[NFBNJ] NFB President's notebook January 22 2018

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 23 00:43:59 UTC 2018

Greetings to all!
As state president, I receive the President’s Notebook each week.  With this
said, I have pasted several items of interest for our membership.
Thanks for all you do.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

For review:
I wanted to alert you to the fact that some of our national divisions have
received fake emails that look like communications between our division
president and the division treasurer. These emails often attempt to
authorize a payment for something. Although I am not aware of any affiliates
receiving these false communications, I urge all divisions and affiliates to
be sure that the authorization procedures are clear and tightly followed. I
also urge you to share fake emails with me so we can determine if any
patterns exist. In the world of electronic communications, we should
continue to be very careful about the management of our information and our
finances to ensure that we cannot be hacked.

News:
Autos2050SM Award:
This Wednesday, I will be receiving one of the inaugural Autos2050SM awards
being presented by the Auto Alliance and the Alliance for Transportation
Innovation. The award is in recognition of the work of the National
Federation of the Blind, and we will be among twelve state and national
political leaders and automotive innovators who will be honored at a dinner
and awards presentation in Washington, DC. The award recognizes our work to
influence the direction of autonomous vehicle technology so that it will
enhance the independence and mobility of blind people. More information can
be found in our press release.

Great Gathering-In on Facebook Live:
If you cannot attend the Great Gathering-In at Washington Seminar next
Monday, January 29, you can still be part of the action via Facebook Live.
We will be streaming the Great Gathering-In on the National Federation of
the Blind Facebook page beginning at 5:00 p.m. eastern, and I invite you to
tune in.

The January Braille Monitor is now available:

I’d like to call to your attention an article I wrote for the January
Braille Monitor, “Ending Accreditation without Authenticity: A Call to
Action for the Fourth Generation of the Federation.” I encourage our members
to read the article and take action via email and social media to urge AER
to end NAC. You can read the entire Braille Monitor online.

New Nation’s Blind Podcast Bonus Series:

We’ve created a bonus series of the Nation’s Blind Podcast called
“Government Affairs of the Blind (GAB) Session,” wherein members of our
government affairs team break down some of our legislative priorities. The
first three episodes are available now and cover three of our Washington
Seminar issues: H.R. 620, ATAA, and AIM High.

Presidential Release Transcripts:
Each month when the Presidential Release is recorded and posted to the NFB
website, we also post the links to the English and Spanish transcripts. This
is particularly useful for our deaf-blind members.

Sponsor Links:
Sponsorship forms are now available for both the 2018 NFB National
Convention and the Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium.

Dates ToKeep in Mind:

  a.. January 29, 2018: Great Gathering-In
  b.. January 28-February 1, 2018: Washington Seminar
  c.. March 22-23, 2018: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium
  d.. March 31, 2018: Deadline for scholarship applications,
www.nfb.org/scholarships
  e.. April 15, 2018: Deadline for 2018 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award competition
  f.. July 3-8, 2018: National Federation of the Blind National Convention,
Orlando, Florida
  g.. July 29-August 4, 2018: NFB EQ

blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono

President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work