Sometimes (but not always) I also add a small

amount of pear nectar if I have it, about half as much as I have used of

the apple or peach.

      Then I begin to sweeten the mixture with either sugar or sugar

substitute and add flavors, tasting as I go. I regard certain flavorings as

indispensable, but NFB Tea is a highly flexible brew, which should be

crafted to the taste of the brewer. I always use vanilla, cinnamon, and

nutmeg. I use liquid cinnamon and nutmeg, and if I don't have the liquid, I

make it by heating the ground spice in water as strong as I can and

straining it.

      Next I add small amounts of a large variety of other flavorings. I

emphasize that you should begin with only dribs and drabs. Remember that

you can always put more in; once it's there, you can't take it out. The

mixture of flavors will depend on the whim of the moment and what I have

handy. But I will always use at least eight or nine in addition to the

cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. Here are some of the ones I use: almond,

Angostura bitters, anise, apple pie spice, arrack flavoring, banana,

blackberry, blackcurrant, blueberry, brandy flavor, butternut,

butterscotch, butter rum, caramel, cherry, peach, chocolate, clove,

coconut, coffee flavor, English toffee, a tiny amount of ginger, hickory

nut, lemon, pineapple, lime, maple, orange, orange bitters, pear, pecan,

pistachio, pumpkin pie spice, root beer, rose, rum flavor, sassafras,

violet, sherry flavor, strawberry, tangerine, walnut, and most anything

else I can find. I don't use mint, eucalyptus oil, or wintergreen. It will

also be observed that NFB Tea contains no tea. When I first started making

the brew in the early seventies, I used Lipton tea, but I abandoned the

practice before the end of the decade. It had to do with some of my Mormon

friends and also with my evolving taste. I like it better without the tea.

      When the mixture has been thoroughly concocted and tasted, a good

deal of ice should be added and stirred in. All that remains is to enjoy

the product and try different proportions next time, but not different

proportions among the three basic ingredients-pineapple juice, orange

juice, and cranberry juice or cocktail. And no omission of the three basic

flavorings- vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Anything else goes.

                                 ----------

                              Ginger Lime Punch

                               by Carol Clark

      This recipe was originally published in July 1993 and introduced with

this: Carol Clark has been a member of the NFB since the mid-1960s. She is

currently the president of the Johnson County Chapter of the NFB of Kansas,

as well as a state board member.

Ingredients:

2 6-ounce cans frozen limeade concentrate

1 6-ounce can frozen lemonade concentrate

1 tablespoon chopped candied ginger

4 cups cold water

ice

1 large bottle of ginger ale, chilled

      Method: Pour concentrated limeade and lemonade into punch bowl; add

ginger. Chill for at least two hours to blend flavors. Add cold water and

ice. Pour ginger ale down sides of bowl. Fluted lemon slices, small lime

slices, and mint sprigs may be floated in punch. Yields twenty servings.

                                 ----------

                              Luncheon Dessert

                               by Alice Fornia

      This recipe was originally published in February 1972, where Alice

Fornia was described as an active member of the San Francisco Chapter of

the National Federation of the Blind of California.

Ingredients:

8 Heath candy bars

1 pint of Cool Whip

vanilla extract (optional)

12 lady fingers sliced in half

      Method: Crush or crumble Heath bars, be careful not to crush into

powder or too fine. Small chunks make a chewier filling. Use a blender, a

rolling pin, or cut into fine chunks with a paring knife. Line nine-inch

pie plate with halves of lady fingers. Combine crushed candy bars with Cool

Whip. Add vanilla to taste if desired. Spoon into lady-finger lined pie

plate and place in refrigerator. Filling will become firm and dessert can

be cut in pie-shaped pieces. Remember to keep dessert in refrigerator when

not serving.

                                 ----------

                            Apple Nut Quick Bread

      Originally published in May 1987, this recipe came from the Capitol

Chapter of the NFB of Ohio.

Ingredients:

3 cups whole wheat flour

3 eggs

2 tablespoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon ginger

1 teaspoon allspice

1 cup milk

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/4 cup melted butter

1 cup chopped nuts

2 cups fresh chopped apples

1 cup honey

      Method: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease nine-by-five-by-three-

inch loaf pan. Line bottom with waxed paper. Blend flour, baking powder,

cinnamon, ginger, and allspice together. Add honey, milk, and eggs. Blend

well. Add melted butter and beat. Add nuts and apples; mix well. Pour into

prepared pan. Bake fifty minutes to an hour.

