[NFBNJ] Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest Don't Hesitate

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 28 02:38:40 UTC 2017

Greetings to all!

We are proud to announce the Braille Readers Are Leaders contest for
students from K-12.
Please read and share  with others.
The information is pasted and attached.
Promotion is the Key!

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

***
Braille Readers Are Leaders (BRAL) Contest

New Jersey’s BELL Academy (Braille Enrichment for Learning and Literacy) and
the Parents of Blind Children of New Jersey (POBCNJ) have hooked up with NFB
of Illinois (NFBI) and the National Association to Promote the Use of
Braille (NAPUB) to offer a nationwide contest opportunity to New Jersey’s
children, from Kindergarten through 12th grade.

Details:
•    Start reading on December 15th.
•    Each interested student must have a certifying official (parent,
teacher, etc.).
•    Registration forms can be submitted up to February 18th.
•    There are five grade categories: K–1, 2–3, 4–5, 6–8, & 9–12.
•    Contestants compete to read the most Braille pages, going against other
kids in similar grades across all participating states.
•    Participants record Braille pages read in the seven weeks between
December 15, 2017 and February 1, 2018 on a reading log.
•    The certifying official must submit the completed reading log by
February 10, 2018.
•    Prizes in each grade category are: first $25, second $15, third $10.
•    Every contestant, whether winner or not, will receive a “goodie bag”
containing Braille-related items at the the end of the contest.
•    The complete contest rules, registration form, and the reading log form
are available on the NFBI website, http://www.nfbofillinois.org
•    Both the registration form and the reading log form will be submitted
by each certifying official as an attachment to an email to Deborah Stein,
NFB of Illinois, who will act as the contest administrator.

In addition to awards in the five grade categories, the Kelly Doty Award is
given to a student who has met unusual challenges in order to learn and read
Braille. Such challenges include, but are not limited to, having other
disabilities in addition to blindness or being an English language learner.
If applicable the certifying official needs to note on the registration form
that the applicant should be considered for this award.

Competition is a great motivator, and Braille readers truly are leaders!

If you have any questions, feel free to contact either Robert Gardner,
Chair, NFBI Braille Literacy Committee: rgardner4 at gmail.com; phone
309-236-6606, or Deborah Stein, Contact Administrator, Nationwide BRAL
Contest for Kids: dkent5817 at att.net; phone 773-203-1394.