[NFBNJ] NFBNJ: The Sounding Board - Fall 2019

Brian Mackey bmackey88 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 17:43:46 UTC 2019

>From the desk of NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo.

Greetings to all!

The fall issue of the Sounding Board is pasted and attached for your reading
pleasure.

Please share with your personal distribution lists as we want many to know
of the programs, policies and the human interest stories.

Best,

FALL 2019

The Sounding Board

The Publication of the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

In This Issue

Mary Jo Partyka

Highlights New Jersey’s 6th BELL Program

Bernice Davis, Aaliyah Dent & Amy Albin

Reflect on the 2019 National Convention

Annemarie Cooke

Tells about a European travel adventure

Sherel Beslanovitz

Shares the story of DeafBlind Paralympian Alice Eaddy

& New Jersey’s Blindness

Awareness Month Proclamation

Live the Life You Want

THE SOUNDING BOARD

Fall 2019

Katherine Gabry, Editor

Co-Editors: Annemarie Cooke, Mark Gasaway, Jerilyn Higgins & Mary Jo Partyka

Published by e-mail and on the Web through Newsline by

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

www.nfbnj.org <http://www.nfbnj.org>

Joseph Ruffalo, President

State Affiliate Office   254 Spruce Street   Bloomfield, NJ 07003

Email: nfbnj1 at verizon.net

Articles should be submitted to the State Affiliate Office at
nfbnj1 at verizon.net <mailto:nfbnj1 at verizon.net>

and to the editor at specialk38 at aol.com.

Advertising rates are $25 for a half page and $40 for a full page.

Ads should be sent to specialk38 at aol.com <mailto:specialk38 at aol.com> .

The editorial staff reserves the right to edit all articles and advertising

for space and/or clarity considerations.

Please Note: The deadline for the Spring issue is March 15, 2020.

Donations should be made payable to the

and sent to the State Affiliate office.

To subscribe via Newsline: Jane Degenshein 973-736-5785 or
Jdegen16 at comcast.net

DREAM MAKERS CIRCLE
You can help build a future of opportunity for the blind by becoming a
member of our Dream Makers Circle. It is easier than you think. You can
visit your bank and convert an account to a P.O.D. (payable on death) bank
account which is payable after your passing to the National Federation of
the Blind or one of our affiliates. Your legacy gift to the National
Federation of the Blind or the National Federation of the Blind of New
Jersey can be made in the form of a will or living trust, an income
generating gift, or by naming us as the beneficiary of a retirement plan,
IRA, pension or a life insurance policy. You can designate a specific
amount, a percentage, or list the NFB as one of several beneficiaries. For
additional information, please contact Patti Chang at 410-659-9314,
extension 2422 or at  <mailto:pchang at nfb.org> pchang at nfb.org.

Mission Statement

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey, Inc. is an organization
of blind and interested sighted people who plan and carry out programs; work
to improve the quality of life of the blind; provide a means of collective
action for parents of blind children; promote the vocational, cultural and
social advancement of the blind; achieve the integration of the blind into
society on a basis of equality with the sighted; and take action that will
improve the overall condition and standard of living of the blind.

expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.

The National Federation of the Blind Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity and security for the blind; to
support the programs and policies of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

The Sounding Board

The Sounding Board is the magazine of the National Federation of the Blind
of New Jersey. It is published twice a year. Through The Sounding Board, we
aspire to provide a source of hope, inspiration, pride and camaraderie
through the personal stories featured in our publication.

Hundreds of readers receive our publication via email and Newsline. The
Sounding Board is also available for download in its entirety from our
website at www.nfbnj.org. We encourage our readers to share The Sounding
Board with family members, teachers, professionals, neighbors, friends and
any other interested parties. We estimate our circulation to be in the
thousands, as readers from across the country regularly report that The
Sounding Board influences their lives.

Seventeen people contributed to this issue by sharing stories, editing,
interviewing and proofreading. It is truly a collaborative effort. We hope
you enjoy the fruits of our labor.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Presidential Message, by Joe Ruffalo
5

The National Federation of the Blind: My Favorite Charity? By Rick Fox
6

The Impact of the 2019 National Convention – series of three articles
7 – 10

The 2019 NFB National Convention – a Thought-Provoking Experience, by
Bernice Davis                                      7

My First (of Hopefully Many) NFB National Conventions, by Aaliyah Dent
8

The 2019 National Convention: A Life-Changing Experience, by Amy Albin
9

Highlights from New Jersey’s 6th Bell Program, by Mary Jo Partyka
11

The Nature of Independence while in Another Country, by Annemarie Cooke
13

Why Get Involved? by Chris Franz
14

October is Blindness Awareness Month, New Jersey’s Proclamation
15

White Cane Awareness Day: A Symbol of Independence, by Marc Maurer
15

NFBNJ Volunteering Opportunities
17

Inspiration Corner: Alice Eaddy, Paralympic Athlete, by Sherel Beslanovitz
18

What’s Eye2Eye? by John Dehmer
19

How to Properly Charge a Phone Battery, by Simon Jary
20

Tech Tip: Getting Help for Your iDevice, by Jane Degenshein
21

Recipes
22 – 23

Jerilyn’s Healthy Snack Choices
22

Ruff’s Puffs
22

NFBNJ Contact Info
24

PRESIDENTIAL MESSAGE

Greetings Fellow Federationists,

For me, the arrival of autumn ushers in welcome changes. Warm summer
sunshine transforms to cool, energizing crispness and the onset of brightly
colored leaves. Lazy summer days at the beach morph into the activities of
the school year and plans for the upcoming holiday season. In the National
Federation of the Blind of New Jersey, fall presents us with renewed
excitement as we prepare for our state convention where we continue to
provide the philosophy and the expectation for each of us to live the life
we want. This year’s convention – Lead The Life You Want: We Got This – will
be held at the Delta by Marriott Hotel in Woodbridge, November 7 – 10.
Information has been distributed and is available on the state website at
www.nfbnj.org <http://www.nfbnj.org> . Try to make an effort to attend as
the convention features presentations, breakout sessions, an exhibit room,
fellowship, great food and an opportunity to change what it means to be
blind.

The chapters and divisions of the NFBNJ continue our mission of raising
expectations. Meetings continue to provide growth in each member. Activities
and outreach programs continue to provide the gift of the Federation to
others. Scholarships continue to provide financial support to the next
generation of members to achieve their goals and objectives. The fun and
fund raising opportunities and the grants received continue to support the
programs and projects of the NFB and the NFBNJ. Special thanks to Ellen
Sullivan and all who have contributed time, effort and resources to the
fundraising opportunities at Boscov’s department stores, Barnes & Noble and
a number of grocery stores.

Last spring, the NFBNJ and Bloomfield UNICO partnered in hosting a comedy
and musical entertainment fun and fund raiser night at the Knights of
Columbus in Belleville. Proceeds benefited the Joe and Rose Ruffalo Memorial
Scholarship Fund. Save the date for the second annual comedy and musical
entertainment event scheduled for Saturday, March 28 at the Knights of
Columbus in Belleville. Stay tuned for details!