                                 ----------

                                   Kuchen

                               by Tom Bickford

      From the December 1990 Monitor, this recipe had the following

introduction: Concerning his activities as a chef, Tom Bickford says: "The

second nicest thing my mother-in-law gave me was a set of recipes for

German coffee cake called Kuchen. My wife Virginia and her entire family

are of German origin, and they use the German pronunciation: two 'k'

sounds, and the 'u' sounds like the double 'o' in 'food'. Also, whichever

way the dough is topped off, it is still called Kuchen. Virginia tells me

that in her teen years she baked Kuchen every Saturday morning, and by

Sunday afternoon it was gone! In recent years I have taken up the weekend

baking and often bake a double batch, twice the amount given here, just so

I can get more than two or three rolls for myself. I admit that nothing

smells or tastes as good as freshly baked bread. It is very flattering to

have my family utter that smiling `mmm' and then help me eat up all my

work. Just as I share the Kuchen with my family, so I share the recipes

with you. Much love and good eating." -Tom Bickford, Sligo Creek Chapter,

NFB of Maryland.

Main Recipe for the Dough

Ingredients:

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk, scalded

6 tablespoons margarine

1/3 cup sugar

1-1/2 teaspoons salt

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1-1/2 to 2 packages dry yeast

5 to 5-1/2 cups flour

      Method: Scald the milk and set it aside to cool. In the meantime

cream together the margarine, sugar, and salt. Stir in the eggs. Pour in

the warm milk, and sprinkle the yeast over it. Stir to a smooth mixture.

Stir in two cups of flour. Stir in another 2-1/2 cups of flour. Spread 1/2

cup of flour over the kneading board before pouring out the dough. Knead

the dough about ten minutes to form a soft elastic dough. Put the dough in

a lightly-greased bowl, then turn the dough to coat all sides. Cover the

bowl with wax paper, then a dish towel, and put it in a warm place to rise.

Let rise about 1-1/2 hours or until the dough is three to four times the

original size. Shape the dough as described in the following recipes into

rolls, buns, or fruit upside-down cake. Put the dough in greased baking

pans and let rise in a warm place about forty-five minutes, or until it is

about double in size. Bake at 350 degrees for twenty to twenty-five

minutes, depending on the thickness of the shape. Makes about three dozen

rolls.

      Your imagination is the only limitation for the shaping and the

topping of this good dough.

Kuchen Toppings

      In our kitchen when we divide the once-risen dough into thirds, we

have suitable quantities for our cooking pans. Therefore, most of the

following recipes use one-third of the dough.

Fruit Upside-Down Coffee Cake (The Simplest)

      Into a greased nine-inch pan, square or round, pour one can of fruit

pie mix. My favorite is cherry. Roll or stretch one-third of the once-risen

dough to the size and shape to reach all edges of the pan. Let the dough

rise again in a warm place about forty-five minutes. Bake at 350 degrees

for about twenty minutes. Turn out onto a plate immediately after baking.

Apple Upside Down Coffee Cake (Even Better)

      Grease a nine-inch pan, square or round. In a separate bowl mix: 3/4

cup brown sugar, one tablespoon flour, and one teaspoon cinnamon. Spread

this mix over the bottom of the pan. For the next layer use three cooking

apples peeled, cored, and thinly sliced. Roll or stretch one-third of the

once-risen dough to fill the pan to the edges. Let the dough rise in a warm

place about forty-five minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for about twenty

minutes. Turn out onto a plate immediately after baking.

Caramel Pecan Rolls (My Favorite)

      First the gooey sauce. In a small saucepan simmer together for five

minutes: 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons margarine, 1 tablespoon white

corn syrup, and 1 tablespoon water. Chop 3/4 to 1 cup pecans and cover the

bottom of a greased nine-inch pan, deep dish if you have it, with the nuts.

Pour the sauce over the nuts.

      Prepare a separate mixture of 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1

teaspoon cinnamon. Melt 2 tablespoons margarine, and get out the pastry

brush.

