[NFBNJ] register ready brochure inside friends

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 13 21:41:03 UTC 2018

Greetings to all!
Hoping you never need however, always great to be ready for any emergency.
Prior and proper participation prevents poor performance!

Received from Jane Degenshein, President, Senior and Technology Division of
the NFBNJ.
Coordinator of ECHO, Eyes Closed Hearts Open!

nfbnj1 at verizon.net
www.nfbnj.org
Raising Expectations To Live The Life You Want.

    Hello all
Our presentation at Tavern 292 was a huge success and as apromised Kelly
Boyd did in fact, send me the register ready brochure for us!
Copy it and put it on your fridge
Here it is:
Register Ready_1.pdf
What else can I do to get ready?
1. Prepare a Go Bag.
Assemble a readiness kit with personal
ID, important papers, medications, and
telephone numbers of important contacts.
Remember, medications have expiration
dates, so it is important to keep your
readiness kit updated.
2. Make a Household Plan.
Free Self-Preparedness Guides and
Checklists are available from your County
Office of Emergency Management, as well
as the New Jersey Office of Emergency
Management. Your plan should identify
places to stay if you must evacuate.
3. Make Plans for Your Pets.
Shelters are only for people and service
animals. Make arrangements for your pets
before an emergency.
4. Tune to Your Local News.
Stay tuned to your local radio or television
stations for timely notices.
Register today to be ready
for tomorrow!
What is the
NJ Special Needs Registry?
The NJ Special Needs Registry is
designed to help emergency responders
locate and safely evacuate people who
could find it difficult to help themselves
in the event of
a major disaster,
such as a hurricane.
The NJ Special Needs
Registry is . . .
free
voluntary
strictly confidential
protective of your privacy
a way to protect you in a
major emergency
Who should register?
You (or someone on your behalf) should
register if you may find it difficult to get
to safety with family or friends, or to a
public shelter during an emergency
evacuation, because of a physical or
cognitive limitation, language barrier, or
lack of transportation.
Who sees Registry information?
You will only be asked for information
necessary to get you to the safest place
possible, if you have no other means to
evacuate.
The NJ Special Needs Registry complies
with all laws to protect your privacy and
confidential information. Our only goal is to
keep you and your loved ones safe.
How can I register?
Log onto www.registerready.nj.gov
Telephone 2-1-1, toll-free.
Telephone your County Office of
Emergency Management.
Mail a completed paper form to
your County Office of Emergency
Management.
Where can I get Registry help?
Call New Jersey's toll-free 2-1-1
telephone service for registration help,
translation, and TTY/TDD services.
Tell me about evacuation.
Your first choice should be to move
to a safe location with family or friends.
Make those plans in advance. The
availability of public shelters will
depend on the size and scope of the
emergency.
A caregiver should accompany you to
your pre-selected location or a public
shelter, if possible. Make a back-up
evacuation plan, in case your caregiver
is unavailable.
Look for this Register Ready logo in
the newspaper, on the Internet, and
throughout your community for more
preparedness information.
Keep Smiling,
Janie Degenshein
Happiness isn't having what you want, but wanting what you already have!
Facilitator of ECHO (Eyes Closed Hearts Open)
state affiliate board member
President of the senior division of the National Federation of the Blind of
New Jersey
President of the Technology division of the National federation of the Blind
of New Jersey
NFBNJ Newsline co-ordinator
jdegen16 at comcast.net