Each issue of The Sounding Board provides information, personal stories and
group activities to continue to inspire the growth in each of us. Thanks to
all who share their stories in this issue. We – or someone we care about –
may have lost eyesight, but we will never lose our vision.

On a special note:  I want to personally thank all who offered prayers and
positive words to encourage me with my sudden medical emergency and with my
30-day stay in the hospital.  I feel stronger each day, and I’m getting back
to “normal.” I continue to learn what is needed to live the life I want.

                                                     Sincerely,

                                                                  Joe
Ruffalo, President

GUEST EDITORIAL BY RICK FOX

The National Federation of the Blind: My Favorite Charity?

Editor's Note: Rick Fox is president of the NFBNJ’s Northern Chapter. He
discovered the NFB decades ago while a student at Brown University in
Providence, RI. One day, while exploring downtown Providence with a mobility
instructor, a priest from a local cathedral noticed them and told Rick about
a blindness group that met monthly in a conference room at the cathedral.
The rest, as they say, is history.

At a recent large family gathering, one of my nieces asked me the name of my
favorite charity. Taken aback, I answered, “The National Federation of the
Blind.” I didn’t have the time to tell her that the NFB was much more than a
charity to me, that its members and philosophy helped me truly accept my
blindness, raise my expectations for myself, and drew me into a community
that feels like a second family to me.

A year in college had changed me from a cocky kid who thought he could do
anything into a person who was depressed, lacked confidence and thought
negatively about almost everything. That’s when I met the National
Federation of the Blind.

The organization was founded in 1940 by a small group of blind people who
felt that only people who were blind could and should lead the blind from a
position of almost guaranteed idleness, helplessness and poverty, to a
position of equality with their sighted neighbors. The very idea that this
might be possible was, in that day, controversial.

The first, and most important lesson I began to learn from my NFB mentors
was: It is respectable to be blind. As I pondered this message, I realized
that I viewed my disability as a badge of inferiority. I have learned that
this is common among people with disabilities, and other marginalized
minorities. The idea that I, Rick Fox, blindness and all, could claim the
same dignity and self-respect as other human beings, was, to say the least,
liberating and revolutionary. All that shame and self-loathing could now be
put to use in positive ways.

The second lesson was: Keep your expectations high; don’t abandon your
dreams because of your disability. My NFB mentors gave me constant
encouragement. One totally blind New York City resident spent a day with me
in the subways and crazy, noisy streets of Manhattan. I decided I really
could live and work in New York when he led me across 116th Street and
Broadway. I’m proud to say I have built a 35-year career in the technology
field, beginning in New York City.

Lesson #3: Only a blind person can teach another blind person lessons 1 and
2.

Lesson #4: If we have taught you life-transforming lessons, pass them on to
others by continuing the work of the NFB. Over most of my adult life, I have
tried to do this by mentoring others, educating the public regarding the
capabilities of blind people, working with governmental and private agencies
doing work with people who are blind to improve their services, and lobbying
our legislators to pass laws conducive to equal participation of blind
people in our society. One of our current issues is the abolition of
subminimum wage payments to people with disabilities. Yes, corporations and
nonprofits alike are allowed to pay people with disabilities less than the
minimum wage!

Though I cringe at the remembrance of my painful period of depression and
self-doubt, I am a more mature and compassionate person having gone through
it. As a “wounded healer,” I believe I am a more effective and authentic
mentor to others.

THE IMPACT OF THE 2019 NATIONAL CONVENTION

Editor’s Note: The next three articles are first-timers’ personal impact
stories related to the National Federation of the Blind’s 2019 national
convention in Las Vegas. Bernice Davis, Aaliyah A. Dent and Amy Albin share
how the convention impacted them in the moments there and what it means for
them in the future.

The 2019 NFB National Convention – A Thought Provoking Experience

By Dr. Bernice Davis, PsyD., Executive Director, CBVI

While mapping out the logistics for my travel to the National Federation of
the Blind’s national convention, I was invigorated by the prospect of
sharing the experience with old friends while making new ones.  I also
thought about the distinction of being a stakeholder of an organization with
such a long history of empowering people who are blind and proactively
working to enlighten the world on the value that blind people bring to every
aspect of society.

As I continue the process of immersion into the role of Executive Director
of the New Jersey Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CBVI), I
find I am more and more inspired by the powerful ingredients of community
and inclusion.  I believe that these formidable elements must be recognized
and embraced by anyone with an interest in ensuring that people who are
blind and visually impaired have the opportunity to live the life they want.

Although significant, these thoughts could not compare to the phenomenal
experience of the convention; the vast array of workshops offered was topped
only by the diversity of topics and attendees. The hustle and bustle of
trying to make it from one great workshop to the next, the side
conversations, people helping each other with the logistics, the light and
positive energy felt throughout – I found it all tremendously uplifting.
However, more importantly it solidified the magnitude of the cultural
experience of blindness and visual impairment and the significance of “a
sense of belonging.” The workshops were reflective of NFB’s recognition and
appreciation of the needs and lifestyles of people with diverse perspectives
but the unquestionable spirit of community was compelling.

As I give thoughtful reflection on my experience at the NFB national
convention and CBVI, I am proud of the paralleled history shared in
partnership with the NFBNJ under the dedicated and tireless leadership of
Joe Ruffalo. I am also proud that like NFB, the Commission has and will
continue to demonstrate a strong commitment to diversity in the blind and
visually impaired community, with the understanding that our collaborative
goals truly go beyond unilateral efforts of providing services in the areas
of employment, education and independent living. We are stakeholders in the
total quality of life of our consumers and therefore, maintain an interest
in full community inclusion as well as the social and civil rights of blind
people, because it is all connected.

My First (of Hopefully Many) NFB National Conventions

By Dr. Aaliyah A. Dent, MSW, LSW, CBVI Northern Regional Office Manager

I must begin by thanking NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo for both extending an
invitation and encouraging me to attend this year’s National Federation of
the Blind’s national convention in Las Vegas. I truly appreciated the chance
to network with many members of the NFB during such an auspicious and
informative event. Being introduced to President Riccobono and the
hospitality shown to me and my NJ Commission for the Blind and Visually
Impaired colleagues was much appreciated.

I admit that I was not prepared for the tremendous number of people in
attendance. The over 3,000 attendees representing such a wide array of
diverse perspectives was impressive, to say the least. In particular, I
enjoyed interacting with the many young adults who visited CBVI’s table
during the job fair. Their interest in our organization, as well as pursuing
employment opportunities, was invigorating.

Since joining CBVI in 2018, I have actively pursued opportunities to expand
my awareness and knowledge base about blindness and vision loss. For me, the
NFB national convention was a massive one-stop learning center with people
from all over the country, including service providers, vendors and
representatives from organizations, as well as a plethora of companies that
manufacture and market assistive technology. Most important was the sharing
of concerns and ideas about how to bring about positive change, for example,
things that should be considered when hiring someone who is blind or
visually impaired. All of this useful information will be shared with my
CBVI colleagues and in particular the Northern Regional Service Center
staff.

