[NFBNJ] Important Urgent!Upcoming Protest Media Advisory

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 28 20:21:48 UTC 2019

    Greetings to all!
Please let our voices be heard!
Review and assist with what is needed to make all aware of this situation.

As of this writing, we have six participating from our membership.
If interested, please contact Linda melendez at 732  421 7063 or
lindamelendez220 at gmail.com or Joe Ruffalo at 973 743 0075 or email,
nfbnj1 at verizon.net;

Note: Please don’t let transportation costs keep you from attending.
We can discuss with each member.

nfbnj1 at verizon.net

Dear Affiliate Presidents:

The following media advisory regarding our upcoming protest was distributed
to media outlets yesterday. Please feel free to distribute to any media
contacts that you have, other disability groups, and our members.

Thanks,
John

Blind Americans to Protest Discrimination in Entertainment April 2
National Federation of the Blind to Lead Protest Against New CW TV Series
MEDIA ADVISORY

New York (March 27, 2019)

Event: National Federation of the Blind #LetUsPlayUs Protest
Date: Tuesday, April 2, 2019
Place: CBS Corporation, 52 West 53rd Street, New York, NY 10019

Attention Entertainment, Arts, and Culture Editors/Reporters:

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) - the oldest and largest
nationwide organization of blind Americans, with affiliates in every state
and multiple special interest divisions, including one dedicated to the
performing arts - will protest the forthcoming CW TV show In the Dark next
Tuesday, April 2, two days before the show's scheduled premier. The
informational protest will take place from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

In the Dark features a blind lead character who is not portrayed by a blind
actor. On March 12, the National Federation of the Blind issued a statement
condemning the show and calling for its cancellation, and highlighting the
lack of authentic representation of blind people in the entertainment
industry throughout its history. The organization also wrote to the show's
producers and to CW/CBS executives requesting an urgent meeting. The NFB
received a response from the show's executives stating that they are
interested in meeting with the NFB after the first season has aired. The NFB
replied that meeting prior to the show airing is crucial, but so far, the
executives have neither accepted nor declined a request to meet prior to
April 2.