[NFBNJ] National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey, Diabetic Committee Minutes from the September 5, 2019 Meeting and Agenda for the Thursday October 3, 2019 Meeting at 7 PM

ems553 at comcast.net ems553 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 30 03:30:39 UTC 2019

>From the Desk of Ed Godfrey, Chairman, Diabetic Committee NFBNJ

Submitted by Ellen Sullivan, Affiliate Secretary

National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey, Diabetic Committee

Minutes for September 5, 2019 Conference Call

Call:  605 468 8005 Code: 460994 pound

The Meeting was called to order at 8:10 by Committee Chairman Ed Godfrey

Members in attendance were: Chairman Ed Godfrey co-chair Angela Parone, Lori
DeMarco, Ward Biondi, Cynthia Jones, Don Wardlow, Cathy Butzler, Jocelyn
Santiago, Harvey and Linda Williams, Valerie Frank, and Carol Thomas.

1.  Ed Godfrey reviewed the notes submitted from the May 2 meeting.

2. Lori said that she was able to get the Dexcom glucose monitoring system
approved by Medicare. However, her husband had to file a grievance on her
behalf with Medicare.  Lori asked if anyone had the contact information for
Dr. Denise Robinson who spoke at our June meeting about the Dexcom system.
This prompted a discussion where Jocelyn talked about the Dexcom system and
the interaction with the insulin pumps. Jocelyn told us that she had an
excellent trainer name Michelle.  Michelle works for Minimed Medtronic
Company and is a Diabetic educator.  Some of the members wanted to know if
it was possible for Michelle to attend one of our meetings.  Jocelyn said
that she would talk to Michelle about coming on our call.  Jocelyn agreed to
ask Michelle if this was possible.

Angela is working on getting someone to come to our state convention to talk
about the Dexcom system.  However, she is getting a run around from these
companies.  One of the members suggested that perhaps someone could bring
their Dexcom system to the convention for others to look at.  Harvey's wife
Linda said that Harvey needs more training on his system.  Joselyn said that
she would forward his information to Michelle to see if she could help.
Jocelyn said that she would email the information to Ed regarding the CGM
system which could be forwarded to the Diabetic Committee.

3.  We talked about the state convention in November.  Several members said
that they were planning to attend.

4.  For the benefit of members who may not be aware of the state and
national listserv.  Angela and I gave the procedure for subscribing to the
listservs.

5.  Cynthia said that she was taking several medications along with her
insulin. As a result, she was experience low blood sugars.  Jocelyn
suggested that she contact her doctor and inquire as to whether she may
qualify for a Dexcom monitoring system.

6.  Harvey motioned to adjourned the meeting.  The meeting was adjourned at
8:55 P. M.

Minutes prepared by:

Ed Godfrey Chairman Diabetic Committee

  *******

Agenda

Thursday  October 3, 2019

7:00 pm

The call in number is 605 468 8005

The code is 460994.

1.  Call to order.

2.  Roll call.

3.  Review September 5, 2019 Minutes

4.  Update on the CGM Glucose monitoring system with Jocelyn along with
diabetic educator if available.

5. Review of requirements for being a member of this committee

6.  State convention update in November

7.  Around the Phone

5.  Adjourn

Agenda submitted by Ed Godfrey, Chairman Diabetic Committee