In closing, President Riccobono’s speech encompassed client choice,
equality, treating people with dignity and respect, and promoting
self-worth.  As I reflect on my experience, I cannot help but think about
how my own personal beliefs, social work values and ethics are closely
aligned with what I witnessed at the convention.

There is a lot of important work to do as related to ensuring 100 percent
equality in all realms of life for all people.  I look forward to working
with NFBNJ to make that a reality for CBVI consumers.

THE 2019 NATIONAL CONVENTION: A LIFE-CHANGING EXPERIENCE

By 2019 NFB Scholarship Finalist Amy Albin

Editor’s Note: Amy Albin, a junior at Montclair State University majoring in
psychology, was a 2019 national scholarship finalist at this year’s
convention. As such, she also is receiving a state scholarship at the NFBNJ
state convention in November.

I’m immensely honored to be part of the 2019 Scholarship Class of the
National Federation of the Blind. Through this opportunity to attend a
National Federation of the Blind national convention, I established
relationships with successful mentors. I also learned a great deal about the
policies of the NFB.

A major component of the Scholarship Program is that each finalist has the
privilege of working with a different mentor each day. I am extremely
thankful for all the time the mentors put in to making this a great
experience for me!

For example, Dr. Arielle Silverman is a psychologist, which I aspire to be.
I follow her blog, Disability Wisdom, and I hope to emulate her by always
being an advocate for people with disabilities. This could be in my official
career or volunteering, such as working with the NFB.

Tom Page and I are both musicians, so that was something we could both talk
about. He also helped me by explaining what he did as part of the
Resolutions Committee, and by suggesting ways for me to improve my
orientation and mobility skills.

I appreciate that Denice Brown took the time to meet with me and have a deep
conversation, even on a day when we were both very busy. Carla McQuillan and
Everette Bacon were both people I’d met before because they were National
Representatives at New Jersey state conventions. It was great to meet them
on a more personal level and sit together during general sessions. Finally,
Merry Schoch was my mentor during a complicated spatial activity involving
the Dots candy. We worked together as a team to figure it out!

The mentorship component of the Scholarship Program was invaluable because
it ensured that I was not alone during convention, and it allowed me
abundant networking opportunities.

In addition to the new contacts I made, participating fully in the
convention has launched my involvement in legislative activities. It started
on the day in General Session when President Riccobono told us to call our
federal legislators about the Access Technology Affordability Act. My
previous habit, though I’m ashamed to admit it, was to read the legislative
alerts but not take action, thinking that “someone else” would do it. But at
lunch that day, I made the phone call. Since then, I’ve decided that each
individual, through his or her own advocacy and through sharing with others,
can make a significant difference in legislation. After leaving convention,
I continued to call and e-mail about all our important bills and began
educating people in my social circle about the legislation. I joined the
Legislative Advocacy Committee of the National Association of Blind
Students.

On August 19, I attended a town hall meeting with Representative Mikie
Sherrill, and spoke publicly about the Transformation to Competitive
Employment Act, the Access Technology Affordability Act, and the Greater
Accessibility and Independence through Nonvisual Access Technology Act. I
will continue to make NFB legislation a major priority in my life. In
addition, I encourage all of the readers of The Sounding Board, in other
words, you personally, to call and e-mail your representatives and senators
about these three important bills. Don’t make the mistake I used to make.
Don’t wait for another person to do it for you.

Being an NFB 2019 Scholarship Finalist has afforded me many opportunities to
meet successful Federationists and ask questions. I have taken the knowledge
I gained at convention to play an integral role in advocating for
legislation to build the Federation so we can live the lives we want. Once
again, thank you, NFB!

43rd ANNUAL STATE CONVENTION

Live the Life You Want: We Got This

November 7 – 10, 2019

Hosted by the Northern Chapter, the Senior Division & the Technology
Division

Delta by Marriott Hotel (formerly the Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel)

515 US Highway 1 South * Iselin, New Jersey 08830 * Access Link accessible

More information and registration form available at:

https://www.nfbnj.org/state-convention/

Please consider bringing non-perishable food items to donate to the Puerto
Rican Association for Human Development, Inc., and personal items to donate
to a nonprofit to assist those in need.

Get involved. Stay involved. Make a difference!

Highlights from New Jersey’s 6th BELL Academy

By Mary Jo Partyka

Editor’s Note: Mary Jo Partyka is a lifelong Braille user. She is currently
chairman of the NFBNJ Braille Committee and president of the Capital
Chapter.

The NFBNJ sponsored its sixth BELL (Braille Enrichment for Literacy and
Learning) Academy July 22 through August 2, 2019 at the Puerto Rican
Association for Human Development (PRAHD) in Perth Amboy.  In planning
year’s program, the BELL team requested a more private space than we had in
the past. As a result, PRAHD provided us with a little greenhouse, which was
small, but provided the space and the privacy conducive to a good learning
environment for staff and students alike.

The BELL Academy is an intensive two-week summer experience which provides
children between the ages of four and 12 who lacked exposure to Braille and
nonvisual life skills with concentrated instruction in these areas.  This
learning occurs through the students’ participation in fun, hands-on
activities which will help them become more independent and self-sufficient.
Thirty-five NFB Affiliates offered a BELL Academy this past summer. The New
Jersey program had six students.

This year’s BELL Academy was planned and coordinated by our BELL team: State
Affiliate President Joe Ruffalo, BELL coordinator Mary Jo Partyka, head
teacher Sylvia Reid, assistant teachers Joanna Mallard and Jonathan Zobek,
NFBNJ Sports and Recreation Division President Linda Melendez, and Ellen
Sullivan, the person who kept us on track and kept everything in order.
State Affiliate volunteers played an active role in the program, as well.
Rosa Santiago and Alba Milla helped the students learn Braille. For the
third year in a row, Rick Fox and Debbie Bloomer spent  half a day  at  BELL
during which they talked with the students,  read them a story, and taught
them how to play a new game called Quibbler, and brought prizes for the
winners of the game.

In addition to learning Braille and activities of daily living, each day,
the students were encouraged to do something at home to enhance their
independence, such as a new chore or engaging in self-care activities. When
their teacher asked what they had done independently at home, they usually
thought of something, and they were encouraged to ring their bells to
celebrate their achievements. The children also engaged in problem-solving
situations during which they considered how they would handle something they
found challenging.

The students engaged in some new experiences this year. On the first day of
each BELL Program, the students celebrate Louis Braille’s birthday. This
year’s birthday celebration was inspired by a lesson the BELL coordinators
learned while in training at the National Center. The students were
encouraged to use their white canes, learning shades and sense of touch to
approach a piñata, tactually examine it and the stick that would be used to
hit the piñata, and then, in turn, use the stick to try to break the piñata.
Cries of “AWESOME!” were common. To further their mobility training, four
sessions of travel instruction were provided for each student by Donna
Panero, a certified orientation and mobility instructor from CBVI. The
students also learned to use tactile sketchpads on which they could draw
letters, diagrams or geometric figures. Because they could touch and feel
these drawings, the representations were more meaningful to them. All BELL
Academies received sketchpads donated by the American Action Fund.