      Now the rolls: With a rolling pin, roll out 1/3 of the once-risen

dough to a rectangle about 6 by 12 inches. Brush on the melted margarine,

and spread on the mixed brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll the dough into a

long stick. At this stage I stretch out the rolled dough to about 16

inches. With a sharp knife cut off sections two fingers wide, and lay them

(cut edge down) in the pan. Leave space for the dough to rise. Let the

dough rise in a warm place about 45 minutes.

Bake at 350 degrees for twenty to twenty-five minutes. You may want to

place a cookie sheet on the rack below to catch drips. Turn out the rolls

onto a plate immediately unless you like chipping out the pan with a mallet

and chisel. Makes one dozen rolls.

Half Cut Circles

      Roll out one-third of the once-risen dough into a rectangle six-by-

twelve-inches. Brush about 2 tablespoons of melted margarine over the

dough. Spread on a mixture of 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1 teaspoon

cinnamon. If you like, sprinkle with chopped nuts, raisins, or the like.

Roll the dough into a long stick. Place the dough on a lightly greased

baking sheet, and bend it into a circle. With a sharp knife, cut most but

not all the way through the dough, making the sections two fingers wide.

Bend alternate sections in and out of the circle. Let rise in a warm place

about 45 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for fifteen to twenty minutes. To

serve, break off sections at the cuts.

Buns in Patterns

      For this recipe you may use more or less than an even third of the

once-risen dough. Grab off lumps of dough the size of a ping-pong ball and

place them on a lightly greased baking sheet. Arrange them in a pattern,

perhaps a tree, and allow space for the dough to rise. Let rise in a warm

place about forty-five minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for fifteen to twenty

minutes. After the buns are cool, frost them with a mixture of 1 cup

powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons milk. You might include a drop or two of

food coloring. Exercise your imagination for designs and colors.

                                 ----------

                           Strawberry Almond Bars

                              by Sue Drapinski

      When this was originally published in February 1991, Sue Drapinski

was the treasurer of the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan.

Everyone who has tasted these cookies agrees that they are something

special.

Ingredients:

2 cups flour

1-1/2 cups oats (quick-cooking)

1 cup sugar

1 cup butter (or oleo)

1/2 cup jam (strawberry, raspberry, peach, or apricot)

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

2/3 cup slivered almonds

      Method: Mix together the first four ingredients until crumbly, and

set aside two cups of the mixture. Press the rest evenly across the bottom

of an ungreased nine-by-thirteen-inch pan. Stir together the jam with the

almond extract and spread evenly on the crust. Next mix almonds with the

reserved crumbly mixture and spread evenly across the top, pressing gently.

Bake at 350 degrees for thirty minutes. Cool completely and cut into bars.

                                 ----------

                             Monitor Miniatures

      News from the Federation Family

Braille Book Fair 2017:

Calling all Braille readers, teachers, and parents!

      It's that time again: Time to sort through all those boxes of Braille

books and donate those gently used but no longer needed Braille books to

the 2017 Braille Book Fair sponsored by the National Organization of

Parents of Blind Children.

      Our primary goal is to get more Braille books into the hands of

children, youth, and beginning adult readers, so

    . print/Braille story books (aka Twin Vision)

    . books in good condition

    . leisure reading (fiction or nonfiction) books

      Children are so hungry for their very own books that every year,

despite generous donations of books, most of our books for young children

are gone in less than an hour. So, begin your search through the boxes in

your basement and spare room and get those books shipped to: 2017 Braille

Book Fair, National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street at

Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD 21230.

      Please note that you are shipping the books FREE MATTER FOR THE

BLIND; you do not need to pay shipping cost for Braille items. Hand write,

stamp or affix a label to the upper right hand corner of the box stating:

FREE MATTER FOR THE BLIND. Take your package(s) to your local post office.

There is no shipping fee for Free Matter for the Blind when mailed through

the post office.

Blindness: Learning In New Dimensions (BLIND) Inc.

Post-secondary Readiness Empowerment Program (PREP) 2017

Learning+Recreation+Friends+Job=A Great Summer

Apply today to PREP 2017, a summer program for all blind/low vision high

school students!

When: June 11-August 5, 2017

Where: BLIND Inc.: 100 East 22nd St., Minneapolis, Minnesota 55404

Application deadline: April 15, 2017

      What: This exciting 8-week summer program is designed to prepare

students to reach their personal, academic, and professional goals as they

transition to adulthood.  The PREP curriculum empowers blind youth as they

learn the alternative techniques of blindness and develops the self-

confidence needed to become successful adults!

