[NFBNJ] friends of the library newsletter

joe ruffalo nfbnj1 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 25 11:56:40 UTC 2019

Greetings to all!
Received from Ken Lawrence, President, Friends of the Library.
Please share with others.
Any questions, please contact Ken Lawrence at
kenlawrence124 at aol.com

From: Kenlawrence

Hi joe since our friends newsletter only goes out to the members, would like
to please ask that this be posted to NFB distribution list. We may or may
not take up the topic of widening our distribution at next meeting.  I do
encourage that this be shared by members to all other blindness
organizations.  Friends newsletter follows.     ****     THE FRIENDS OF THE
NEW JERSEY LIBRARY FOR THE BLIND AND HANDICAPPED, INC.

      FALL 2019 NEWSLETTER

Message from the President

Well folks a very exciting summer/fall for the library. It started on
October 3 with the very anticipated launch of our new LEAP Center at the
NJSLTBBC.  I hope many of the members of the Friends were able to attend.
It???s exciting for me to because I received my first two cartridges from the
library under the new system.  I???ve got 16 books to read.  I hadn???t used my
player in so long that the battery would not charge so I had to replace it.
I took the opportunity to finally set up my BARD account.  I had originally
done that in 2009 thinking I???d have broadband but didn???t until the next year
and then lost my thumb drive. I have had to adjust from Windows XP then to
Windows 7 and then to 10.  So, it???s that time of year when the Friends prep
for our next meeting. The date and all info will appear later on in this
newsletter.  In the meantime, we must continue our drive for new membership
so I would urge all members to share this newsletter with all of your
friends in all the other blindness organizations. Remember the library
serves all of new jersey???s blind community.  With our organization stronger,
the NJSLTBBC is stronger because they can better serve the blind of the
state by knowing wht the concerns and needs are.  The friends make Adam???s
job a lot easier and we certainly don???t want to be back in the days of the
library being detached from the people it serves so looking forward to lots
of new members either at the meeting or on the conference call.  Thanks much
and see you all at next meeting.
Respectfully submitted Ken Lawrence, president of the friends of the NJ
library for the blind and physically handicapped.

Meeting Information

The next meeting of the Friends will be held on Saturday, November 30, 2019
from 10:00 A.M. until 12:00 P.M., followed by lunch from 12:00 to 1:00 P.M
The location is the Joseph Kohn Training Center (JKTC) located at 130
Livingston Avenue in New Brunswick, NJ.  Directions to the JKTC will appear
at the end of this newsletter.  Anyone wishing to stay for lunch will be
asked to contribute $5.00 toward the cost of the food.  Please call Mary Jo
Partyka at 609 888-5459 by November 25 to advise us of your attendance so we
can plan for lunch.  We hope you will consider joining us for an informative
and important meeting.
If you cannot attend the meeting, we would like to invite you to dial in to
the conference call. Please note; this is not a toll-free number.  On
November 30th at 10 AM dial 605-468-8005.  Enter the access code 425 373#.
You will be asked to press 1 after the access code is repeated correctly.

LEAP Comes to TBBC
In time for Blindness Awareness month, on October 3rd, CBVI and TBBC hosted
a ribbon cutting event to launch the LEAP program at TBBC.  As light
refreshments and cake were served, patrons and guests were offered the
opportunity to visit the latest location for the LEAP program as well as
visit with members from various state organizations.  The Library Equal
Access Program offers classes to 55 and older who wish to learn more about
iPhone, iPad and other computer access.  Please contact TBBC for further
details.

8th Annual TBBC Golf Classic Summary

     The Eighth Annual TBBC Golf Classic was another successful fundraiser
held on Tuesday June 11, 2019 at the Bedens Brooke Club in Skillman, NJ.  We
credit this success to our sponsors, golfers, staff and volunteers.  The
Friends of the New Jersey Library for the Blind & Handicapped were one of 8
very generous sponsors of the day???s event.  Our usual Presenting Sponsor had
to step down and the Friends eagerly stepped in and filled the sponsorship
level.  40 golfers enjoyed a fun filled day of golf, contests, fine dining,
auctions, prizes and awards.  25 various donors contributed to the Penny
Auction, the Silent Auction and Prizes for the golfers.  At the end of the
day, we were very satisfied with the results of our fundraiser that profited
$3,150.00 and look forward to next year???s golf event.
Linda Cerce

A Note from Richard J Smith, NLS Chief Library Division

Network Library Highlights:

Kudos goes out to Adam Szczepaniak and the staff of the New Jersey State
Library Talking Book and Braille Center for quick implementation of DoD
service. In only its second month of DoD, NJ1A reports servicing 5,875
patrons with more than 66,000 books on close to 10,000 cartridges. That
averages to 6.9 books per cartridge with 75% of readers receiving 8 books
per cartridge

Nominating Committee - June 2020 Elections

At our June 2020 meeting, the Friends will be electing the slate of officers
who will be holding positions for the next 2 years. The Nominating Committee
Chair, appointed by President Ken Lawrence, is Bernie Zuckerman.  If you
would like to be considered for an office, please contact Bernie at
Friendsnjlbh at yahoo.com or (732) 221-5362.