The students also went on two field trips. The first was to the Perth Amboy
police station where they were able to touch some police equipment and
experience sitting in a police car and on a motorcycle. Those who knew
Braille were encouraged to read the Braille signs in the police station to
the rest of the group.  The second trip was to the Keansburg Amusement Park
and was sponsored by the NFBNJ’s Sports & Recreation Division. While the
students, parents and siblings were invited to participate in this field
trip, each student was assigned a blind mentor who spent the day with them.
The students were given money to order their food, and they placed the
orders themselves and had to make change in some instances. The students
also went on the rides independently.  This was a great experience for the
students, and a day they will remember for a long time because they realized
they could do some new things independently.

There was a high level of commitment between the BELL Academy staff and the
parents of the BELL students. The parents were invited to participate in two
planning conference calls before the program started and were apprised of
all activities which took place during BELL.

The BELL students participated in a graduation ceremony and after they
marched into the classroom, each discussed a different facet of the program.
Joanna Mallard taught the children to do the Cha-cha Slide, and they sang a
song called Six Dots of Braille to the tune of the Beatles “Eight Days a
Week.”

The BELL Academy would not have been possible without financial support from
the Allergan Foundation, as well as the Chester and Bloomfield Lions Clubs,
and from the State Affiliate chapters and divisions which helped us work
this magic once again.  Thank you for your generous support!

The Nature of Independence While in Another Country

By Annemarie Cooke

One of Kenneth Jernigan’s most memorable essays is “The Nature of
Independence.”  In this work, he notes that independence for us blind folks
doesn’t necessarily mean having to struggle through everything by oneself;
the nature of true independence is knowing when to ask for assistance.

Nothing proved this for me like a trip my husband Doug and I took to
Scotland and England this past August. Because the day we planned to travel
from Edinburgh, Scotland to London was on a bank holiday weekend, we learned
a few months ahead of time that the railroad track would be under
renovation, and the station we had planned as our destination would be
closed. No real big deal
except that a no-transfer express train would now
be a series of short hops – four of them – on different trains operated by
different rail companies (trains were privatized in the UK years ago).

I had vouchers for the tickets which had to be printed at the station.
Luckily, we did this when we first arrived in Scotland, as the process took
about 45 minutes. I had noticed while browsing for rail schedules that all
the companies offered assistance for passengers who have disabilities. Even
for seasoned travelers, it can be maddening to find the correct track and
determine whether one is assigned to a specific car and seat or whether it’s
open seating.

Adding to the potential stress of the day was the unusually high
temperatures predicted for the week – 90 degrees F and higher in a land in
which air conditioning hardly ever is needed so there usually isn’t any.

On our appointed travel day, a Sunday morning, we searched high and low for
the reception desk we had been told to visit. The security cameras must have
finally revealed a blind woman with a white cane and sighted guy looking
confused and increasingly cranky as the hour grew later because suddenly a
station employee in uniform arrived, iPad in hand. He had been waiting for
us, he said (who knew?). He guided us to the correct platform, and said he’d
be back closer to train arrival time. He did, got us situated and said
someone would meet us at the next station. Like clockwork, that happened!
And it happened at the next two stations, too.

When we finally made it to Chatham, the stop past London, which was our
destination, the station staff member, possibly bored by the dearth of other
passengers, walked us two blocks to the cab stand and waited until a cab
arrived and we safely were en route to our hotel.

On the way back to London several days later, our reservations still were
live in the system and a uniformed staff member greeted us, got us seated
and away we went to central London. Upon arrival, the crowd brought to mind
Times Square on New Year’s Eve (we’ve seen it only on TV). Which exit would
get us to the street we knew would take us to our hotel?

So I called AIRA (short calls are free!). The call cut out as we walked
through the teeming waiting area, but the AIRA agent was able to guide us to
a coffee shop on a corner outside (I could smell the aroma!) and to our
sought-after street crossing.

Bottom line: Travel can stress blind and sighted folks alike; travel
arrangements and seating can be different than in the US; when it’s
super-hot weather, one can lose patience faster.

So, follow Kenneth Jernigan’s advice and make use of assistance, especially
when traveling. You’ll waste less time and energy and arrive at your
destination sooner and in a calmer frame of mind.

WHY GET INVOLVED?

By Chris Franz

Editor’s Note: Why get involved? showcases our members living the lives they
want and how that raises the expectations of others around them. Chris Franz
is a member of the At Large Chapter, as well as the Technology and Senior
Divisions. Here is her story.

I am vision Impaired and have cerebral palsy. When I was going to school
most of my teachers gave me coloring books and crayons and M&Ms to keep me
quiet. Teachers told me I couldn’t learn anything.

I met a wonderful lady named Jane Degenshein in 2006 who introduced me to
her brother Joe Ruffalo. Jane and Joe encouraged me to learn other
techniques so I could do more by myself. After that, I went to the Joseph
Kohn Training Center (JKTC) in New Brunswick to learn daily living skills to
prepare me for an independent life on my own.

With Jane and Joe’s excitement and encouragement, I moved out of a group
home and into my first apartment alone over 10 years ago. I went to my first
state convention in 2009. I believed in the NFB philosophy and became more
and more independent as the years went by. I learned a lot from different
people in the Federation, such as how to act on a conference call, and how
each one can teach one. I became more confident with so many friends of mine
in the Federation.

I joined the Senior Division when it started in 2011, the Technology
Division in 2013, and the At Large Chapter since it was established in 2009.
I am grateful for all of you in the NFB who continue to assist me to be the
best I can be.

Many of you have made me more confident, and this makes me much happier. I
want to say to those new members that there are people who believe in you
here in our NFB family, just like I found, and it has helped me to live the
life I want and need, and you can be the best you can be here with our NFB
family, too.

OCTOBER IS BLINDNESS AWARENESS MONTH

Proclamation Received from the State of New Jersey Executive Department

Governor Phil Murphy and Lieutenant Governor Sheila Oliver signed the
following:

Whereas, the State of New Jersey became a trailblazer in 1910, with the
establishment of the Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CBVI),
one of the nation’s first state agencies dedicated exclusively to the unique
educational, vocational and day-to-day life needs of people who are blind or
visually impaired; and

Whereas, it is estimated that over 259,000 New Jersey residents live with
blindness or severe vision loss; and

Whereas,  the mission of the CBVI is to promote and provide services in the
areas of education, employment, independence and eye health through informed
choice and partnership with persons who are blind or visually impaired,
their families and the community; and

Whereas, CBVI has always recognized the importance of providing services
that facilitate access to opportunities that will enable people with vision
loss to obtain their fullest measure of self-reliance and improved quality
of life and is also actively involved in  ensuring their treatment as
individuals with dignity and worth who are fully integrated into their
community; and

Whereas, CBVI continues to work in partnership with consumers and all
individuals and organizations that share their goal to prepare for the
promise of the future while promoting the vast reservoir of talent and
ability represented by people who are blind or visually impaired; and

Now, therefore, I, Phil Murphy, Governor of the State of New Jersey, do
hereby proclaim that October 2019 be declared Blindness Awareness Month.