      Instruction: The core classes include Braille reading and writing,

independent cane travel, adaptive technology, career exploration, and home

management, which includes cooking, cleaning, personal care, and daily

living skills. Students also participate in regularly-scheduled discussion

groups designed to build confidence and learn from blind peers and adults.

PREP students live with fellow students and adult counselors in modern

apartments with free Wi-Fi. Counselors and instructors serve as successful

and positive role models. Students shop for groceries, prepare meals, and

clean their apartments as part of their home and personal management

training, while using public transportation on a daily basis. They begin to

learn how to live independently while still in a supportive environment.

Students develop problem-solving skills needed to take care of themselves

and determine their own future!

      Getting A Job: This program includes a three-week paid internship

experience. Students will utilize the skills they have developed while

earning minimum wage, working approximately 20 hours per week in local

businesses and agencies.

      National Convention: In July, PREP 2017 students will enjoy the

exciting opportunity by accompanying BLIND Inc. staff and adult students as

we travel to Orlando, Florida, to attend the week-long National Federation

of the Blind convention. During this convention, our PREP students will

join hundreds of other high school and college students from around the

country when attending the National Association of Blind Students meeting.

Students will also attend other meetings and seminars, learn about new

groundbreaking technology, and get involved in social and recreational

activities. This annual convention is packed full of great learning

opportunities and fun experiences.

      Other Activities: Throughout the summer, the PREP students will also

participate in a variety of fun activities, including going to Wild

Mountain Water Park, camping, rock climbing, shopping at various malls, and

much more. Don't worry; there will be plenty of time to hang out with old

and new friends!

      Contact Michell Gip, youth services coordinator, at 612-872-0100,

ext. 231, or email mgip at blindinc.org for more information or an

application. We can assist you to work with your local vocational

rehabilitation agency to attend the program.

      Information about our summer programs can also be found at

https://www.blindinc.org/programs/summer/

      Apply today to ensure your space in this program! Applications are due

by April 15.

Elected:

      The Central Florida Chapter of the NFB of Florida elected the

following officers at their November meeting to serve a two-year term:

president, Sherri Brun; vice president, Marilyn Baldwin; secretary, Jerry

Heichelbeck; treasurer, James Evans; board members, Paulette Williams, Dan

Weiner, and Don Wilkerson.

Elected:

      The following members were elected for one-year terms at the Treasure

State (Montana) At-Large Chapter meeting on February 9, 2017: president,

Rik James; vice president, Travis Moses; secretary, Joy Breslauer;

treasurer, Linda Hurlock.

                                  In Brief

      Notices and information in this section may be of interest to Monitor

readers. We are not responsible for the accuracy of the information; we

have edited only for space and clarity.

BlindSquare Friends, Tell Your Story:

      The folks at BlindSquare are launching a contest intended to bring

voice and reward to BlindSquare friends.

      BlindSquare often hears stories from NFB friends and others, either

about discovering new and important benefits of BlindSquare or simply to

tell how wonderful this technology is and how it has changed their lives.

The transformation of dependence to independence, the elevation from

movement-of-self to joyful steps, the evolution of travel from planned

routes to the freedom of choice-all are wonderful and, for us all, very

encouraging.

      BlindSquare would like to provide a way to capture these stories more

formally-this contest is the first step. BlindSquare will also provide

awards for those who told their stories well. This won't necessarily be

measured in volume or fancy prose but perhaps the simple capture of a happy

result.

      If you want to participate or help promote this fun contest, check

out BlindSquare My Story Contest at

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScbKm9XhsqWbwPCEZXBHxQGw5NWVFlECqQI

SvC5ypeGQ6mZDA/viewform. The form will gather teacher/sponsor information

for the hundreds of BlindSquare friends under the age of eighteen. Contest

ends April 1.

                                 ----------

                                 NFB Pledge

      I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National

Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for

the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to

abide by its constitution.

Forwarded by:

Brian A. Mackey

Brian A. Mackey

Owner, Mackey Enterprises, LLC

Treasurer & Webmaster, National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

Member, National Federation of the Blind (NFB) Blind Users Innovating &
Leading Design (BUILD) Team

609-953-6988

 <mailto:Bmackey88 at gmail.com> Bmackey88 at gmail.com

"Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make
those dreams come true"

      -Vince Papale