[NFBNJ] National Purple Heart Day , August 7, 2018

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 29 20:52:14 UTC 2018

Greetings to all!
Received from Dwight Sayer, President, National Association of Blind
Veterans, a proud division of the National Federation of the Blind.
Please read and share with others.
Let’s reflect on August 7 and everyday for the sacrifice made by Purple
Heart recipients.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

****

Washington, D.C. - U.S. Senators Susan Collins (R-ME) and Joe Manchin (D-WV)
announced today that their resolution in support of National Purple Heart
Recognition Day on August 7th passed the Senate unanimously. The bipartisan
resolution was cosponsored by a total of 23 Senators. Purple Heart Day
recognizes the sacrifices of those who have earned the Purple Heart Medal
and is commemorated each year on the anniversary of George Washington
creating the "Badge for Military Merit," the precursor to the Purple Heart.

The resolution supports the goals and ideals of National Purple Heart
Recognition Day, encourages citizens to learn about the history of the
Purple Heart Medal, and requests that the president issue an annual
proclamation calling on the people of the U.S. to demonstrate support for
Purple Heart recipients.

"The Purple Heart is a reminder that freedom is a gift purchased at the
greatest possible price," said Senator Collins. "I am delighted that the
Senate unanimously passed our resolution, which encourages all Americans to
learn the history of this important military award and to understand and
honor the sacrifices of the many men and women in uniform who have earned
the Purple Heart."

"Just as the Purple Heart Medal has held a special meaning to its millions
of recipients and their families, it also has special significance to me and
my family," Senator Collins continued.  "My father, who died earlier this
year, was a proud World War II veteran who was wounded twice during the
Battle of the Bulge.  He earned two Purple Hearts and the Bronze Star, and
it was from him that I first learned to honor and respect our veterans."

"Our service men and women who bravely put their lives on the line deserve
the most distinguished medals our military can award. The Purple Heart is a
symbol of the sacrifice our military members have made. Establishing August
7th as National Purple Heart Recognition Day honors the recipients of this
award and encourages every American citizen to take a moment and appreciate
the sacrifices they have made so we can all live free," Senator Manchin
said.

"For the second year in a row, Senator Collins and Senator Manchin have
honored Purple Heart recipients everywhere with their resolution supporting
National Purple Heart Recognition Day," said Neil Van Ess, National
Commander of Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH).  "The Purple Heart
is our national symbol of military sacrifice, and it is most appropriate
that all Americans should have a day to recognize those who earned it
throughout history. MOPH deeply thanks Senators Collins and Manchin for once
again making that a reality."

The resolution was also cosponsored by U.S. Senators Jon Tester (D-MT),
Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Ed Markey (D-MA), Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), Cindy
Hyde-Smith (R-MS), Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Gary Peters (D-MI), John Boozman
(R-AR), Tina Smith (D-MN), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Joni Ernst (R-IA), James
Inhofe (R-OK), John Thune (R-SD), Jerry Moran (R-KS), Steve Daines (R-MT),
Mike Rounds (R-SD), Marco Rubio (R-FL), Todd Young (R-IN), Chris Van Hollen
(D-MD), Bill Nelson (D-FL), Joe Donnelly (D-IN), and Dianne Feinstein
(D-CA).

Related Issues:
Veterans <https://www.collins.senate.gov/issues/veterans>

Dwight D. Sayer
President,
P.O. Box 784957
Winter Garden, Fl.  34778
Phone  (321) 948-1466
Fax  (352) 363-2515
<mailto:president at nabv.org> president at nabv.org
<http://www.nabv.org/> www.nabv.org

"Life is  not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a  pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside,  thoroughly used up,totally worn out, and
loudly proclaiming  --
WOW-- What a Ride!"

If you agree with the above statement, please go to:
<http://www.gofundme.com/BlindChildren> www.gofundme.com/BlindChildren