White Cane Awareness Day: A Symbol of Independence

By Marc Maurer

Reprinted with permission from the National Federation of the Blind

Editor’s Note: Every state in the Union has a White Cane Law. New Jersey’s
law is summarized in the Driver’s Manual as follows: “Vehicles must give the
right-of-way when any of the following crosses any highway or intersection:
blind persons who use a predominantly white or metallic cane, blind persons
accompanied by a guide dog, or a guide dog instructor engaged in instructing
a guide dog. A motorist must stop when he/she sees a person with a white or
metallic “colored” cane or with a guide dog. All motorists must comply with
this law (N.J.S.A. 39:4-37.1).

In February of 1978 a young blind lady said, “I encounter people all of the
time who bless me, extol my independence, call me brave and courageous, and
thoroughly miss the boat as to what the real significance of the white cane
is.”

The National Federation of the Blind in convention assembled on the 6th day
of July, 1963, called upon the governors of the 50 states to proclaim
October 15 of each year as White Cane Safety Day in each of our 50 states.
On October 6, 1964, a joint resolution of the Congress, HR 753, was signed
into law authorizing the President of the United States to proclaim October
15 of each year as “White Cane Safety Day.” This resolution said:

 “Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives
, that the President
is hereby authorized to issue annually a proclamation designating October 15
as White Cane Safety Day and calling upon the people of the United States to
observe such a day with appropriate ceremonies and activities.”

Within hours of the passage of the congressional joint resolution
authorizing the president to proclaim October 15 as White Cane Safety Day,
then President Lyndon B. Johnson recognized the importance of the white cane
as a staff of independence for blind people. In the first Presidential White
Cane Proclamation, President Johnson commended the blind for the growing
spirit of independence and the increased determination to be self-reliant
that the organized blind had shown. The Presidential Proclamation said:

“The white cane in our society has become one of the symbols of a blind
person’s ability to come and go on his own. Its use has promoted courtesy
and special consideration to the blind on our streets and highways. To make
our people more fully aware of the meaning of the white cane and of the need
for motorists to exercise special care for the blind persons who carry it,
Congress, by a joint resolution approved as of October 6, 1964, has
authorized the President to proclaim October 15 of each year as White Cane
Safety Day.

“Now, therefore, I, Lyndon B. Johnson, President of the United States of
America, do hereby proclaim October 15, 1964 as White Cane Safety Day.”

With those stirring words President Johnson issued the first White Cane
Proclamation which was the culmination of a long and serious effort on the
part of the National Federation of the Blind to gain recognition for the
growing independence and self-sufficiency of blind people in America, and
also to gain recognition of the white cane as the symbol of that
independence and that self-reliance.

The first of the state laws regarding the right of blind people to travel
independently with the white cane was passed in 1930. In 1966, Dr. Jacobus
tenBroek, the founder of the National Federation of the Blind, drafted the
Model White Cane Law. This model act – which has become known as the Civil
Rights Bill for the Blind, the Disabled and the Otherwise Physically
Handicapped – contains a provision designating October 15 as White Cane
Safety Day. Today there is a variant of the White Cane Law on the statute
books of every state in the nation.

>From 1963 (and even before) when the National Federation of the Blind sought
to have White Cane Safety Day proclaimed as a recognition of the rights of
blind persons, to 1978 when a blind pedestrian met with misunderstanding
regarding the true meaning of the white cane, is but a short time in the
life of a movement. In 1963, a comparatively small number of blind people
had achieved sufficient independence to travel alone on the busy highways of
our nation.

In 1978 that number has not simply increased but multiplied a hundredfold.
The process began in the beginning of the organized blind movement and
continues today. There was a time when it was unusual to see a blind person
on the street, to find a blind person working in an office, or to see a
blind person operating machinery in a factory. This is still all too
uncommon. But it happens more often and the symbol of this independence is
the white cane. The blind are able to go, to move, to be and to compete with
all others in society. The means by which this is done is that simple tool,
the white cane. With the growing use of the white cane is an added element –
the wish and the will to be free – the unquenchable spirit and the
inextinguishable determination

to be independent. With these our lives are changed, and the prospects for
blind people become bright. That is what White Cane Safety Day is all about.
That is what we do in the National Federation of the Blind.

Volunteering Opportunities

Volunteers are an invaluable part of our team as we work to spread our
positive message about blindness and the abilities of blind people.

         Volunteer opportunities include:

*        Reading, driving

*        Fundraising

*        Helping with mailings

*        Registration at our events

*        And more!

To volunteer to support our efforts, please contact President Joe Ruffalo at
<mailto:nfbnj1 at verizon.net> nfbnj1 at verizon.net or 973-743-0075. Include your
contact information, the town and county where you reside, and what your
volunteer interests are.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION IN MAKING A DIFFERENCE!
Inspiration Corner: Alice Eaddy, Paralympic Athlete

By Sherel Beslanovitz

Reprinted with permission from DBCANNJ Fall 2019 News

Neither thunder nor lightning can stop Alice Eaddy on race day! Alice, in
the photo at right, hurling the shotput, is a national track and field
competitor on the Blind Athletes Inc. team, and she’s deafblind. Alice
summarizes her athleticism in this way: “I’m definitely a unique, national
level competitor. I don’t go at my sports endeavors halfway. I compete to

be reasonably, and realistically, competitive. I’m not just a competitor, I
give track and field everything I’ve got.” Alice thrives as an athlete and
encourages other deafblind people to participate in track and field sports.

Alice especially enjoys the camaraderie on the field, and she always makes
an effort to communicate with her competitors who accept her competitive
spirit without knowledge of the duality of her deafblindness. To foster
those exchanges at every meet, she brings communication cards and a dry
erase marker, as well as her mobility cane and her guide dog, Wanda. She
enjoys the check-in process and meet and greet events, as they’re good times
to get to know people. “Sometimes I’m in groups with youngsters under 12,
and I’ve learned the value of a good knock knock joke to pass the time of
slow moving events,” Alice adds.

In the 2019 Great Lakes Games in Chicago, Alice won first place in her age
group in the 4K, shot put, javelin, discus throw, and the 100-, 200- and
400-meter runs. She used a guide runner for the 200- and 400-meter runs. In
2018, Alice participated and medaled in the Philadelphia Marathon Rothman
Orthopaedics 8K where her completion time for the Race-Walk was 1 hour, 17
minutes and 48 seconds, placing her 44th in her age group of almost 2,000
athletes. The photo at left shows Alice and her guide dog Wanda at the 2018
Arizona World Para Athletics Grand Prix - Desert Challenge Games, where she
won gold in the javelin and bronze in the 400-meter run. Alice has high
expectations for herself, and she doesn’t quit. When her coaches give her a
target pace to shoot for, she tries to nail it every time.

Alice has a cochlear implant and a hearing aid, but bad weather often
precludes her from using them. Even if she is wearing them, Alice can’t hear
the start gun, so an official alerts her to begin by tapping on her left
shoulder, and there is also an official at the finish line. These
accommodations ensure she starts and finishes with the group. Alice sums up
her sports participation by saying, “I know that I’m a role model for the
DeafBlind Community. My participation allows the public to see that people
who have differing abilities do not let them get in the way of living their
lives. It makes me proud of how I can put myself out there and GO FOR IT!!!”

