[NFBNJ] Updates For Review Seven Items Of Interest

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 14 18:35:15 UTC 2018

Greetings to all!
Please read through carefully the seven items of interest.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net
www.nfbnj.org
Raising Expectations To Live The Life You Want!Your old car keys can be keys
to literacy for the blind.

***
>From the desk of NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo.

Greetings to all!

I want to thank all that provided their time, effort, resources and support
with the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey’s 42nd state
convention, Live The Life You Want; Blind With Vision the best NFBNJ state
convention on record.

The hotel staff, volunteers, those that organized others to provide service
and guidance to those that needed veterans knowledge, those that attended
for the first time, to those that purchased NFB shirts, brought raffle
tickets, participated with obtaining door prizes and or auction items and
for those that spent funds with purchasing such items.  A special thanks to
the committee that surprised me with a commemorative book honoring my 25
years as your president.  Additional details pertaining to this book are
located in this email.

Again, thanks to all, get plenty of rest as we begin to plan for the 43rd
state convention, Live The Life You Want;We Got This!

Items of Interest:

  1.. Giving Tuesday
  2.. My overview Of  The State Convention And YouTube Links
  3.. Photographs
  4.. Testimonies
  5.. NFB Shirts
  6.. Commemorative Book Honoring Joe Ruffalo And 25 Years As Your President
  7.. Location, Dates And Cost For The 2019 State Convention

  1.. Giving Tuesday
Vee Gaspa and Zoraida Krell are leading a fund raising effort called "Giving
Tuesday".

Giving Tuesday is a global day of giving, celebrated in the U.S. on the
first Tuesday after Thanksgiving and encourages philanthropy and generosity
during the Holiday Season. You can participate by making a charitable
donation to the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey at any time
during the month of November. The money raised will be used for Educational
and Outreach Programs to help Blind People in the State of New Jersey to
Live the Life They Want. Please share with your friends and family.

Where?   www.nfbnj.org/giving-tuesday-donations

<http://www.nfbnj.org/giving-tuesday-donations>

When?  Giving Tuesday Started on Tuesday, November 6 and runs through the
month of November 2018

Who?  We ask all members to participate by sharing this information with
friends and family. Full member participation is the key to success in
everything we do.  You give what you can, if you can't give that is ok too,
pass it on to your friends, share it on Facebook. This will make this fund
raiser another  success for the National Federation of the Blind of New
Jersey!

Thank you for your efforts!

Submitted By:

Ellen Sullivan, Secretary

NFBNJ

****

  2.. My Overview Of The State Convention and Youtube Links
Thanks to all that assisted with the preparation, planning, pre registration
and agenda committees for making the convention the best ever.  A special
thanks to the affiliate board and to the members in the Sports and
Recreation Division for hosting the 42nd state convention, Live The Life You
Want; Blind With Vision.

For those that attended and or those not able to attend, see below.

Grab a cup of tea or coffee, sit back and enjoy.

Personal Note: I want to thank all who have supported me as your affiliate
president for the past 25 years.  I was re elected for another two year term
and hope to provide my knowledge, ideas and support to each other as we will
be passing the torch of leadership in 2020.

The following are the YouTube videos from the 42nd NFBNJ State Convention.

Morning General Session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIC-yz2nUdE

Afternoon General Session: Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtGbhUiPuhQ

Afternoon General Session Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRGTneHWcj4

Banquet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpiY6L0JtFY

Thanks to Henry Young, Employment Development Guidance Engagement, EDGE,
student for Saturday’s streaming.

Submitted By:

BrianMackey, Webmaster

**

  3.. Photographs
If you took photographs at the state convention, please forward to Carol
Castellano at blindchildren at verizon.net

Please do so by no later than November 20.  After review, we will post
several on the state website.

***

  4.. Testimonies
If you wish to write a testimony pertaining to your experience attending the
state convention, please do so by no later than November 20.

The committee will be reviewing and posting several on the state website.

You can write what you learned, what you taught, why did you attend, how can
you encourage others to attend, etc.

****

  5.. NFBNJ Shirts
 Hello everyone,

Those who attended  the convention now know we have NFB t shirts & polos for
sale. For those who haven't seen them yet,  they are red with our tagline  &
logo printed sharply in white. The T shirt is a soft cotton blend and the
polo a  polyester. They are available in mens sizes S-XL and can be ordered
in size 2x-4x. With either, or both  you can treat yourself or someone you
love to a gift as the holidays are fast approaching. The T shirts are $19,
the polos are $24 with individual shipping included. Another option is a
group shipment with the use of a flat rate box.

All orders must be paid in advance. Please make checks payable to: NFBNJ
(print shirts in the memo).

Don’t forget to provide size or sizes and type of shirts.  Also include your
phone number to verify the order.

special Note For Chapter Presidents: Taking sizes from your chapter members
and making check payable to NFBNJ will assist with the shipping process with
the box of shirts to be delivered to you for distribution for upcoming
meetings.

product will be shipped weekly after receiving payment.

Send orders & payments to:

Anne Marie Harris

27 Mc Clelland Avenue

Pitman NJ  08071

(Questions call 856) 589-8747

***

  6.. Commemorative Book

Fundraiser:  Joe’s Joke Book to honor his 25 years as president of the
National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey is now available for
purchase. This book is available in three formats; each book contains the
same material except pictures are only available in the large print hard
cover book.

Format 1:  8 and a half by 10 large print hard covered 40 page book of Joe’s
jokes, stories, aliases and over 25 pictures with a description of each
picture. This book was professionally created with Shutterfly and the cost
is $75.00 each and there are only 5 books left.

Format:  8 and a half by 10 Braille book is approximately 46 pages of Joe’s
jokes, stories, and aliases and over 25 described pictures printed by our
National Office. Cost is $25.00 each and there are only 2 books left.

Format 3:  Narrated audio version created by the New Jersey Talking Book and
Braille Center of Joe’s jokes, stories, and aliases and over 25 described
pictures.  Cost is $25.00 and there are only 8 USB thumb drives bracelets
left.

To make a purchase please contact Linda Melendez at 732-421-7063 or by email
at lindamelendez220 at gmail.com. Linda will need your mailing address and once
your order has been confirmed by Linda Melendez make check or money order
payable to NFBNJ and in the memo section write Joe & Rose Fund.  Mail
payments to our state affiliate treasurer Andrew Rees at 129 Drake Road,
Somerset NJ  08873. All money from this fundraiser will be appropriated to
the Joe & Rose Scholarship Fund.  Once payment is confirmed Linda will ship
your order.

****

  7.. Hot Off The Press!
Linda, Judy and I held a meeting on Monday, November 12  at the hotel in
Woodbridge, the site of the 42nd state convention .

I am pleased to announce the location, dates and cost for the 43rd state
convention, Live The Life You Want; We Got This!

Site: The Renaissance WoodbridgeHotel!

Dates: Thursday, November 7 through Sunday, November 10, 2019

Cost: $115 per night, pus tax

Includes a full chef’s breakfast for those staying overnight or overnights.

Details will be forthcoming with when reserving rooms can be made.

We have kept the same cost for pre registration, Friday dinner and Saturday
banquet.

There will be a slight charge for students over the age of 12.

****

Hoping all will enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday!