[NFBNJ] NFB President’s Notebook - week of 09/17/2018

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 19 03:47:37 UTC 2018

    Greetings to all!
Each week the presidents of the affiliates and other leaders in the
Federation receive the President’s Notebook.
I have pasted items of importance for your interest with raising
expectations to live the life we want!

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

****

President’s Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
(410) 659-9314

Fellow Federationists:

As the fall convention season begins to swing into high gear, there are a
number of things to keep at the top of our priority list. I am sure you are
all eager to know about our members in North Carolina. I have talked with
our affiliate president and as far as we know, none of our members have been
physically harmed, but many members lived in areas completely devastated by
Hurricane Florence. Our members who have been impacted the most have not yet
been able to return to their homes to assess the damage. As with our
hurricane relief efforts last year, we are prepared to help but it will take
time to assess where that help is most needed. If you wish to make
contributions to the Federation's hurricane relief project, you can use the
general donation form at nfb.org and indicate hurricane relief project as a
comment.

We have previously mentioned the site access for Aira at all NFB state
conventions. Gary Wunder is managing some of our relationship with Aira. If
you have questions about Aira, about distributing the information in
affiliate communications, or about Aira participation at your convention,
please speak with him at gwunder at nfb.orgmailto:gwunder at nfb.org.

Today is September 18 and the Baltimore Orioles are honoring the National
Federation of the Blind this evening. If you are not able to be there in
person, I hope you will share the information about the online auction of
the first Braille jerseys to be used by a professional sports team, found at
orioles.com/auctions<http://orioles.com/auctions>. Furthermore, you should
consider putting in a bid. Today is also my mother's birthday—she is an
active member of the National Federation of the Blind of Wisconsin. I will
be celebrating Mom's birthday by throwing out the first pitch at the game
tonight. Happy birthday, Mom!

News:
Advocacy Update:
Thank you for all of your calls and emails regarding the Marrakesh Treaty
Implementation Act (S. 2559) and the Access Technology Affordability Act
(H.R. 1734/S. 732). Regarding Marrakesh, Neil Romano, chair of the National
Council on Disability and presidential appointee, has written a letter to
House leadership urging them to pass the Marrakesh Treaty Implementation
Act. Mr. Romano spoke at our most recent convention and his letter can be
found at
https://ncd.gov/publications/2018/ncd-letter-house-judiciary-committee-and-house-leadership-regarding-marrakesh.

Regarding the ATAA, we are up to thirteen cosponsors in the Senate and we
are hoping to get the score from the Joint Committee on Taxation later this
week.
Please continue to call Chairman Goodlatte and urge him to discharge the
Marrakesh Treaty Implementation Act back to the full House, and please also
call your representatives and urge them to cosponsor H.R. 1734. If you need
additional information, you can email John Pare at
jpare at nfb.org<mailto:jpare at nfb.org>, or reach him by phone at 410-659-9314,
extension 2218.

Meet the Blind Month:
Meet the Blind Month is upon us! We would like to create a new page listing
the 2018activities. Please email events you have planned to
kanderson at nfb.org<mailto:kanderson at nfb.org> or share them with us via social
media, and we’ll add them to our website<https://nfb.org/meet-blind-month>.
We have updated White Cane Awareness
Day<https://nfb.org/white-cane-awareness-day> web content. You may use the
www.nfb.org/wcad<http://www.nfb.org/wcad> URL in local communications if you
wish. Please be on the lookout for an email later this week with more
details and resources regarding October events.

Dream Makers Circle:
Building the Federation for the Next Generation

We need to plan for the fiscal health of the National Federation of the
Blind for the future. Our legacy society, Dream Makers Circle, helps do
that.

We want to grow our legacy society, but we need your help. In order to ask
others to become members, it is important for us to show that our leadership
supports our legacy society. It is easy to join. In some cases, you can
become a part of our Dream Makers Circle with a quick trip to the bank. You
can name the Federation or your affiliate as the beneficiary or partial
beneficiary of a life insurance policy, IRA, or pension plan. The Federation
can be a contingent beneficiary after you plan for loved ones. Please call
410-659-9314, extension 2422, or email pchang at nfb.org<mailto:pchang at nfb.org>
to explore the possibilities.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

  *   Fall conventions<https://nfb.org/state-conventions>
  *   October 11-12, 2018: Tactile Graphics Symposium

·         November 1, 2018: NFB scholarship application period begins
·         November 15, 2018: Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award application period
begins

  *   January 28, 2019: Great Gathering-In; Washington Seminar begins
  *   March 28-29, 2019: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
  *   July 7-12, 2019: NFB National Convention, Las Vegas, Nevada

blindness is not what holds you back.

Mark A. Riccobono, President
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314 |
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we work