WHAT’S EYE2EYE?

By John Dehmer

Editor’s Note: Operating through Rutgers University, Eye2Eye is the first
Reciprocal Peer Support program for people with vision loss in the United
States. It has received designation for providing “National Best Practice in
Peer Support” by the Department of Defense Center for Excellence (2011), has
been featured in The New York Times, and has received an award from the
American Psychiatric Association (2018). Services include peer support,
clinical assessment, information dissemination, referrals and outreach.
Eye2Eye is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., with longer hours
coming soon. Call 833-932-3931. Find out more at
<http://ubhc.rutgers.edu/eye2eye> ubhc.rutgers.edu/eye2eye. Below, longtime
NFBNJ member John Dehmer shares his thoughts on the new program.

I’ve worked in support group development for more than 30 years, so my
interest was piqued when I saw a job announcement for yet another new
program. “Eye2Eye?” I wondered. “What makes this program different?” The
answer is accessibility.

The single thing that has always been missing from support groups is that
they do not connect to the individuals who are not able to attend, nor do
they connect with the families who don’t know how to obtain services for
their loved ones. Further, there are no clearinghouses that provide
comprehensive information, referrals and people to talk with who have
personal experience with vision loss who can assist with and understand the
personal concerns and issues related to adjusting to vision loss.

After accepting a position as a peer support counselor at Eye2Eye, I’ve
personally experienced the uniqueness of Eye2Eye, and I’m proud to be part
of this new endeavor. Eye2Eye is an easily accessible, community-centered,
peer-supported, phone-based resource that assists people coping with the
adjustment to vision loss. The Reciprocal Peer Support model of emotional
support and information sharing focuses on developing a strong connection
with the caller and goal setting with a focus on overall wellness and
quality of life. A caller can schedule as many sessions as he or she wants
to receive assistance, including referrals to agencies that provide other
necessary services.

Eye2Eye is open to anyone who is blind or visually impaired in New Jersey
and New York City; our hope is to eventually become nationwide. Through a
grant provided by the Lavelle Fund for the Blind, the program has five peer
support counselors and a clinician, all of whom are visually impaired or
blind themselves. The clinician also provides information, suggestions and
guidance on how to resolve personal situations and live the life you were
meant to live. We are eager to work with clinical providers so that we can
form effective referral networks to best serve people with blindness and
visual impairment.

Eye2Eye is directed by Steven Silverstein, Ph.D., a clinical psychologist
and vision researcher, and Cherie Castellano, MSW, the National Peer Support
Call Center Program Director. The Reciprocal Peer Support model was
developed by Ms. Castellano.

HOW TO PROPERLY CHARGE A PHONE BATTERY

By Simon Jary – Published on the Web 26 April 2019

Submitted by Jane Degenshein, President, NFBNJ Technology Division

Why is it that your phone's battery seems to get worse over time? At first
it might have power to spare as you snuggle into bed at the end of the
night, but as time goes on you find your battery is just half-full by
lunchtime. Partly it’s because your use of the phone – the apps you install,
the junk you collect, the customizations you make, and the more and more
notifications you receive – puts more strain on the battery.

But the other thing to consider is that phone batteries do degrade over
time, which means they are increasingly incapable of holding the same amount
of power. While they should have a lifespan of between three and five years,
or between 500 and 1,000 charging cycles, a 5-year-old phone battery is
never going to keep going as long as a brand-new battery.

However, armed with our tips for best battery care practice, you can
maintain your smartphone battery health much longer.

When should I charge my phone?

The golden rule is to keep your battery topped up somewhere between 50
percent and 90 percent most of the time. So top it up when it drops below 50
percent, but unplug it before it hits 100 percent. For this reason you might
want to reconsider leaving it plugged in overnight.

Giving your phone a full recharge is not fatal for a phone battery, and it
seems almost counter-intuitive not to do so, but giving it a full recharge
every time you charge it will shorten its lifespan. Likewise, at the other
end of the scale, avoid allowing your phone battery to get below 20 percent.

Should I charge my phone battery to 100%?

No, or at least not every time you charge it. Experts recommend that you do
a full zero to 100 percent battery recharge (a “charge cycle”) once a month.
This recalibrates the battery, which is a bit like restarting your computer.

Should I charge my phone overnight?

Not as a rule, since you want to avoid charging it to 100 percent too often,
and won't want to have to keep one eye open for when that time is near.
However, most modern smartphones are clever enough to stop charging when
full, so there isn't a huge risk in leaving your phone charging overnight.
If you are leaving it plugged in for a long period of time, removing the
case can prevent it from overheating.

Will fast-charging damage my phone?

Most new smartphones support fast-charging, yet often come with a lower-spec
charger in the box. The most common fast-charging standard is Qualcomm's
Quick Charge, but phone makers often have their own alternative (which is
often faster still). These phones have special code usually located in a
chip known as the Power Management IC (PMIC) that communicates with the
charger you are using and requests that it send power at a higher voltage.

While fast-charging itself will not harm your phone's battery, which is
built to support it, the heat generated from that charging likely will
affect its lifespan. So a quick top-up with a fast charger is unlikely to
hurt your phone, but prolonged and regular fast-charging might mean the
battery doesn't last quite as long as it would were you to use a slower
charger. So it’s on you to balance the advantages of faster charging with
the convenience of quickly topping up your phone before you dash out the
door.

In the same way that phone batteries don’t like extreme heat, they also
don't like the cold. So it goes without saying that you should avoid leaving
your phone in a hot car, on the beach, next to the oven, out in the snow or,
even, in the freezer.

Can I use any phone charger?

Where possible use the charger that came with your phone, as it is sure to
have the correct rating. Or make sure that a third-party charger is approved
by your phone’s manufacturer. Cheap alternatives from Amazon or eBay may
harm your phone, and there have been several reported cases of cheap
chargers actually catching fire. That said, your phone should draw only the
power that it needs from a USB charger.

Battery memory effect: Fact or fiction?

The battery memory effect concerns batteries that are regularly charged
between 20 percent and 80 percent and suggests that the phone might somehow
“forget” that extra 40 percent you routinely ignore. Lithium batteries do
not suffer the battery memory effect, though older nickel-based (NiMH and
NiCd) batteries do.

Storing battery tips

Don’t leave a lithium battery lying around too long at 0 percent. If you're
not using it for a while, leave it with around 50 percent charge. You’ll
find the battery will drain between 5 – 10 percent each month, and if you
let it discharge completely it might become incapable of holding a charge at
all.

TECH TIP: GETTING HELP FOR YOUR iDEVICE

By Jane Degenshein

Editor’s Note: Jane is the president of the Technology Division of the
NFBNJ, as well as a State Affiliate board member, president of the
Affiliate’s Senior Division and NFBNJ Newsline coordinator. She is also the
facilitator of ECHO (Eyes Closed Hearts Open).

