[NFBNJ] Monthly Notes From NFBNJ Joe Ruffalo President, June 2018

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 16 23:47:11 UTC 2018

Greetings!
Please read and share with others.
To all who are fathers, please enjoy the day with your family!
Share old memories, create new memories!

nfbnj1 at verizon.net
www.nfbnj.org
Raising Expectations To Live The Life You Want!Your old car keys can be keys
to literacy for the blind.

****

Greetings to all!

As we enter the last days of spring and prepare for the hopeful hot days of
summer, I thank you for your continued support to raise expectations to live
the life we want.

I offer several items of interest for all to share with others.

Note: As we prepare for the national convention in Orlando in July, be
mindful of the 42nd state convention, Live The Life You Want; Blind With
Vision, to be held from Thursday, November 1st through Sunday, November 4th
at the:
Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel
515 US Highway Route 1 South
Iselin, New Jersey 08830
Phone: 732-634-3600
Access Link accessible, Cross street: Gill Lane

We update the state convention page as new updates become available and
therefore, please visit the state convention page at

www.nfbnj.org/state-convention <http://www.nfbnj.org/state-convention>

Items of Interest:

1. Six Dot Dash Remarks

2. Federal and State Parks Discount Information

3. General Information - National Convention

4. Passing Of Two Members

5. Technology Tips

****

1.    The following email was forwarded to Linda Melendez, member of the
affiliate board and President of the Sports and Recreation Division of the
NFBNj  thanking her and all that attended the 6 Dot Dash Walk/Run in
Baltimore on Sunday, June 3. The NFBNJ team, We Got This, won first place
with the largest team and we also took last place with the last person
crossing the finish line slightly under 2 hours.  I could provide a hint or
two who that person was; however, you probably can figure it out with his
initials, JR. Hey, at least I finished.  GRIN!

The following email was forwarded by me to Linda.

    Greetings Linda!

Congratulations on the successful Six Dot Dash activity held in Baltimore on
Sunday, June 3rd.

With your leadership, hard work and cooperation from those that attended and
participated, super job to all!

You were challenged with last minute solutions that seemed to defeat this
opportunity; however, finding the solution and making a difference, the
NFBNJ team, We Got This, was heading towards Baltimore.

Again, congratulations!

Every step I took was one step closer to the finish line; however, we never
finish as the finish line should become our new starting line.

Every step I took was a step closer for Braille literacy for all.

Every step I took was in memory for all that came before us to make our
lives easier than the generation that came before us.

every step I took was a step for the next generation that is learning that
it is respectable to be blind.

Every step I took wants me to share the gift of the Federation.

Every step I took with my Federation family to raise expectations to live
the life we want was a step of joy!

****

2. Received from Dawn Ferrara, Board member, Sports and Recreation Division.

She is a new member of the NFBNJ and continues to think outside of the box
to get all motivated to challenge all to live the life we want and to  be
participants!

The link below is for Union County's Pool in Rahway.  You do NOT have to be
a Union County resident in order to use this facility.  If you are from
Union County (with ID) there is a discounted fee, opposed to those from
outside the County.  It really is a great price.  AND, they have Monday &
Wednesday Night swim from 5:40pm-7pm for seniors and persons with
disabilities for FREE!!!  It is also access link accessible. Not sure if you
all know this, so I will put it out there.  You can obtain a form that your
doctor can fill out.

This information will be posted on the state website on the sports and
recreation division calendar of events . Please visit,
www.nfbnj.org/sports-and-recreation-calendar
<http://www.nfbnj.org/sports-and-recreation-calendar> .

If a doctor fills it out for people with disabilities and mails it to the
address on the form, they will receive a pass that will allow them (& the
car that they are in) to enter the state park for free (ex. Swartswood Lake.
there is a list on the site)...and then if this pass is shown at the office
of any federal park (ex. Sandy Hook), they will receive (&the car they are
in a reduced rate into any Federal Park.

http://ucnj.org/parks-recreation/pools/admission-fees/

Get out in the world and participate!

****

3. General information about the convention, including hotel details, can be
found on https://nfb.org/convention.

Convention Announcements:

Once again this year, we will have a place to post exhibit hall/fundraising
announcements so as not to overwhelm our members' inboxes. Affiliates,
divisions, exhibitors, and sponsors can post their announcements via the
submission form at https://nfb.org/convention/exhibitannouncements. All
posted announcements will be displayed at
https://nfb.org/convention/exhibits. This will allow for filtering based on
the following categories: affiliate, division, exhibitor, or sponsor.