TBBC 2019 Summer Reading Program Update

The summer of 2019 was another successful Summer Reading Program for TBBC.
There were 50 participants with the average age of 12.
The participants received their materials in braille, audio and large print
books and magazines.  This summer, 22 participants were sent braille
materials, an increase over last year.
TBBC also welcomed participants from the Helen Keller House.          Each
individual participant who completed summer reading received four mailings
(letters, incentives, challenges, etc.) Last year it was six. TBBC reduced
the number of mailings because of the transition in the software used to
send out books. This year, 1,062 books and magazines were read: 648 by
children, 414 by teens.  The Friends have been supporting this program for
several years and hope to continue doing so.

Submitted by Elizabeth Burns

A Heartfelt Thank You

The Friends would like to thank Metuchen Lions Club and Jo-Ann & Richard
Sidney for their generous donations.  As we support the Library in any way
we can, the contributions are most welcome.  Thank you!

Annual Dues are due

This is a friendly reminder that our annual dues for FY 2019 annual dues are
past due. If you have not sent them in yet, please do so ASAP. Please send
your dues and donations to the Friends mailing address and write your check
out to the Friends of the Library for the Blind and Handicapped.  The
Friends appreciate your efforts and your participation in helping the
NJSLTBBC meet its goals.  A membership form is attached to this newsletter
for those who wish to join the Friends or pay dues.  Dues are $10.00 for an
individual membership and $25.00 for a family membership. These dues cover
the 12-month period from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020.

Options for Reading The Friends??? Newsletter

The newsletter is available in Large Print, E-Mail, on our website
http://friendsnjlibraryfortheblind.org and for those who do not have
computers, by telephone on Newsline. You can access these Newsletters with a
Newsline subscription and a touch-tone telephone. If you do not have a
Newsline subscription, contact Reader Services at the New Jersey Talking
Book and Braille Center at 1-800-792-8322 to get signed up for a Newsline
subscription.  If you have a Newsline subscription, but do not remember your
login information, contact Christian Riehl at the above number extension
821. Once you have secured your login information, dial in to the service by
calling 1-888-882-1629, or the local dial up number provided to you for
accessing the service. Follow the prompts for logging in and reading the
Newsletters. Choose option 2 off the main menu for your state???s information
channel, followed by option for the blindness groups, then the option for
the Friends Newsletters. Happy reading.
Please check out our website for information on community services as well
as present and past copies of our newsletters at
https://www.friendsnjlibraryfortheblind.org/

Directions to the Next Meeting

Address:
JKTC
130 Livingston Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-2421

Cross Street: Seaman Street

>From the North
South on Route 1 to Route 18 heading toward New Brunswick.
Get off Route 18 at the New Street ramp.
Turn slight right onto New Street/ NJ 26.
Take the 2nd left onto Livingston Avenue/NJ 26.
Turn left onto Seaman Street and left into the JKTC parking lot.

>From the South
North on Route 1 to Livingston Avenue/NJ 26 toward New Brunswick.
Turn right onto Seaman Street and left into the JKTC parking lot.

THE FRIENDS OF THE NJ LIBRARY for the BLIND MEMBERSHIP FORM

Name: ___________________________________________________
Address: _________________________________________________
City, State, Zip: ____________________________________________
Telephone (with area code): __________________________________
E-mail address: ____________________________________________
Preferred Media Format:
LP____  E-mail_____ or None I will read online_____
I am eligible for TBBC Services: Yes ___ No ___
Individual Member $10.00 ___   Family Membership $25.00 ___
Donation $ _________
Donation in Memory or Honor of Name: __________________________
Send acknowledgment for memorial gift to:

I have made a bequest in my will _____

Please return this form together with your check payable to:
The Friends of the NJLBH
PO Box 434, Woodbridge, NJ 07095
EM 10/19

Sent from Mail for Windows 10