If you have an iDevice that you need help with, or maybe you just want to
know more about how to use it, try the iDevice group. I have been subscribed
to this wonderful ios device listserv for several years and have had Denny
Huff and Matt Vollbrecht on our Technology Division conference calls, too.
For help with your device, send an email message to:
iDevices+subscribe at groups.io <mailto:iDevices+subscribe at groups.io> s.

Due to popular demand, our RECIPES column returns!

RECIPES

JERILYN’S HEALTHY SNACK CHOICES

Jerilyn Higgins, a longtime NFBNJ member, is enjoying her new residence in
Florida.  We’re hopeful that Jerilyn will return to New Jersey as we miss
her, especially her desserts. Jerilyn provided the following healthy snack
choices during a BELL Academy program a few years ago:

1.           Fruit and cheese skewer: Use any fruit – grapes, watermelon,
tangerine, blueberries, strawberries – and layer with mozzarella string
cheese cut into 4 chunks

2.     Homemade granola or trail mix using nuts, dried fruit, pumpkin seeds,
shredded coconut, pretzels

3.     Carrot and celery sticks with hummus or homemade ranch dressing using
yogurt

4.     Peanut butter on celery or apple slices with raisins or chia seeds on
top

5.     Pinwheels: Roll and slice a whole wheat wrap filled with peanut
butter, bananas and chia seeds

6.     Cucumber cups: Use a round melon baller to scoop out the flesh, then
fill with yogurt or taziki or hummus

7.     Caprese skewers: Use grape tomatoes, mozzarella and fresh basil

8.     Fruit smoothie made with yogurt, almond milk and any kind of fruit

9.     Banana chocolate ice cream using frozen bananas and cocoa powder

10.                  Homemade pickle chips using cucumber slices and a
pre-made pickling liquid using some honey to offset the sour

11.                  Yogurt parfait using fruit, granola or oats, nuts,
seeds, shredded coconut

12.                  Air popped popcorn using a brown bag in the microwave -
top with parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast

13.                  Watermelon pizza using triangular sliced watermelon
wedges, topped with feta and mint, or yogurt, berries and chia seeds

14.                  Guacamole or hummus with whole wheat pita chips

15.                  Grilled chicken nuggets with a homemade honey mustard
sauce (honey, mustard and plain fat free yogurt)

16.                  Pineapple cut outs using fun shaped cookie cutters

17.                  Melon balls (honeydew, cantaloupe or watermelon) with
fresh mint

RUFF’S PUFFS

Our second recipe is submitted by Joe Ruffalo. Joe owned and operated a
baking business for seven years. Ruff’s Puffs is one of his – and many
others’ – favorites. This recipe makes a dozen large cream puffs. Double the
ingredients for double the pleasure!

Ingredients:

1 cup water

1 stick butter or margarine

1 cup all-purpose flour

4 large eggs

1 box of instant pudding

1-1/2 cups milk

1/2 cup sour cream

Method:

1.     In a one-quart saucepan combine 1 cup water and 1 stick butter. Place
saucepan on low heat, bringing the water and butter to a rolling boil.

2.     Turn off heat and add 1 cup flour, stirring with wooden spoon until
the mixture is thick and there are no lumps (approximately three to five
minutes). When the batter is perfect, the wooden spoon will stand straight
up in it.

3.     Place batter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 large eggs, one at a time,
stirring constantly to insure that the batter remains stiff. When all four
eggs have been worked in and you are satisfied with the stiffness of the
batter, you are ready to make the Ruff's Puffs shells.

4.     Grease the cookie sheet, if it does not have a nonstick surface or
are not already well seasoned. Use a quarter-cup to measure the batter. Pack
the batter into the cup so that you have no air pockets. Smooth the surface
of the batter with the reverse side of a butter knife, allowing excess
batter to fall back into the mixing bowl. Place the batter on the cookie
sheet by sliding the butter knife around the inside of the measuring cup to
loosen it. If the resulting puff is not round, shape it with your hands.
Leave one to two inches of space around each puff.

5.     Place sheet in preheated 375-degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes or
until the smell of the puffs tells you that they are golden brown. Half way
through the cooking process, rotate the cookie sheet 180 degrees to insure
even baking. Be very certain that the puffs are done; they will fall when
removed from the pans if they are not thoroughly baked and a bit crisp to
the touch.

6.     When done, gently remove puffs from cookie sheet and allow to cool on
a rack or plate. Do not cut puffs until they are room temperature.

7.     While puffs are cooling, in a large metal mixing bowl make the cream
filling. Use one package vanilla or chocolate instant pudding. Once the
instant pudding is in the mixing bowl, add 1 and 1/2 cups milk, any kind –
whole milk adds a calorie or two but makes the filling noticeably richer.
Then add a half cup of sour cream. Using an electric mixer on low speed, mix
filling for approximately two minutes, then increase speed to high for about
30 seconds. Allow to stand at room temperature for approximately 10 minutes.
If you prefer to mix the cream by hand, use an egg beater for about three to
five minutes or until the cream thickens.

8.     Use a sharp knife to cut puffs before filling them. Cut the puffs
horizontally about three-quarters of the way through, approximately in the
middle. This should expose a hollow space in the center. If not, pull out
enough of the soft center to make your own hollow for filling. Using a
tablespoon, begin filling the puffs with the cream and then close them
again. Place in the refrigerator and enjoy the cleanup. Double the recipe,
and you will double the calories.

9.      Enjoy the Ruff's Puffs and watch your waistline grow.

NFBNJ CONTACT INFORMATION

National Federation of the Blind National Office

    President                                             Mark Riccobono
410-659-9314     officeofthepresident at nfb.org
<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

NFB State Affiliate

    President                                             Joseph Ruffalo
973-743-0075     nfbnj1 at verizon.net <mailto:nfbnj1 at verizon.net>

    1st Vice President                              Linda Melendez
732-421-7063     lindamelendez220 at gmail.com
<mailto:lindamelendez220 at gmail.com>

    2nd Vice President                             Mary Jo Partyka
609-888-5459     choirnfb at gmail.com <mailto:choirnfb at gmail.com>

Secretary                                             Ellen Sullivan
302-658-2268                     ems553 at comcast.net
<mailto:ems553 at comcast.net>

    Treasurer                                             Andrew Rees
732-659-6002     amrees567 at gmail.com <mailto:amrees567 at gmail.com>

Board Members                               Annemarie Cooke
609-859-4084                     aec732 at gmail.com <mailto:aec732 at gmail.com>

                                                                    Linda
DeBerardinis            856-735-5559     ljdeber3 at comcast.net
<mailto:ljdeber3 at comcast.net>

                                                                    Jane
Degenshein         973-736-5785     jdegen16 at comcast.net
<mailto:jdegen16 at comcast.net>
Mary Fernandez                           732-857-7004
mary.fernandez at duke.edu <mailto:mary.fernandez at duke.edu>

                                                                    Veronica
Gaspa            434-989-1868     vee.gaspa at gmail.com

Zoraida Krell                                   201-439-0120
krellbz at gmail.com <mailto:krellbz at gmail.com>

NFBNJ Chapters – Meeting dates, times & available at www.nfbnj.org
<http://www.nfbnj.org>

    At Large                                               Joe Ruffalo
973-743-0075     Nfbnj1 at verizon.net <mailto:Nfbnj1 at verizon.net>