For those attending the national convention, please review the agenda before
signing up to volunteer to work the affiliate table in the exhibit hall.
Please  contact Mac Biggers at 801 916 9753 or macbiggers at yahoo.com
<mailto:macbiggers at yahoo.com> .  In addition, after reviewing the agenda and
signing up for the affiliate table, please consider volunteering a shift for
the Independence Market. Please contact Patricia Maurer at 410 659 9314
extension 2272 or email, pmaurer at nfb.org <mailto:pmaurer at nfb.org> .

****

4. We will miss Gary and Amo:

Recently, two of our members have passed, Gary Lemberg in March and
AmoMusharreff in May. Both were in their forties and taken from us much too
soon.

After the passing of Gary, I forwarded an email to the distribution list to
inform all with the details of his funeral. I have provided information last
week pertaining to Amo as a celebration of his life.   This celebration was
held on Saturday, June 16.

The information was forwarded prior to the June notes however, it is
provided here for your reflections.

Please join us for a memorial celebration of Amo Musharraf, Co-Founder of
Blind Athletes Inc, on Saturday June 16, noon to 2pm, at Buccleuch Park, 321
Easton Ave, New Brunswick, NJ 08901.

We will be gathering at the pavilion, in the park that was very special to
him. There will be snacks, and beverages, and a chance to share stories and
remembrances.

>From 12:15 to 1:00 there'll be an opportunity to say a few words. At 1:00,
we will be walking the path that circumnavigates the park.

Rain date, June 17, same times, same place

If you are interested in helping out, or in saying a few words that day,
then please contact Pat McKenna, cpmckenna at familyresourcenetwork.org
<mailto:cpmckenna at familyresourcenetwork.org%3cmailto:cpmckenna at familyresourc
enetwork.org>

A donation page link below has been made to cover expenses. All proceeds
will go to Blind Athletes Inc

Blind Athletes Inc PayPal account

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick
<https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=7A8A5Z
K64HTM8> &hosted_button_id=7A8A5ZK64HTM8

If you prefer mailing a check,

Payable to: Blind Athletes Inc

Mail to:

Blind Athletes Inc

c/o Jennifer Demby

1 Lafayette Street

Wharton, NJ 07885-2117

A memorial book is being assembled of quotes, passages, and memories. If you
have a quote, or a memory you'd like included, please email to

ahall at familyresourcenetwork.org <mailto:ahall at familyresourcenetwork.org>

I have provided my thoughts for a memory book with submissions from the
Employment Development guidance Engagement, EDGE, program.

Subject: My Contribution Fw: Amo's Memory Book

Greetings!

Please consider the following as my contribution to Amo's memory book!

**

Dear Amo!

I know that your name means love however, each letter has a mening for all
to consider.

A: attitude that is positive

M: motivation in your self to assist others

O: optimistic planning and preparation

My friend, rest in peace as we continue to remember your kindness, effort to
assist others with inspiration, education and motivation.

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey will be honoring you at
this years state convention, Live The Life You Want; Blind With Vision, with
a scholarship to be presented to an EDGE participant!

There will be a spot in my heart to place your compassion to others in order
that I will do the same.

Every time I eat a piece of chocolate candy, I will think of you

May God Bless You!

With Much Respect,

Joe Ruffalo

****

5. Technology Tips For June 2018:

Forwarded by Jane Degenshein, President, Technology Division, NFBNJ.

iOS and Technology News

The Apple iOS has a native "News"," an app where you can read current
articles on topics from various newspapers, magazines, or news agencies. You
can search for topics like "iOS" and then "love" the article or topic. News
will compile these articles into a channel where you read them with
VoiceOver. You can also Google for iOS updates.

--------------

AppleVis Accessible iOS apps, news & guides for blind and vision-impaired
VoiceOver users

http://www.applevis.com

---

Hadley Institute for the Blind and Visually Impaired "iFocus" Instructional
Videos Hadley.edu.Videos <https://www.hadley.edu/InstructionalVideos.asp>

Hadley Institute Instructional Videos:

http://hadley.edu/InstructionalVideos.asp#iFocus

The Hadley Institute for the Blind and Visually Impaired has developed
iFocus, a series of instructional videos that teaches you how to use your
iDevice.

Again to all! Enjoy the summer, enjoy the  challenge to participate, enjoy
the gift of the Federation.

254 Spruce Street

Bloomfield, New Jersey  07003

973 743 0075