    Capital                                                  Mary Jo Partyka
609-888-5459     choirnfb at gmail.com <mailto:choirnfb at gmail.com>

    Central Jersey                                    Mac Biggers
801-916-9753     macbiggers at yahoo.com <mailto:macbiggers at yahoo.com>

    Garden State                                     Ryan Stevens
856-520-0016     RYSteve at comcast.net <mailto:RYSteve at comcast.net>

    Northeast                                           Dan Facchini
201-906-8655     danfb at verizon.net <mailto:danfb at verizon.net>

    Northern                                             Rick Fox
973-743-6107     richardfox1 at comcast.net <mailto:richardfox1 at comcast.net>

    South Jersey Shore                          Phil Harrison
609-788-0890     pbharrison39 at comcast.net <mailto:pbharrison39 at comcast.net>

NFBNJ Divisions

Blind Students                                   Jonathan Zobek
609-216-0181     jrzobek at gmail.com <mailto:jrzobek at gmail.com>

Parents of Blind Children              Carol Castellano
973-377-0976     blindchildren at verizon.net
<mailto:blindchildren at verizon.net>

Senior Blind                                        Jane Degenshein
973-736-5785     Jdegen16 at comcast.net <mailto:Jdegen16 at comcast.net>

Sports & Recreation                                              Linda
Melendez            732-421-7063
lindamelendez220 at gmail.com <mailto:lindamelendez220 at gmail.com>

    Technology                                         Jane Degenshein
973-736-5785     Jdegen16 at comcast.net <mailto:Jdegen16 at comcast.net>

Programs, Projects & Committees

Adopt Adaptive Equipment                 Joe Ruffalo
973-743-0075                     Nfbnj1 at verizon.net
<mailto:Nfbnj1 at verizon.net>

BELL Academy                                   Mary Jo Partyka
609-888-5459                     choirnfb at gmail.com
<mailto:choirnfb at gmail.com>

Blind Children’s Resource Center   Carol Castellano   973-377-0976
blindchildren at verizon.net <mailto:blindchildren at verizon.net>

Blind Merchants                               Dan Facchini
201-906-8655                     danfb at verizon.net
<mailto:danfb at verizon.net>

Blind Parents                                     Joanna Mallard
201-354-0098                     joannmallard at gmail.com
<mailto:joannmallard at gmail.com>

Braille Mentoring Program                  Mary Jo Partyka
609-888-5459                     choirnfb at gmail.com
<mailto:choirnfb at gmail.com>

DeafBlind Committee                     Andrew Rees
732-659-6002                     amrees567 at gmail.com
<mailto:amrees567 at gmail.com>

Diabetic Committee                        Ed Godfrey
862-628-3657                     edgodfrey1957 at gmail.com
<mailto:edgodfrey1957 at gmail.com>

Fundraising/Grant Writing                  Ellen Sullivan
302-658-2268                     ems553 at comcast.net
<mailto:ems553 at comcast.net>

GreenDrop                                          Linda DeBerardinis
856-735-5559                      Ljdeber3 at comcast.net
<mailto:Ljdeber3 at comcast.net>

Guide Dog Committee                   Dan Facchini
201-906-8655                     danfb at verizon.net
<mailto:danfb at verizon.net>

HAVA: Help America                       Ryan Stevens
856-520-0016                RYSteve at comcast.net <mailto:RYSteve at comcast.net>

       Vote Act Liaisons                           Anthony Lanzilotti
609-361-3038     Tti777 at gmail.com <mailto:Tti777 at gmail.com>

                                                                    Andrew
Rees                 732-659-6002     amrees567 at gmail.com
<mailto:amrees567 at gmail.com>

KNFB Reader Liaison                       Rick Fox
973-743-6107                     Richardfox1 at comcast.net
<mailto:Richardfox1 at comcast.net>

Legislative Director                          Ryan Stevens
856-520-0016                RYSteve at comcast.net <mailto:RYSteve at comcast.net>

                                                                    Anthony
Lanzilotti             609-361-3038     Tti777 at gmail.com
<mailto:Tti777 at gmail.com>

Liability Insurance                            Phil Harrison
609-545-8575                     pbharrison39 at comcast.net
<mailto:pbharrison39 at comcast.net>

Membership Engagement Linda Melendez                      732-421-7063
lindamelendez220 at gmail.com <mailto:lindamelendez220 at gmail.com>

NFB-NEWSLINE®                              Jane Degenshein
973-736-5785                     Jdegen16 at comcast.net
<mailto:Jdegen16 at comcast.net>

PAC Plan Coordinator                    Mac Biggers
801-916-9753     macbiggers at yahoo.com <mailto:macbiggers at yahoo.com>

Parliamentarian                               Ryan Stevens
856-520-0016                RYSteve at comcast.net <mailto:RYSteve at comcast.net>

Public Relations/Press Corps                Annemarie Cooke
609-859-4084                     aec732 at gmail.com <mailto:aec732 at gmail.com>

                                                                Mary Jo
Partyka            609-888-5459                     choirnfb at gmail.com
<mailto:choirnfb at gmail.com>

Resolutions Committee                 Ryan Stevens
856-520-0016                     RYSteve at comcast.net
<mailto:RYSteve at comcast.net>

Scholarship Committee                 Evangelia Stone
917-570-3166                     EvangeliaStone at gmail.com

Social Media Coordinator             Zoraida Krell
201-638-3418                     krellbz at gmail.com
<mailto:krellbz at gmail.com>

Sounding Board                               Kathy Gabry
201-998-9427                     Specialk38 at aol.com
<mailto:Specialk38 at aol.com>

                                                                Annemarie
Cooke            609-859-4084                     aec732 at gmail.com
<mailto:aec732 at gmail.com>

                                                                Mary Jo
Partyka            609-888-5459                     choirnfb at gmail.com
<mailto:choirnfb at gmail.com>

Spanish Committee                                              Rose Santiago
201-892-6946                     rosa.santiago901 at gmail.com
<mailto:rosa.santiago901 at gmail.com>

Transit Committee                           Linda Melendez
732-421-7063                     lindamelendez220 at gmail.com
<mailto:lindamelendez220 at gmail.com>

Vehicle Donation Program                            Andrew Rees
732-659-6002                     amrees567 at gmail.com
<mailto:amrees567 at gmail.com>

Webmaster                                        Brian Mackey
610-750-6765                     webmaster at nfbnj.org
<mailto:Bmackey88 at gmail.com>

White Cane Committee                 Jane Degenshein         973-736-5785
Jdegen16 at comcast.net <mailto:Jdegen16 at comcast.net>

                                                                Ann Marie
Harris          856-589-8747                     Lovey1160 at gmail.com

Deadline for the Spring 2020 issue: March 15, 2020

CHECK US OUT ON THE WEB AT

www.nfbnj.org <http://www.nfbnj.org>         www.blindchildren.org
<http://www.blindchildren.org>

To receive The Sounding Board and other information via e-mail,

please contact Ellen Sullivan at ems553 at comcast.net
<mailto:ems553 at comcast.net>